FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,216 of 7,088
I know this is so small and petty compared to all of the other great things about the X5ii........but one of the things that jazz me up the most is the ability to delete directly from the player......that is one thing that always irked me so much with my iPod Classics.......I wanted to filter through the albums before loading or create playlists.....but those 3 songs from a particular album that I always skip.......I never remember to do it when I have the iPod connected to the laptop.....now the ability to just hit a couple buttons on the player, and that track is gone forever.......brilliant!

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #4,217 of 7,088
  Any suggestions on headphones that will bring out the best in X5ii?
That are under $500 please.

Though you haven't mentioned what kind of headphones are you looking for I can still suggest you Beyerdynamic T70p. There is something exceptional in them and you will get incredibly airy and clean presentation that is rare in this price category. However it's worth keeping in mind that they are on bright side and their bass is not among the strongest. Another option (beyound your budget but you can try to find them second hand) is Ultrasone Signature Pro. They have slightly elevated bass, clear mids and sparkling and not sibilant highs. Unfortunately they are very uncomfortable on my head, otherwise they might be my endgame portable closed cans. So you should try them before buying.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,218 of 7,088

Though you haven't mentioned what kind of headphones are you looking for I can still suggest you Beyerdynamic T70p. There is something exceptional in them and you will get incredibly airy and clean presentation that is rare in this price category. However it's worth keeping in mind that they are on bright side and their bass is not among the strongest. Another option (beyound your budget but you can try to find them second hand) is Ultrasone Signature Pro. They have slightly elevated bass, clear mids and sparkling and not sibilant highs. Unfortunately they are very uncomfortable on my head, otherwise they might be my endgame portable closed cans. So you should try them before buying.

I think that ultrasone sig dj is better than sig pro, as sig dj has that very expansive soundstage. Amazing way of delivering music, but both sigdj and sigpro have too little treble, where I am much more into the treble of Ie800 for example, which has more ennergy

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #4,219 of 7,088
SEARCH FUNCTION!! The FW 1.21 beta is available here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776861/official-x5-2nd-gen-stable-firmware-thread-fw1-2-improved-scroll-wheel-dsd-playback-stability/30#post_12088399

FiiO has added an actual search function to the X5ii in this beta firmware. It's only one level (one letter/number search) as far as I can tell so far.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #4,221 of 7,088
^^ can someone elaborate on the experience of this search feature?

Thanks

It's quite basic. When in Catergory or Browser mode you hold the upper left button and the search keyboard pops up. From there you can only choose one letter or number (use the forward/back keys to switch between alphabet and numbers). As soon as you make a selection it lists whatever starts with what single item was selected.

Currently it does not allow more than one search selection but it looks like a step in the right direction. My suggestion would be to allow more entries and then use the center button to begin the search.

When the search results are displayed the top bar displays 'search result'. From there you can back out to the menu you began searching in. Hope this helps.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #4,222 of 7,088
It's quite basic. When in Catergory or Browser mode you hold the upper left button and the search keyboard pops up. From there you can only choose one letter or number (use the forward/back keys to switch between alphabet and numbers). As soon as you make a selection it lists whatever starts with what single item was selected.

Currently it does not allow more than one search selection but it looks like a step in the right direction. My suggestion would be to allow more entries and then use the center button to begin the search.

When the search results are displayed the top bar displays 'search result'. From there you can back out to the menu you began searching in. Hope this helps.

Sweet for now!

I am testing it right now. 

The next step now is to make the possibility of creating more complex search strings, or allow the search to be done in lower levels (like going inside a folder to fiind songs)

But this is a huge step forward for Fiio!

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #4,223 of 7,088
Agreed George. I only hope it's possible for them to implement it.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4,225 of 7,088
Looking for some advice on replacing an iPod Classic. Music set as ALAC files. 

Headphones - ATH-M50
Earphones: RHA 750
Amp: Fiio 12A

Would the Fiio X5 2nd Gen provide noticiable improvement based on my set-up? Any other players I should look at? I understand that the Fiio X7 is about the come out, but that might be beyond my budget (haven't seen the price yet).

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #4,226 of 7,088

Headphones - ATH-M50

Would the Fiio X5 2nd Gen provide noticiable improvement based on my set-up? Any other players I should look at? I understand that the Fiio X7 is about the come out, but that might be beyond my budget (haven't seen the price yet).

Thanks!

X7 costs around 700$ so it is your call if it is in your budget or not, buy you would have to sell E12A anyways because the IEM module uses the same op-amps as E12A, so you might not be at that much loss. 

X5II is a very good replacement for ipod, sounds much better in my book, but this is without e12a. If you would use X5II + e12a with it the differences will be smaller (audibly) than if you were to buy new headphones/IEMs, but it would still be worth the effort, as it does sound better. You might even like X5II alone better (as it happened to me). 

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,227 of 7,088

Headphones - ATH-M50

Thanks!

Had very similar setup Ipod Classic>Fiio Line Out Adapter>Fiio E12>Asg 2.5

1. More detail/clarity with X5.2
  2. No more converting to ALAC to sync
  3. No more choking on files (Exception was 7.1 FLAC, haven't tried with latest FW to see if down mixing resolved)

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #4,228 of 7,088
Hi

I used to have an iPod Classic with a FiiO E12A amp. I changed it to the X3ii and then the X5ii. I use the X5ii/E12A with Shure SRH1540 headphones at home and have just got some Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on-ears for trips away and the beach.

You won't regret swapping the Classic for the X5ii and with the E12A Amp, you will be able to drive most full sized headphones.

Just a quick tip. I had trouble installing the FiiO drivers required to use the X5ii as a DAC. The solution for me was to disconnect from the internet and turn off my anti-virus software (BitDefender Internet Security 2015).

I can now use the X5ii to play all the FLAC files I have on my laptop using Foobar2000 (Freeware) with practically no space restrictions. Previously I was using an iFi Audio Micro iDSD Amp/DAC, iFi iUSB Power Supply and an iFi iCAN Headphone Amp on the laptop. That's about 1k worth of gear and the X5ii in DAC mode supplying the E12A doesn't sound too far behind. So much so, the iFi gear is up for sale!

I recently emailed the online retailer I bought the X5ii, E12A and Shure SRH1540 setup from asking what the way forward would be in the future. He said it was a very good setup and could only suggest the Chord Mojo DAC/Headphone Amp in place of the E12A. The Mojo costs £400!

Regards

Darren

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #4,229 of 7,088
For clarity, the X5ii and the e12A (IEM version) have about the same driving power and can power the same headphones just as well. If wanting to drive difficult headphones the e12 (regular version) is 4x more powerful.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,230 of 7,088

I can highly recommend the Beyer DT770 Pro 80. They are not bright and have excellent bass slam. As you can see from my .sig, they are my travel phones and pair up wonderfully with the X5ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back