FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 19, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #4,231 of 7,088
Heads up. I've updated my custom theme pack for the X5ii to the official FW1.2.

You can find it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/771221/fiio-x5-ii-custom-themes-thread#post_11680988

Enjoy! :D

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4,232 of 7,088
I appreciate your input. Interesting that you say it my be better off without the E12A. If I get the X5 II I'll be certain t do some testing on that. Also, are you saying that with the headphones and earbuds I have, I wouldn't hear much improvement over the iPod Classic? Probably not looking to refresh those at this point in time.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #4,233 of 7,088
  I appreciate your input. Interesting that you say it my be better off without the E12A. If I get the X5 II I'll be certain t do some testing on that. Also, are you saying that with the headphones and earbuds I have, I wouldn't hear much improvement over the iPod Classic? Probably not looking to refresh those at this point in time.

The headphones are fine, as long as you like their signature:)

The only problem is that there might be other headphones that you might like better. 

I liked X5II alone better because it has more treble quantity and energy than E12A, but E12A has a smoother, more detailed mids sound.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,234 of 7,088

Had very similar setup Ipod Classic>Fiio Line Out Adapter>Fiio E12>Asg 2.5

1. More detail/clarity with X5.2
  2. No more converting to ALAC to sync
  3. No more choking on files (Exception was 7.1 FLAC, haven't tried with latest FW to see if down mixing resolved)

Thanks for the input. That helps. What brand/model of the 128GB cards do you recommend?

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #4,235 of 7,088
  The headphones are fine, as long as you like their signature:)

The only problem is that there might be other headphones that you might like better. 

I liked X5II alone better because it has more treble quantity and energy than E12A, but E12A has a smoother, more detailed mids sound.

Headphones might have to wait another year. Any recommendations?

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,236 of 7,088
  Thanks for the input. That helps. What brand/model of the 128GB cards do you recommend?

I picked up G.Skill Class 10 for cheap on NewEgg when they had a stacked promo and have not had any issues - that's about as much of a "recommendation" as I can give
confused.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #4,237 of 7,088

I think he was trying to point out that E12A is specifically designed for highly efficient IEMs.  So it's tailored for low noise not high power.  So if you want to drive both IEMs and difficult to drive full sized HP's then E12 or E12 DIY would be better options and you can select gain as needed.

I'm using E12 (Not E12A) with ASG 2.5's with no noise issues whatsoever and the E12 will handily drive my HE-500's (Not that I'm taking those tanks on-the-go).

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #4,238 of 7,088
For clarity, the X5ii and the e12A (IEM version) have about the same driving power and can power the same headphones just as well. If wanting to drive difficult headphones the e12 (regular version) is 4x more powerful.

E12 make a noise with IEMs and has a worse OPAMP. E12a has a MUSES02 and gives a more clear sound for IEM. But I have E12DIY and use it with IEM and HD650.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #4,239 of 7,088
Hi Headfiers, I currently own a DX90 rockboxed off course!!! and i listen to a lot of hip hop and im looking for something to really power V moda m100s in a great way but also maybe with some bluetooth capabilities as Ive just ordered the NEW V MODA Crossfade wireless!!! Oh how i cant wait!! so now im thinking of Fiio X5 2nd Gen, 

Has anyone compared both? Which has a cleaner UI, better sound stage and bass response?

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,242 of 7,088
just realized the latest firmware fixed the issue over OTG where it would stop playback after a song ended. whew, that was ANNOYING. thank you fiio, you did a good job with this update for sure. now just please update the battery indicator, make it more responsive and COUGH accurate COUGH. it shows like half battery life then all of a sudden, low battery, then 10m later its dead.there should be a more linear gradual percent loss, although i must say the battery life is still really good in HI gain mode. OXOXOXO luv ya fiio

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #4,243 of 7,088
Hi All

Because my X5ii, E12A combination sounds so good in DAC mode, I'm selling my iFi Micro iDSD, iUSB power supply and iCAN headphone amplifier.

I'd say the X5ii sounds about 90% as good as the 1K iFi setup. The difference being the size of the three boxes and the fact that two of the required to be plugged into the mains. As I was using this setup next to my laptop on the couch, it was quite inconvenient.

Anyway, now to my question. Has anyone got any suggestions regarding a high quality USB A to Micro B cable I could use to replace the stock cable? My budget is up to £100.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Darren

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #4,244 of 7,088
Hi to all,
at the moment my setup is:
Fiio X5 II
Shure SE535 with Westone Star tips, grey Knowles dampers and Fiio upgrade cable.

Now I'm waiting for a solid silver upgrade cable for SE535 from Lavricables.

I'm interested on Fiio E12A amps, but I'm not sure if I could get some benefit from it...
Any suggestion?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back