FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6,841 of 7,088
Well the only other solution i can mention is downgrading firmware if you havent tried that yet.

Hmm well i doubt both slots have bad pins but... If it were me i would take it apart and see if the metal shield over the card slots could be removed to inspect the pins as maybe there is something going on there. Do you live in a very humid climate? The pins could be corroded so maybe running some iso alcohol poured in the slots might help. I have these Fibre optic cleaning sticks at work for cleaning LC connectors (ebay), they are very small and would likely fit in the slot great for electronics in general, or maybe some cotton and a tooth pick might work (ive have not tried either on a sc card slot). Im assuming you inserted the cards for the firmware while the unit was still off than holding the power button and the back button (top left hand corner of the wheel). If this doesn't work sounds like its either an issue with the processor/chip or the firmware which in this case you might be hooped. You can try contacting fiio to see if you can send the unit in, as it might be a firmware issue...they would obviously charge you and while you're at it i would get them to replace the battery while its in. So far my dealings with Fiio have not been steller, i've been bugging the crap out of them for the battery replacement. They claim they wont ship it to Canada as others have said when all that needs to happen is marking the package as dangerous goods. They gave me the option of shipping the x5ii back to them so they can change it but never responded when i asked about it. I've resorted to measuring the existing battery with a micrometer and trying to match the size on ebay...will let everyone know which battery i bought if i do end up getting it to fit and get it working. I also am having issues with the unit not going into deep sleep mode which is a firmware bug that never got fixed...they are not releasing any new firmware as they have told me. The battery issue is understandable and acceptable but the firmware issue is not, after some research i found others complaining about the same thing two years ago when they were releasing new firmware and apparently it was not fixed. This is also the reason why so far i am passing on the X5iii unless i hear that all the issues are fixed
Thanks for the suggestion I'll give opening it up and giving it a clean try, I live in Scotland so I don't think humidity is an issue it's also kept in a case that covers the slots and is rarely removed, I emailed fiio the other day waiting for a response, but as you and others have said I won't hold my breath for that, The sleep issue you are having only happened a couple of times with mine when I first got it but hasn't done it a long time, it does do an annoying thing sometimes when I wake it up from sleep it freezes won't play any music even though I can still navigate the menu options,I have to turn it off and on again and then its fine again, maybe it's time for an upgrade

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #6,842 of 7,088
"My x5 ii has suddenly stopped recognizing the sd cards, I've tried resetting but nothing changed, is there something I can do about this or is it done for it's only 2 years old"

Have you tested the cards elsewhere?
If the player no longer reads the card slots I would roll back to where an external drive will work and try that before I'd toss it.
I've tried both cards in my laptop card reader they're both fine , in the x5 and connected to the computer it shows up as an empty external drive asks me to please insert media,it's definatly the x5 that's the problem

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #6,843 of 7,088
Thanks for the suggestion I'll give opening it up and giving it a clean try, I live in Scotland so I don't think humidity is an issue it's also kept in a case that covers the slots and is rarely removed, I emailed fiio the other day waiting for a response, but as you and others have said I won't hold my breath for that, The sleep issue you are having only happened a couple of times with mine when I first got it but hasn't done it a long time, it does do an annoying thing sometimes when I wake it up from sleep it freezes won't play any music even though I can still navigate the menu options,I have to turn it off and on again and then its fine again, maybe it's time for an upgrade

So far I haven’t had any serious issues with my X5ii, just the occasional freezing up as you mentioned. The thing that bugs me the most is the not-so-randomness of the random play. I asked FiiO about that issue when they were doing firmware updates but it wasn’t really addressed. Then they announced that they were “done” with the X5ii. I didn’t like that and thought I’d have to consider a different make the next time.

Speaking of which what is a good non-FiiO DAP recommendation? I like the dual micro SD slots though. I move my X5ii amongst my 3 DAC/AMP/headphone systems and if my FiiO craps out I’ll be screwed.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #6,844 of 7,088
So far I haven’t had any serious issues with my X5ii, just the occasional freezing up as you mentioned. The thing that bugs me the most is the not-so-randomness of the random play. I asked FiiO about that issue when they were doing firmware updates but it wasn’t really addressed. Then they announced that they were “done” with the X5ii. I didn’t like that and thought I’d have to consider a different make the next time.

Speaking of which what is a good non-FiiO DAP recommendation? I like the dual micro SD slots though. I move my X5ii amongst my 3 DAC/AMP/headphone systems and if my FiiO craps out I’ll be screwed.
Fingers crossed you get a few more years out of it,I came straight from an iPod classic to the x5 and for ages thought the random play was unusable in comparison, but the more you have on it the better it gets I'm up to just over 19000 tracks and I use random alot and it hasn't reapeted in a while although it does take notions for particular bands or genres,I maybe be about to make a huge mistake but I'm eyeing up the x7 mark ii as a replacement

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #6,845 of 7,088

i feel that fiio was not done with the X5ii especially for what was once a flagship device, it needed one more firmware update. The funny thing is i have never had an issue with my X3ii. They than jumped into Gen 3 which is going a completely different direction with android and i feel that they were not ready yet to take on such a large endeavor which i hear still has a ton of bugs. I have the x1ii for my wife which also has a laggy UI and not sure im a fan of the touch wheel...i prefer the older style tactile wheel which seems more accurate. In any case i still would like to try the x5iii but at this time there are a ton of other offerings since the market is very competitive. Having not owned any other DAP's i have no idea if the experience would be any better as my experience with Chinese companies in general are not great to deal with for reasons such as google translations integrated into email communications, time difference, inability to have a phone conversation etc. In any case im strongly considering something from the Cayin Lineup for my next purchase. Fiio used to be great at listening to their customers... not sure thats the case anymore but before anyone jumps to any conclusion the best thing would be to hop on the X5iii thread and see what those guys are saying or even Fiios own website and track the firmware updates to make a well informed decision before purchasing.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #6,847 of 7,088
How do you search in folder view? I swear I used to do that, say looking at one card (can only search one card if I remember correctly) of artists from A-K I could do a search, hit say G and then see all the G artists. I guess I never wrote the procedure down and I’m struggling with the manual. Help!

I’m not interested in using the library, only folder view.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #6,848 of 7,088
How do you search in folder view? I swear I used to do that, say looking at one card (can only search one card if I remember correctly) of artists from A-K I could do a search, hit say G and then see all the G artists. I guess I never wrote the procedure down and I’m struggling with the manual. Help!

I’m not interested in using the library, only folder view.

Good question...i always use folder view just seems easier since i swap sd cards often.

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #6,849 of 7,088
I think this is the search feature I remember using, but I have not tried it out to confirm yet: I remember the value of it being you could hit say the first letter in my case folders sorted by artist and avoid some scrolling; maybe not worth it if something you need is at the beginning or end (you can scroll backwards) of your list for that card (remember can only search the card you are looking at), but if in the middle it saved some time.

Firmware 2.0
1. Added library search function: activate by holding Shortcuts button in any category or folder browsing screen; use previous / next buttons to switch between numbers and alphabet);

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #6,850 of 7,088
I think this is the search feature I remember using, but I have not tried it out to confirm yet: I remember the value of it being you could hit say the first letter in my case folders sorted by artist and avoid some scrolling; maybe not worth it if something you need is at the beginning or end (you can scroll backwards) of your list for that card (remember can only search the card you are looking at), but if in the middle it saved some time.

Firmware 2.0
1. Added library search function: activate by holding Shortcuts button in any category or folder browsing screen; use previous / next buttons to switch between numbers and alphabet);

I never knew that existed! That's great though...I normally use folder view and have my music organized by Genre\Album Artist\Album\ so I can pretty quickly find what I'm looking for without too much scrolling. But sometimes I want to go a little more random and find an album I haven't listened to for awhile. Probably a third of my music files are concert recordings and I tag the "album" using a date/location (i.e. YYYY-MM-DD - City) so in the Album list it would take forever to scroll down just to get to the As. I'd usually reverse scroll and work my way back from Z. But it would still take forever to get back up to the middle of the alphabet. So this search is great, I can use it and arbitrarily pick a letter and see what album strikes my fancy at the moment. Just tried searching on G and am now listening to Miles Davis 'Get Up With It', a recording I love but haven't listened to in quite awhile. 'He Loved Him Madly' is such a great track. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #6,851 of 7,088
Not sure if anyone cares at this point but I managed to find a replacement battery for the x5ii that fits perfectly since fiio would not ship to me in Canada. It's footprint is slightly smaller on heigh and width but a very slight bit thicker which makes for a tight but perfect fit. I had to remove and solder the board connector to the battery than just used a few peices of heat shrink. Just charging now and no fires...will report back if something happens. Careful on the board connector I ended up pulling out the whole connector exposing the 4 metal pins as it was lightly glued on...I used some two part expoxy to reattach it. I can verify that in fact the connector is designed to be removed easily, it does not slide you basically need to wedge it straight up with a tiny flat blade. The micro torx screwdriver is the same used on the iPhone 6 so they can be had for dirt cheap on eBay and the existing battery is difficult to remove from the glue. Overall a very easy fix though.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #6,852 of 7,088
Not sure if anyone cares at this point but I managed to find a replacement battery for the x5ii that fits perfectly since fiio would not ship to me in Canada. It's footprint is slightly smaller on heigh and width but a very slight bit thicker which makes for a tight but perfect fit. I had to remove and solder the board connector to the battery than just used a few peices of heat shrink. Just charging now and no fires...will report back if something happens. Careful on the board connector I ended up pulling out the whole connector exposing the 4 metal pins as it was lightly glued on...I used some two part expoxy to reattach it. I can verify that in fact the connector is designed to be removed easily, it does not slide you basically need to wedge it straight up with a tiny flat blade. The micro torx screwdriver is the same used on the iPhone 6 so they can be had for dirt cheap on eBay and the existing battery is difficult to remove from the glue. Overall a very easy fix though.

Please post a link or something.

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #6,853 of 7,088
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3300mAh-3-7...643214?hash=item1a4a2d76ce:g:7koAAOSwx2haxDLe

It charged up great...have not had a chance to use it for a few days though so not sure how long it will last. Most of the other batteries with the same form factor/ part number are showing 3000mah instead of 3300 so it's possible the seller has something wrong but there is no way of knowing since the batteries have no text....I will likely run a runtime test though. In either case even if it is only 3000Mah this would theoretically cut your play time by about 45 minutes based on 10 hours with the standard battery. This is still far better than a few hours you would normally get with an exhausted three year old battery. I was not able to find another battery that was close to the same dimensions as stock. You might be able to go thicker but like i said it just fit in there enough to close the cover as i would suspect its about 0.5 to 1MM thicker than stock.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #6,854 of 7,088
Hi!

I just bought a second hand Fiio X5 II as a secondary DAP. Everything works fine however I'm surprised that after turning it on the player automatically starts to play a track from the position I left it when turned it off. Is it a glitch or a design feature?

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #6,855 of 7,088
Hi!

I just bought a second hand Fiio X5 II as a secondary DAP. Everything works fine however I'm surprised that after turning it on the player automatically starts to play a track from the position I left it when turned it off. Is it a glitch or a design feature?
You can control it in the Play Settings / Resume Mode. OFF - no memory, SONG - last song, POSITION - last position. Yours is now on POSITION.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back