Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #15,556 of 15,897
I just got my X5iii a few weeks ago so pardon my ignorance. What is a custom kernel? And how does it help? Is it a worthwhile endeavor.
Thanks in advance.
Tal

Quoting Prispewnic (one of the two devs, the other being jkbuha):

SUMMARY:

Any operating system is a set of programs that control the operation of the entire device and are responsible for launching all user applications.

The Android kernel is one of the most important components of the operating system. The kernel is responsible for the interaction of hardware and the software part of the device. It consists of a set of drivers for device hardware, a subsystem for managing memory, security, network, and other important OS functions.

Kernels, like firmware, are official (created by Google programmers and or OEMs) and custom (created by independent developers and enthusiasts).

Here be the dedicated thread to X5iii custom kernel.

Mar 28, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #15,557 of 15,897
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #15,558 of 15,897
FiiO Music 1.1.9

(Now with sorting by album artist)

He even learned car-mode in landscape mode
Car mode.png

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #15,559 of 15,897
Hi everyone,

Just bought an X5III, I think it's an excellent player.

I also want to use it as desktop DAC. Does anyone know whether it is safe to keep the player plugged in for hours? will the battery suffer?.

Also, what is the best player app to use with this? I've tried neutron and while it got far more feature, i think i like fiio music better.

Thank you

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #15,560 of 15,897
Hi everyone,

Just bought an X5III, I think it's an excellent player.

I also want to use it as desktop DAC. Does anyone know whether it is safe to keep the player plugged in for hours? will the battery suffer?.

Also, what is the best player app to use with this? I've tried neutron and while it got far more feature, i think i like fiio music better.

Thank you

It is absolutely UNSAFE to leave the x5III plugged in for hours; the player will overheat and the battery could very well burst. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #15,561 of 15,897
The player obviously needs to be plugged in to be charged, but it's probably not smart to...

Leave plugged in during indexing/library scans.

Leave plugged in while display sleep timer is set to never sleep or at high value (10-30 minutes).

Leave plugged in inside leather case while above two precautions are not maintained.

Wish I could say this wasn't from personal experience but, uhhhhh

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #15,562 of 15,897
When playing, charging, or a combination, I always put it down with the display on it.
It is enough for him to maintain about 38 degrees Celsius
I use a 5V charger or power bank. This is probably the best option. It will cook in pants or jacket without charging. In his original pseudo-leather case, he'd probably be in silicon hell long ago ...

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #15,565 of 15,897
that might work, it sort of becomes a non-battery device on vehicle mode. but i'm not willing to take any risk..

the thing is, i sold my dac already. now i'm in a difficult position since listen on desk most of the time..

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #15,566 of 15,897
that might work, it sort of becomes a non-battery device on vehicle mode. but i'm not willing to take any risk..

the thing is, i sold my dac already. now i'm in a difficult position since listen on desk most of the time..

Vehicle mod is the perfect solution for me to listen at night if you prefer FiiO Music only, but as a DAC for PC refuses to work and automatically starts to work FiiO Music.
But the USB 3 port keeps the battery in the same condition without overheating.
And it will probably be a permanent solution when the battery dies

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #15,568 of 15,897
I see, good to hear when the battery dies it can still work via the USB..
I hope so, so far he is not able to start properly in Vehicle mode from the off state - he will hang on the boot screen. But I had a combination of frirmware and kernel when it worked reliably. I am now at 1.2.3 and kernel 3.41 and is not willing to wake up with either 5V or 9V power supply.

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #15,569 of 15,897
I hope so, so far he is not able to start properly in Vehicle mode from the off state - he will hang on the boot screen. But I had a combination of frirmware and kernel when it worked reliably. I am now at 1.2.3 and kernel 3.41 and is not willing to wake up with either 5V or 9V power supply.

have you tried a usb powerbank? it works for me on vehicle mode..

I have to say i like this player a lot, the sound suits my taste very much.. shame it couldn't be reliably used as DAC.. for now, i ordered some heatsink to reduce heat when used as dac.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #15,570 of 15,897
have you tried a usb powerbank? it works for me on vehicle mode..

I have to say i like this player a lot, the sound suits my taste very much.. shame it couldn't be reliably used as DAC.. for now, i ordered some heatsink to reduce heat when used as dac.
Most of all I use powerbank 9V for Vehicle mod, occasionally charger or USB port of PC. The broken Vehicle Mode boot worked correctly in the stock firmware 1.2.5, but after installing TWRP and the boot stopped working. Probably boot.img is responsible. No kernel change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back