FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 16, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5,281 of 7,088

Why are you using a Grado if not for that sound, which is sweet and clear ? 
biggrin.gif

I love their house sound with most music. Cannot tolerate the lack of bass and sub bass though. 

grado and it sounds great but with certain songs the sound is a little sharp.

May 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #5,283 of 7,088

With the SR125's...yes.
Imo it's because the X5ii has an EQ. (I don't know if the Ibasso does)

Just reduce around the 1K-4K frequencies that are often creating the harshness from a HP like the SR125's
I have to do this a lot with my brick walled CDS.
mad.gif

Why are you using a Grado if not for that sound, which is sweet and clear ? 
biggrin.gif

I love their house sound with most music. Cannot tolerate the lack of bass and sub bass though. 

All my HP's (AKG, Grado and Sennies) are great but not perfect.
Yes, the Grado's are clearer (less veiled) than the 600 but the inherent sizzle makes listening to badly recorded music unbearable for me.

Unlike many others here I have no problem tweaking music with an EQ.
After all every HP we own has its own EQ setting (curve).

I also make small adjustments with my Plasma TV settings for imperfect DVD/BDs.

May 16, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #5,284 of 7,088

Yes, the Grado's are clearer (less veiled) than the 600 but the inherent sizzle makes listening to badly recorded music unbearable for me.

In a perfect World

quite right, the grado to rock are awesome but with bad records can not hear.

May 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #5,285 of 7,088

In a perfect World

You would have an easier time screeching nails on a table than listen to bad recorded music with grados. 

I use EQ with everything, except ie800, because I actually find their signature ideal for my music 99% of time. Very far from neutral, but it is what I enjoy. 

The day they create a perfect headphone, Imma be happy.

May 17, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #5,286 of 7,088
I just purchased a FiiO X5 II, I love its sound (better than my FiiO X3), but I am embarrassed to ask...

How do you turn it on?

No, silly, I CAN turn it on -- by holding the power button with the blue light on the side. It then times out while music is playing, in that the display goes dark, though the music continues. I then have to again touch the blue-lighted power switch before I can make the scroll wheel do anything. When I am done, I am not quite sure how to put it into the standby mode from which it wakes up quickly.

As I said, I can make it work, but I feel like I am not doing it right, and the Quick Start guide that comes with it really doesn't cover this simple stuff.

Thanks for any help you can give.

May 17, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,287 of 7,088
Hi

The screen goes black after a certain time as set in the menu system (Screen Timeout), this is normal. Some buttons can be used while the screen is blank, again set in the menu system (Key-Lock Settings). I have mine set to Lockscreen 3. This gives you the most bottons that remain active when the screen is off.

From memory, it's the power button to re-active the screen, the centre button to pause and unpause the current track and the bottom two buttons to track skip back and forth and fast forward and rewind the current track if you keep them pressed.

So all the above-mentioned buttons act just like as if the screen was on really.

Regards

Darren

May 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,288 of 7,088
  Hi

The screen goes black after a certain time as set in the menu system (Screen Timeout), this is normal. Some buttons can be used while the screen is blank, again set in the menu system (Key-Lock Settings). I have mine set to Lockscreen 3. This gives you the most bottons that remain active when the screen is off.

From memory, it's the power button to re-active the screen, the centre button to pause and unpause the current track and the bottom two buttons to track skip back and forth and fast forward and rewind the current track if you keep them pressed.

So all the above-mentioned buttons act just like as if the screen was on really.

Regards

Darren

Thanks so much @Darren Cotter   I will change my lock screen settings.

May 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,289 of 7,088
No worries John, happy to help.

I was just about to ask you what headphones/IEM's you were using, but decided to look at your profile. What in the name of all that's holy is going on there?

May 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #5,290 of 7,088
Yeah I keep mine on lock-screen 3 too.

If I need to scan through a song (or go to the next) when EQing I just push the power button to put it in sleep mode.
When finished I push it again to get back to the EQ controls.

May 17, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,291 of 7,088
Hi,

Could someone explain some of the new FW 2.0 features?

I am unsure what the following settings mean and do not know when you would use each option:

Play Settings -> Lowpass filter mode  (Gradual/Steep) 
Play Settings -> ReplayGain (None/Track/Album)
Play Settings -> Fixed level (0db/-3db/-6db)
System Settings -> SPDIF out (D2P/DoP)

Thanks very much,

Shannon

May 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #5,292 of 7,088
No worries John, happy to help.

I was just about to ask you what headphones/IEM's you were using, but decided to look at your profile. What in the name of all that's holy is going on there?

"My name is John and I'm a Gradoholic!" See here.

So far, I have used the FiiO X5ii with my Grado GS1000i's (to my mind, my best Grados), my Grado RS2e (best on-ear Grados for me), and AKG K3003i IEMs, driving directly from the headphone jack for a portable setup.

For a desktop setup, I have used the serial digital output to my Schiit Bifrost Multibit Uber USB2 DAC, going then to either my Schiit Lyr 2 amp to my Grado PS1000e headphones, or to my HiFiMAN EF-6 amp and to my HiFiMAN HE-6 headphones.

All sound really great.

May 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #5,293 of 7,088
  Hi,

Could someone explain some of the new FW 2.0 features?

System Settings -> SPDIF out (D2P/DoP)

I asked about that one too, and couldn't get an answer. My FW 1.1 plays DSD out of coax to my Bifrost (that isn't DSD) and it plays just fine - I wonder what the "new" mode is?

With the X5ii arriving, I go X5ii coax -> Bifrost -> Lyr 2, and it's fantastic. The Bifrost has so much more juice than the line-out of any DAP, it unlocked a tonne of headroom.

May 17, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #5,294 of 7,088
I love the Lockscreen 3 feature.  Its the one thing that has kept me from getting the X7.  I can stop or skip songs in my car without having to take my eyes off the road.

May 17, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5,295 of 7,088
Regarding play settings:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/786112/official-x5-2nd-gen-beta-firmware-download-and-discussion-thread-version-1-27-library-search-function-replaygain-filter-options/60#post_12311847

Users who are viewing this thread

Back