FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #5,326 of 7,088
Not sure if this has been asked.. But how is the scroll wheel on the new units? I know the one I had was very loose..

it's stiffer and easier to do step scrolling

May 24, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #5,328 of 7,088
Hello all.

I am almost set for the X5 2nd gen.
The other nominees are X3 2nd , Aune M2 , Cayin N5 and Shanling M2 .

Whatever i choose will be paired with the Fiio E12 using line out only.

Any of the aforementioned daps better than the X5 2nd gen in terms of sound quality ?
I don't really care about UI , i normally play through folders and not playlists or search by artist or anything else.

I read good stuff about the Aune M2 .

The pair "dap+E12" will drive the fostex t50rp mk3 ... (if pairing with these matters in terms of sound signature) 

Is Fiio going to release new players in the coming months ? If so , maybe i should wait a bit ...

Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #5,329 of 7,088
Hello all.

Any of the aforementioned daps better than the X5 2nd gen in terms of sound quality ?
I don't really care about UI , i normally play through folders and not playlists or search by artist or anything else.

The pair "dap+E12" will drive the fostex t50rp mk3 ... (if pairing with these matters in terms of sound signature) 

Is Fiio going to release new players in the coming months ? If so , maybe i should wait a bit ...

Thanks in advance.

X3 gen 2 and x5 gen 2 sound quaility difference is very very small

May 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #5,330 of 7,088
Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with smy1, the difference between the X3ii and X5ii is relatively small.. The main upgrade you're paying extra for is the better screen, dual sdcard slots, and more power. However, if you're going to be using it line out to the Fiio E12 anyways, I'd say save yourself the extra $100, and go with the X3ii.

However, you did mention the Shanling M2, it is a fantastic dap, with a very analog sound signature. Very airy in the Mids, which lends to very good instrument separation. Personally, I chose the M2 over the X3ii, and I choose the M2 over the X5ii as well.. However, I didn't choose the M2 over the iBasso DX80. For me and my preferences, it has everything I wanted out of a Dap. But at $350, you might as well spend the extra $23 to get the Shanling M5 from Bright Audio on Aliexpress for $373. Don't be fooled by the initial Output impedance specs.. Shanling got the original readings using their procedures for Home Audio.. But recently found out that the mobile dap industry uses a different method, so when they switched to the mobile dap standard, they came out with 0.18 output impedance.

Just some food for thought..

I reference to the Aune M2, rather than a scroll wheel you have to click the buttons to navigate around.. So if you have a large library, you could be clicking quite a bit to get to let's say the M's or some letter in the middle.. Other than that, sound is fantastic..

The Cayin N5 is great. Honestly, nothing really bad o I can say about it.. The AK4490 in it and Balanced 2.5mm jack output makes it great as a long term option. Plus the roughly $310 on Amazon price makes it pretty difficult to pass up.

Getting back to the Fiio X5ii, I will state one last thing about it.. The size should be perfect for pairing it up with the Fiio E12.. I have the Fiio E12A, and they look perfect together.. So the E12 should be no different..

May 25, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #5,331 of 7,088
Can someone tell me on fw2.0 what multifunctional outputs, spdif out ,replay gain low pass filter and line out mode are

And they need to fix the lag issue when you have a lot of songs

May 25, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #5,332 of 7,088
Can someone tell me on fw2.0 what multifunctional outputs, spdif out ,replay gain low pass filter and line out mode are

Multifunction output... The jack for Line-Out and Coaxial Out (S/PDIF) are shared so the option is in the menu to decide if you want to send a digital signal out to an external DAC/amp and bypass all the sound processing hardware in the X5ii with coaxial. The Line-Out mode is to use the DAC built in to the X5ii but send the line level analogue signal (bypassing the X5ii amp) to an external amp. Don't plug IEMs/headphones in to this jack.

Replay Gain is a feature where the X5ii looks at the song, or album, and levels out the volume output so you don't get sudden jumps in loudness or quietness for a particular song.

Low pass filter is where the DACs digital filter is changed depending on the users preference. Good luck hearing any difference between the options.

May 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5,334 of 7,088
Personally I found that the X5ii sound to be noticeably better than the X3ii. The X3ii sounded terrific but the X5ii has more detail in the mids and high frequencies which I preferred. Sold my X3ii and upgraded to the X5ii.

On headphone out, I totally agree here. 

The most of differences to me were on treble though. I focus listening on treble a lot of times, and X5II has much better, clearer and cleaner extension. 

On line out, it is so and so, differences exist, but it really depends on the amp used on how big are the differences between X5II and X3II. 

May 25, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #5,335 of 7,088
"Replay Gain is a feature where the X5ii looks at the song, or album, and levels out the volume output so you don't get sudden jumps in loudness or quietness for a particular song"

It should also be pointed out that this doesn't work unless Replay Gain is applied in a program like Foobar.
The X5ii can't apply it but only read it.

May 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #5,336 of 7,088
  "Replay Gain is a feature where the X5ii looks at the song, or album, and levels out the volume output so you don't get sudden jumps in loudness or quietness for a particular song"

It should also be pointed out that this doesn't work unless Replay Gain is applied in a program like Foobar.
The X5ii can't apply it but only read it.

XD that sounds so funny. 

Most CD ripping programs and music bought online comes with album replay gain applied as far as I remember, and most music has it, and X5II applies it if you don't erase replay gain information. 

I needed to clean replaygain from all of my music files, it takes more than expected to set up foobar2k to ignore RG. 

May 25, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #5,337 of 7,088
  XD that sounds so funny. 

Most CD ripping programs and music bought online comes with album replay gain applied as far as I remember, and most music has it, and X5II applies it if you don't erase replay gain information. 

I needed to clean replaygain from all of my music files, it takes more than expected to set up foobar2k to ignore RG. 

If you're ripping your own - depending on how what software and how you set up that software - it doesn't always.  And personally I've found album replay gain to be pointless - especially if all you're doing is putting your whole library on shuffle. So I did exactly what Koukopl probably did - used Foobar 2000 and redid my entire library with replay gain applied by track.

Half of my problem was that dbpoweramp doesn't tag replay gain by default - you have to set it up, and for EAC you have to actually use a front-end program - so neither are set up "by default" to record replay gain info. I know how to set it up now, but that isn't a lot of good when I already have 400 albums ripped without it.

May 25, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #5,338 of 7,088

XD that sounds so funny. 

If you're ripping your own - depending on how what software and how you set up that software - it doesn't always.  And personally I've found album replay gain to be pointless - especially if all you're doing is putting your whole library on shuffle. So I did exactly what Koukopl probably did - used Foobar 2000 and redid my entire library with replay gain applied by track.

Half of my problem was that dbpoweramp doesn't tag replay gain by default - you have to set it up, and for EAC you have to actually use a front-end program - so neither are set up "by default" to record replay gain info. I know how to set it up now, but that isn't a lot of good when I already have 400 albums ripped without it.

Yup.

It's also useless when adding brick walled songs with other music.

May 25, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #5,339 of 7,088

Yup.

It's also useless when adding brick walled songs with other music.

LOL. 

Me listening to music, I have all RG data erased. 

I have the exact 2 songs that are the loudest song and the quietest song, both wall of sound metal type next to each other. 

I play the one that is quite, pump up the volume, to very unsafe levels. 

Next, the loudest song in my entire playlist starts, with a drum utter disastrous hit to ears (Theory of a Deadman - bad girlfriend). For one reason or another, the version I have of that song is so extremely loud. 

Then I remember why RG would had been a good idea. Every single time this happens I have a small shock. Even if I was in public at that time, I tend to jump out of scare, or take my headphones off very fast, or just freeze for a moment, kinda like Internet Explorer. 

May 27, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #5,340 of 7,088
D2P / DoP: D2P stands for DSD to PCM, i.e. converting DSD to PCM before exporting through the S/PDIF digital output, which is the old option available. DoP stands for DSD over PCM. This basically means that the output stream is nominally a PCM stream of e.g. 24bit/176.4kHz, but that the actual data being sent is in DSD format. Sort of like modems sending computer data over a telephone line (if anybody still remembers that), the S/PDIF connection designed for PCM (like the telephone line) is being repurposed to carry a different signal (DSD). If a non-DoP aware device picks up the DoP stream it would output digital rubbish much like what picking up the phone to a fax / modem transmission sounds like, and for much the same reasons. A DoP aware device picking up the DoP stream (that's almost all DSD-capable DACs out there) would receive, decode and play back DSD music data exactly as if the transmission were in DSD format. DoP output should be considered equivalent to native DSD digital output and is indeed the predominant method of natively transmitting DSD data between devices.

If they haven't already done so, I hope FiiO puts up this information somewhere prominently. Otherwise they're letting hard coding effort go to waste...
rolleyes.gif

As being complete NEW to this Hi Res Audio World - Please let me know ;

IF X5 2nd Gen docked over K5 and playing DSD files - Which stream coming out K5's Headphone Jack D2P or DoP

Or Native DSD Output ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back