FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,261 of 7,088
You need custom themes!
biggrin.gif

Are there custom themes using the latest fw? I might try out one of those if there are.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,262 of 7,088
I'm considering this DAP with excitement. My only consideration is its ability to play full albums according to the tracklist. I only listen to full albums and the absence of a hierarchal menu worries me. Will I be able to for example, just go to Velvet Underground, then VU & Nico and hear Sunday Morning immediately, followed by Waiting For The Man, or will it immediately go into shuffle mode or something? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,263 of 7,088
  I'm considering this DAP with excitement. My only consideration is its ability to play full albums according to the tracklist. I only listen to full albums and the absence of a hierarchal menu worries me. Will I be able to for example, just go to Velvet Underground, then VU & Nico and hear Sunday Morning immediately, followed by Waiting For The Man, or will it immediately go into shuffle mode or something? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I listen to albums only too and it works great. Typically I find an album using the file browser just like finding a folder on a computer and it plays the album in order from start to finish. You can also scan your music library on the microsd card and it will organize things that way so you can browse by artist, genre etc. but I find folder browsing the best.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,264 of 7,088

I listen to albums only too and it works great. Typically I find an album using the file browser just like finding a folder on a computer and it plays the album in order from start to finish. You can also scan your music library on the microsd card and it will organize things that way so you can browse by artist, genre etc. but I find folder browsing the best.

This is the only way I use the X5 II as well, my player is only currently loaded with 260+ albums (FLAC...some 24bit) and I simply select an album and play it until it's done. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #4,265 of 7,088

This is the only way I use the X5 II as well, my player is only currently loaded with 260+ albums (FLAC...some 24bit) and I simply select an album and play it until it's done. 

For guys who like to listen to albums I don't see any reason to use it any other way. I have about 220 albums in FLAC on mine but mostly 16 bit from my ripped CDs.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,266 of 7,088
I mainly listen to whole albums too.

I have my folders organised by artist, so often just start at the first album for a particular artist and let the X5ii play through all the albums one after the other.

I normally have the albums in chronological order.

Play through folders is one of the best things about the system and should be standard on most players.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #4,267 of 7,088
  I mainly listen to whole albums too.

I have my folders organised by artist, so often just start at the first album for a particular artist and let the X5ii play through all the albums one after the other.

I normally have the albums in chronological order.

Play through folders is one of the best things about the system and should be standard on most players.

I agree. Play through folders is a good feature. Typically I just listen to a couple albums then take a break and then a couple more after lunch...when I'm listening at work.

My albums are listed alphabetically but that's ok...I generally know what year they were released anyway.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #4,268 of 7,088
Nov 27, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,270 of 7,088
  Hi to all,
at the moment my setup is:
Fiio X5 II
Shure SE535 with Westone Star tips, grey Knowles dampers and Fiio upgrade cable.

Now I'm waiting for a solid silver upgrade cable for SE535 from Lavricables.

I'm interested on Fiio E12A amps, but I'm not sure if I could get some benefit from it...
Any suggestion?

Thank you.

Up!
Thnx

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #4,271 of 7,088

Thanks, that's a load off.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #4,272 of 7,088
@giraz I'm not sure if it is worth getting an E12A for SE535s as I think the X5II is already pretty good with most IEMs. There might be a small improvement, but you'd only notice it at home where it is quiet. Definitely not out and about where there is noise IMO. 

Quote:
  Anyway, now to my question. Has anyone got any suggestions regarding a high quality USB A to Micro B cable I could use to replace the stock cable? My budget is up to £100.

I've got a better suggestion: A Schiit Wyrd. That is more likely to bring a significant difference. That being said, I am using an ALO Audio Green Line USB cable which will do a better job than the cheapies that come with electronics which can sometimes be unreliable even for transferring data. I just hooked up the X5II as a DAC with both the Wyrd and the ALO cable and the results are very good sonically. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #4,274 of 7,088
Not sure what's happening here but whilst playing a track if I go back to look at other albums they all start on the track currently playing eg track 2 playing will bring up track 2 on every album i browse. Also all my albums are now in a weird order.
Pearl Jam at the gorge is now not in didc order and spread all about the folder.
Is this a setting or should I format?
Would this be a bad idea?
Thanks

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #4,275 of 7,088
Also have just found out that if playing track 3 any folder's I look at all the albums start at the 3rd one down.
This goes for all tracks and albums.
Eg track 6 will start at disc 6, track 5 disc 5 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back