FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 11, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #6,871 of 7,088
Jan 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #6,873 of 7,088
Yes, should hit the sweet spot just right :)

This is a DAP I used for almost two years before, I wish I had one now sometimes.
I know what you mean. I've moved onto ak se100, dx200, wm1a, opus 1 and Cayin n5ii. I love them all in different ways but I miss having a simple fiio for work

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #6,874 of 7,088
I don't think the mini USB port will output any music.
There's only the choice of Line and Coax outputs.

But, yes for OTG functions a special OTG cable is needed.
It must be able to output an analog signal via the port, don't know about digital (I'll check when battery recharges). You could dock to the K5 and output the signal via the USB - but that was definitely only analog.

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #6,875 of 7,088
It must be able to output an analog signal via the port, don't know about digital (I'll check when battery recharges). You could dock to the K5 and output the signal via the USB - but that was definitely only analog.

Sure, but the Fiio just becomes a storage device which I assumed was not the intention.

So yes, connect the player to any computer (or player with a USB port) and you can access the files and bypass the internal DAC converter and controls.
A regular USB cable is all that's needed but be sure it's up to Fiio's qualifications.

An OTG cable is only needed to connect another drive to the Fiio to expand the players memory.
The X5ii must be rolled back to keep this function though.

Jan 12, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #6,876 of 7,088
My year old Fiio X5 II has a defective center button as such that it sticks most of the time. It first manifested as loud clicks when pressing down the center button sometimes, but it now sadly evolved into a sticking button, as I stated. Dang it.

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #6,877 of 7,088
@Koukol - I tried tonight with a few different USB cables and DAC/amps. Wasn't able to get any signal (as suspected)

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #6,878 of 7,088
@Koukol - I tried tonight with a few different USB cables and DAC/amps. Wasn't able to get any signal (as suspected)

That's pretty much what I thought would happen.
You'd need another player like my Oppo 95 or any PC running Foobar or VLC etc.
Even then we'd only be accessing the files rendering the X5ii as nothing more than a very expensive USB stick.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #6,879 of 7,088
Hello,
I've wanted to try balanced wiring for my new headphones with my Fiio X5II. Is this a possibility ?
I have moved up to HD800 and while they sound superb with the Fiio, I've been told that a wider soundstage and clarity are available using balanced wiring.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #6,880 of 7,088
The HD 800's cable is already balanced up to the plug, which is single-ended to match the X5 II's single-ended headphone output. No, the X5 II doesn't offer a balanced output. No need to worry, though: The advantage of balanced drive is only apparent in amps with both options – a purely single-ended topology can sound just as good.

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #6,881 of 7,088
Maybe this question is weird, but I was wondering, why the Line-Out volume can be adjusted, if it's supposed to be a Line-Out signal?

Should I reduce it to - say - 50 to prevent people from getting hurt when they accidentally plug their headphones in the wrong hole? (I mean, it's kinda difficult not to mix them up, with both being identical save for the label?!)
Would reducing the Volume of the Line-Out affect the volume that I get on my headphone amp?

Also, is the battery life better when using the Line Out, even with the LO volume at 120?

Don't throw rocks, I'm not currently able to test it for myself, that's why I'm asking. :)

P.S.: Is it possible to use both sockets to "share" the music with somebody? (Or should I get one of these splitters?)

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #6,882 of 7,088
Yes, the battery life is slightly increased if you use the line out output instead of the headphone one. And I’m pretty sure that you cannot use both outputs at the same time, but not completely sure.

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #6,883 of 7,088
Maybe this question is weird, but I was wondering, why the Line-Out volume can be adjusted, if it's supposed to be a Line-Out signal?

Should I reduce it to - say - 50 to prevent people from getting hurt when they accidentally plug their headphones in the wrong hole? (I mean, it's kinda difficult not to mix them up, with both being identical save for the label?!)
Would reducing the Volume of the Line-Out affect the volume that I get on my headphone amp?

Also, is the battery life better when using the Line Out, even with the LO volume at 120?

Don't throw rocks, I'm not currently able to test it for myself, that's why I'm asking. :)

P.S.: Is it possible to use both sockets to "share" the music with somebody? (Or should I get one of these splitters?)

Line-out bypasses the amplification stage so there isn’t any attenuation of the full power signal from the DACs output. If you adjust the volume for the line-out it would be digital attenuation which typically reduces signal fidelity. Sometimes using digital attenuation is needed because the amp can not handle the Voltage output from the line-out and the amp will clip / distort.

The whole reason you want to use line-out if using an external amp is to bypass the internal amp. Adding amp stages together also adds distortion (each amplification stage will add its own distortion), which is known as ‘double amping’. If worried about accidentally plugging headphones directly to the line-out port then you can purchase a small plug that covers the line-out port.

Battery life is about double when I use line-out (~20 hours) given that I’m not having to power the internal amp.

Get a splitter instead of plugging in to both the headphone out and line-out. Also, when one is being used the other is disabled if I recal correctly.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #6,885 of 7,088

You can set it on or off, Off should be the way to be used so the signal so you can set the volume with your amp. I had volume issues in the past when I use my HifiMan He560, I solved it with line out volume off and an external DAC with a more powerful exit than the fiio one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back