FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #6,827 of 7,088
I am using 2 x 400 gb cards but note that I am using folder view only.

I do the same, folder navigation. So it's great to know that I have no restrictions capacity-wise. Thanks for the information.

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #6,828 of 7,088
I am using 2 x 400 gb cards but note that I am using folder view only.
Does this imply that the music library doesn't support 2 x 400 GB? Have you tested it? (Just curious – so far I can get along with 2 x 128 GB.)

Sep 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #6,829 of 7,088
Does this imply that the music library doesn't support 2 x 400 GB? Have you tested it? (Just curious – so far I can get along with 2 x 128 GB.)
I have not tested it but I would half expect there to be problems given it seems from comments in the thread that larger collections can occasionally run into library issues (it seems it's more the computing capacity), so I have stayed away from even trying it given I prefer to use folder view anyway. Also note that formatting the card in the player did not work for me, it capped the capacity at I think 256, so I went back to the stock format for the card and in folder view I have not had issues.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #6,830 of 7,088
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #6,831 of 7,088
Just picked up a used x5ii, had an x1 which melted due to a faulty charge cable from staples. The x1 was my main device a few years ago before i set it for Gym duty and got an x3ii. The x3ii is now gym duty and the x5ii is my main device now. So far loving the dual sd card slots, the screen is great compared to the x3ii. Cant really comment on a side by side comparison to the x3ii yet although i did some informal side by side comparisons to my little dot i+ with my hifiman 400i's out of the x5ii line out vs the headphone port. The little dot does pull more details and creates a wider soundstage with more extended highs, surpisingly it really doesnt add any warmth compared to the amp in the x5 but this could be my tube selection. Great amp for the x5ii though at the desktop!

Sep 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #6,832 of 7,088
@FiiO

Im looking for a replacement battery for my X5ii, however i've read that you no longer ship to Canada due to customs? I've checked on some similar batteries on ebay and they all have a single red and single black cable coming off the battery. The Fiio's battery connector has two red and two black, can i solder the two red leads from the harness to the single red on a replacement battery and the two blacks together with the single black on the replacement battery?

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #6,833 of 7,088
@FiiO

Im looking for a replacement battery for my X5ii, however i've read that you no longer ship to Canada due to customs? I've checked on some similar batteries on ebay and they all have a single red and single black cable coming off the battery. The Fiio's battery connector has two red and two black, can i solder the two red leads from the harness to the single red on a replacement battery and the two blacks together with the single black on the replacement battery?

Guys they said it should be fine in case anyone is looking to do the same. Trying to get the battery from them first but if i do end of having to get a third party battery ill post it here whether or not it worked or exploded lol. On a side note i noticed a few forums where the X5ii will not go into idle standby mode after fast forward is used. I have a bit of a fix as it seems that fiio has dropped all firmware support on these devices and will not be releasing any new firmware. All you have to do is select another song in the same folder than pause it as you would normally and the device should enter idle standby...this is easier than setting the sleep timer each time.

Edit:

just found a better fix that is much easier for the player not going into standby/deep sleep after using the fast forward function. It appears to think the player is still playing even when paused and the screen times out or the power button is pressed to turn off the screen. The solution is to hit the back button to go back into the artist view or anywhere other than the now playing screen once the song is paused and either tap the power button to turn off the screen or let it time out. After that the player will go to sleep!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #6,835 of 7,088
My x5 ii has suddenly stopped recognizing the sd cards, I've tried resetting but nothing changed, is there something I can do about this or is it done for it's only 2 years old

You can contact FiiO for one thing :)

It doesn't recognize any of the microSD cards? Both slots?

You can also try

1. Do a reset. Keep the power pressed about 30 seconds or more

2. Do a firmware reinstall.

If neither works, contact FiiO, they should have a solution for you :)

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #6,836 of 7,088
You can contact FiiO for one thing :)

It doesn't recognize any of the microSD cards? Both slots?

You can also try

1. Do a reset. Keep the power pressed about 30 seconds or more

2. Do a firmware reinstall.

If neither works, contact FiiO, they should have a solution for you :)
Yes it's both cards but in slot 2 it comes up with file system not supported no matter what card I tried, in slot 1 nothing happens, tried all the resetting and redoing firmware thing, I'll give contacting fiio a go, thanks for trying to help

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #6,837 of 7,088
Yes it's both cards but in slot 2 it comes up with file system not supported no matter what card I tried, in slot 1 nothing happens, tried all the resetting and redoing firmware thing, I'll give contacting fiio a go, thanks for trying to help

They wont help you most likely...they will basically say the same thing everyone is saying here. Try a new SD card...ive had them go bad before in my raspberry pi makeshift scada system i built. How exactly were you able to reinstall the firmware if it wont read the sd card?

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #6,838 of 7,088
They wont help you most likely...they will basically say the same thing everyone is saying here. Try a new SD card...ive had them go bad before in my raspberry pi makeshift scada system i built. How exactly were you able to reinstall the firmware if it wont read the sd card?
Redoing the firmware didn't work obviously, I used a different card downloaded the firmware and nothing happens when I put that card in,I checked the cards in my laptop card reader they're both fine.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #6,839 of 7,088
Redoing the firmware didn't work obviously, I used a different card downloaded the firmware and nothing happens when I put that card in,I checked the cards in my laptop card reader they're both fine.

Well the only other solution i can mention is downgrading firmware if you havent tried that yet.

Hmm well i doubt both slots have bad pins but... If it were me i would take it apart and see if the metal shield over the card slots could be removed to inspect the pins as maybe there is something going on there. Do you live in a very humid climate? The pins could be corroded so maybe running some iso alcohol poured in the slots might help. I have these Fibre optic cleaning sticks at work for cleaning LC connectors (ebay), they are very small and would likely fit in the slot great for electronics in general, or maybe some cotton and a tooth pick might work (ive have not tried either on a sc card slot). Im assuming you inserted the cards for the firmware while the unit was still off than holding the power button and the back button (top left hand corner of the wheel). If this doesn't work sounds like its either an issue with the processor/chip or the firmware which in this case you might be hooped. You can try contacting fiio to see if you can send the unit in, as it might be a firmware issue...they would obviously charge you and while you're at it i would get them to replace the battery while its in. So far my dealings with Fiio have not been steller, i've been bugging the crap out of them for the battery replacement. They claim they wont ship it to Canada as others have said when all that needs to happen is marking the package as dangerous goods. They gave me the option of shipping the x5ii back to them so they can change it but never responded when i asked about it. I've resorted to measuring the existing battery with a micrometer and trying to match the size on ebay...will let everyone know which battery i bought if i do end up getting it to fit and get it working. I also am having issues with the unit not going into deep sleep mode which is a firmware bug that never got fixed...they are not releasing any new firmware as they have told me. The battery issue is understandable and acceptable but the firmware issue is not, after some research i found others complaining about the same thing two years ago when they were releasing new firmware and apparently it was not fixed. This is also the reason why so far i am passing on the X5iii unless i hear that all the issues are fixed

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #6,840 of 7,088
"My x5 ii has suddenly stopped recognizing the sd cards, I've tried resetting but nothing changed, is there something I can do about this or is it done for it's only 2 years old"

Have you tested the cards elsewhere?
If the player no longer reads the card slots I would roll back to where an external drive will work and try that before I'd toss it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back