FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 21, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #5,311 of 7,088

Usage guide of the new USB DAC Windows driver for FiiO X-series players: http://www.head-fi.org/t/808890/usage-guide-of-the-new-usb-dac-windows-driver-for-fiio-x-series-players

In that article, we will show you how to configure and use the new DAC driver for basic ASIO output as well as DSD ASIO 
output (with Foobar2000). Comparing to the old version, the new driver ismore convenient to use. It can be installed without 
first connecting the player to the computer and is compatible with the X3, X5, X3 2nd gen, X5 2nd gen and X7. You need to
only install it for onceand have it work with all these models as well as the new players (with DAC function)that we will release in the future.For more features of the new DAC driver, please check this link:http://www.fiio.net/en/story/426

Best Regards,

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #5,313 of 7,088
Hello everone, i got the X5II yesterday, and i must say im a little disappointed. I got a Sennheiser HD650, but the X5 does not get the volume out of it as my old good X3 (1 gen) gets. High gain im at 100-110, and with my soundtrack music 120 is not enough. Am i missing something? I cant believe that a 379€ X5 cant handle it and my 140€ X3 from 2.5 years ago have no problem whatsoever. :mad:

May 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,314 of 7,088
Hello everone, i got the X5II yesterday, and i must say im a little disappointed. I got a Sennheiser HD650, but the X5 does not get the volume out of it as my old good X3 (1 gen) gets. High gain im at 100-110, and with my soundtrack music 120 is not enough. Am i missing something? I cant believe that a 379€ X5 cant handle it and my 140€ X3 from 2.5 years ago have no problem whatsoever.
mad.gif

What are you trying to do ? 
biggrin.gif

How in the world is X5II at high gain not enough for HD650? 

Do you maybe have EQ active ? 

EDIT::: On second though, even with EQ active, and all sliders at -6DB, I am not sure if at 120 it would not be too loud for HD650 and comfortable listening. 

IS your music, by any chance classical, or extremely silent in their recording ? 

EDIT 2 ::: I do have some pieces for which I have to raise the volume extremely high when listening to them, but then, I found it takes less time to edit those pieces in a music editing software, or use replaygain on them, than to modify volume to make them louder. 

EDIT3 ::: X5II has replaygain active, maybe your songs have very much replaygain appolied to them and it makes them too silent 

May 21, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,316 of 7,088
IS your music, by any chance classical, or extremely silent in their recording ? 

EDIT 2 ::: I do have some pieces for which I have to raise the volume extremely high when listening to them, but then, I found it takes less time to edit those pieces in a music editing software, or use replaygain on them, than to modify volume to make them louder. 

EDIT3 ::: X5II has replaygain active, maybe your songs have very much replaygain appolied to them and it makes them too silent 

Im listening to Soundtrack music like Ivan Torrent, Two steps from hell ect.. and yes, comes close to classical.
Without EQ its louder indeed. My X3 only has bass&trebble as EQ options, not so many as this one have. Somehow i hate 10203958 options for EQ, never know what to do with it :D

May 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,317 of 7,088
Im listening to Soundtrack music like Ivan Torrent, Two steps from hell ect.. and yes, comes close to classical.
Without EQ its louder indeed. My X3 only has bass&trebble as EQ options, not so many as this one have. Somehow i hate 10203958 options for EQ, never know what to do with it
biggrin.gif

Makes sense then. 
biggrin.gif

With really loud metal and without EQ, X5II is way too loud at 110 with HD650.

You should check for replaygain, it is in settings, turn it off and see it the situation is better. 

May 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #5,318 of 7,088
Makes sense then. :D

With really loud metal and without EQ, X5II is way too loud at 110 with HD650.

You should check for replaygain, it is in settings, turn it off and see it the situation is better. 

Firmware was on 1.2 and i have updated it to 2.0 somehow its better now. 100 on high gain is good! (Replay gain off)
But with EQ its not loud, but read about that. So any of you use EQ?
I got i E17 i can use if i really need to blow my head off :D

May 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #5,319 of 7,088
Firmware was on 1.2 and i have updated it to 2.0 somehow its better now. 100 on high gain is good! (Replay gain off)
But with EQ its not loud, but read about that. So any of you use EQ?
I got i E17 i can use if i really need to blow my head off
biggrin.gif

Or my new (Used for 2 hours) E12A I have for sale at £99. Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.

May 22, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #5,320 of 7,088
Well i think im returning my Fiio X5, im just to disappointed.
The volume is good now, but im not getting the sound out of it that i get out of my X3.
I have played a lot with the EQ settings, but im just not getting it right, for now i am not seeing that the upgrade is "worth" it.
Am i doing something wrong? Most reviews are so great about the device, but im just not hearing it. 

With EQ off i miss depth especially with soundtrack music, i miss the drums basses/any bass at all. I know the HD650 are 
very clear/neutral headphones, but my X3 im getting way more out of it. But the X5 has way more clearer audio. Do any of you
guys listening to Soundtrack music, and got tips for EQ settings (or not use it at all?)
Man im torn apart here....

May 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #5,322 of 7,088
  Well i think im returning my Fiio X5, im just to disappointed.
The volume is good now, but im not getting the sound out of it that i get out of my X3.
I have played a lot with the EQ settings, but im just not getting it right, for now i am not seeing that the upgrade is "worth" it.
Am i doing something wrong? Most reviews are so great about the device, but im just not hearing it. 

With EQ off i miss depth especially with soundtrack music, i miss the drums basses/any bass at all. I know the HD650 are 
very clear/neutral headphones, but my X3 im getting way more out of it. But the X5 has way more clearer audio. Do any of you
guys listening to Soundtrack music, and got tips for EQ settings (or not use it at all?)
Man im torn apart here....

+6
+2
+2
+8

But I am using this for other headphones, that really need it 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #5,323 of 7,088
  For anyone in the USA who is interested, B&H in New York City has the new Black and limited edition Gold X5s in stock. I picked up the gold one today.

Gold: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249199-REG/fiio_x5_ii_gold_x5_2nd_gen_portable.html
Black: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249200-REG/fiio_x5_ii_black_x5_2nd_gen_portable.html 

At first the box is deceptive, as it still shows the original titanium colored X5

But as you look closer, the box lists all 3 colors and Gold is checked off

The side of the box has FiiOs new slogan

This is the brand new Gold X5 once you open the box

Here is the Gold X5 next to the original Titanium X5. Unfortunately you can't really see how gold it is from this picture

Here are the accessories that come in the box

Well, that's....fantastically annoying.  The one thing I don't like about the X5ii is that they didn't have a black version like the original X5, so now, months after I pulled the trigger and bought one, they come out with it.  I'm not about to buy a second one over a color, but that's a bit of a kick in the pants.

I have to say, though, tossing out that terrible plastic case and getting a soft phone case that clips to my belt is the best thing I ever did.  I would have vastly preferred the silicon; at least it protects the player.  The plastic, quite frankly, doesn't, which I found out when it slipped out of my hands and scratched up a corner.

May 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5,324 of 7,088
Sounds like the X5ii is just not for you, MG.
We all hear differently.
I sold my 650's after 6 months of trying to adjust to them...they were too veiled for me.

I gotta say I hate the plastic shell that's suppose to protect the player.
I transfer files from my laptop on the couch so the damn player keeps sliding off it.
Fortunately it's onto a carpet.
However, the damn thing now has a crack almost the entire length of the shell
I bought those little sticky bumpers which worked for 2 months then they all fell off leaving a gooey mess :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back