FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #3,361 of 7,088
  Ok, tried everything again, single file, single album, different files etc., still doesn't work. However, now it doesn't show the list of files anymore, instead whenever I try to use Browse files or Play by category it shows:

Load fail
Please load again

Anyone else seen that error message? Any ideas what it means? I tried to reinsert cards, restart etc., to no avail.

Thanks!

I think I know what bogde's problem is. 

@x RELIC x , you were using MAC OS ?

If I saw correctly, @bogde is using a variation of MAC and this is upsetting his X5II. 

Someone using MAC or if possible, the same variation could provide a better input on what software is best used with x5II to solve the problems. It seems as if his computer tries to copy the files just right, but also tires to sync something from inside the library, but not his entire library. 

I am a NOOB at MAC OS, but someone with knowledge might provide usefull insight. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #3,363 of 7,088
Just watched/read moedawg140's review of the Questyle QP1R - LINK - and it looks eerily similar to the FiiO UI.

One feature it has that I think would be most welcome across the FiiO DAPs is to use the forward / back buttons as a page up / down when browsing files, which speeds navigation up quite a lot. JamesFiiO, Joe Bloggs, what do you think? Next firmware? Is it possible?

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,364 of 7,088
  I think I know what bogde's problem is. 

@x RELIC x , you were using MAC OS ?

If I saw correctly, @bogde is using a variation of MAC and this is upsetting his X5II. 

Someone using MAC or if possible, the same variation could provide a better input on what software is best used with x5II to solve the problems. It seems as if his computer tries to copy the files just right, but also tires to sync something from inside the library, but not his entire library. 

I am a NOOB at MAC OS, but someone with knowledge might provide usefull insight. 

Mac users can either use Dapper from the App store or just drag and drop files in an Artist folder>Album folder on the X5ii. Dapper can clean the Spotlight index files from the cards in the X5 automatically. If using drag and drop you can use any of the free apps on the App store that clean off these index files. I use CleanMyDrive. I also use Dapper.

In any case, the index files left on the card typically do not interfere with playing the files. The files will appear on the X5 as ._01 Trackname.mp3 or whatever. Files starting with a period will not play. If you scroll past those at the start you will find your actual files further down the list.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #3,365 of 7,088

Mac users can either use Dapper from the App store or just drag and drop files in an Artist folder>Album folder on the X5ii. Dapper can clean the Spotlight index files from the cards in the X5 automatically. If using drag and drop you can use any of the free apps on the App store that clean off these index files. I use CleanMyDrive. I also use Dapper.

In any case, the index files left on the card typically do not interfere with playing the files. The files will appear on the X5 as ._01 Trackname.mp3 or whatever. Files starting with a period will not play. If you scroll past those at the start you will find your actual files further down the list.

I recall there being cases where MAC users upset the chipsets of X5 and X5II, I do not have the knowledge to speak about this particular subject, as I never touched a MAC. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,366 of 7,088
I recall there being cases where MAC users upset the chipsets of X5 and X5II, I do not have the knowledge to speak about this particular subject, as I never touched a MAC. 

What?

The only thing the MAC ever did as far as I've read, and my personal usage, is leave the standard hidden files on the FiiO DAPs. These files were visible and annoying but certainly nothing anywhere near upsetting chipsets (not even sure what you mean by this or how it's possible).

The hidden files no longer show in the interface as this was fixed a while ago on the original X5 and I haven't seen them on the X5ii. The only other issue I've seen is that OSX may randomly eject the card on some MAC computers. This has happened to me a couple of times but nothing lasting has occurred because of it.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3,367 of 7,088
Thanks everyone! My unit got back to the seller and they've confirmed it doesn't work with their cards either. In the mean time I also got a reply from Fiio support stating something like "It seems that the database file of the X5 is corrupted"; they offered to get in touch on Skype to help me fix it, but I don't have the device anymore.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3,368 of 7,088
Thanks everyone! My unit got back to the seller and they've confirmed it doesn't work with their cards either. In the mean time I also got a reply from Fiio support stating something like "It seems that the database file of the X5 is corrupted"; they offered to get in touch on Skype to help me fix it, but I don't have the device anymore.
Doing a media library update with all SD cards ejected to clear the database might have worked.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #3,369 of 7,088
What?

The only thing the MAC ever did as far as I've read, and my personal usage, is leave the standard hidden files on the FiiO DAPs. These files were visible and annoying but certainly nothing anywhere near upsetting chipsets (not even sure what you mean by this or how it's possible).

The hidden files no longer show in the interface as this was fixed a while ago on the original X5 and I haven't seen them on the X5ii. The only other issue I've seen is that OSX may randomly eject the card on some MAC computers. This has happened to me a couple of times but nothing lasting has occurred because of it.

I remember back when X5 was in the first firmwares that some people who had MACs had this problem where the extra files written by a software used for sync would corrupt the database. I have no ideea if it was MAC or that particular software related. 

Anyways, this is not important now, let's hope that no one will ever run into problems again. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3,370 of 7,088
Doing a media library update with all SD cards ejected to clear the database might have worked.

I did, and it didn't solve the problem. I even made a video, showing the problem and the things I've tried, including doing a library update with no cards; if you want to see it please PM me and I'll give you the link.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,371 of 7,088
can @Dobrescu George stop capitalizing "mac", it's not abbreviation of anything, its short for "macintosh". the posix and linux operating systems treat any files starting with a "." as a hidden file. i run both linux and posix systems and have had zero problems writing to micro SD cards with either operating systems default file explorers (nautilus and finder, respectively). also, you can't "upset" a chipset, that doesnt make sense. it may have bugged something out in earlier versions, but i can confirm that i am not experiencing any problems. this may not be the end-all-be-all solution for everyone, but the fact that i am not having any problems on either operating system proves that it IS possible to have a working FiiO DAP, AND/OR laptop/computer with perfect synergy between the devices.

IMHO, this sounds like a confirmed DAP issue, most likely his database is corrupt, or theres some other issue isolated to the DAP since even @bogde has said that when he returned it, even THEY couldnt get it to work properly with their cards. i believe this removes the OS's from the equation completely. i wish everyone luck in getting their DAPs working properly. i just wanted to throw my two cents into the convo to maybe help some people who are experiencing issues or are on the fence about buying one after reading this thread.

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,372 of 7,088
  can @Dobrescu George stop capitalizing "mac", it's not abbreviation of anything, its short for "macintosh". the posix and linux operating systems treat any files starting with a "." as a hidden file. i run both linux and posix systems and have had zero problems writing to micro SD cards with either operating systems default file explorers (nautilus and finder, respectively). also, you can't "upset" a chipset, that doesnt make sense. it may have bugged something out in earlier versions, but i can confirm that i am not experiencing any problems. this may not be the end-all-be-all solution for everyone, but the fact that i am not having any problems on either operating system proves that it IS possible to have a working FiiO DAP, AND/OR laptop/computer with perfect synergy between the devices.

LOL - just read this.  Sorry - not being a pedant or anything but this just struck me as funny .......

How about he stops captitalising "mac" and you start capitalising first letters in sentences, and the letter "i" when used as a personal pronoun?

biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,373 of 7,088
rofl @Brooko yea yea. i get it haha. i do sound hypocritical. if you'll allow me to put my tail between my legs... haha. i just hate when people capitalize mac as MAC, as if it stands for something. as for me never using capitalization? im too lazy to hold shift for a split second, whereas he is going out of his way to caps lock the word "mac". would you refer to your dodge mustang as " i just washed the MUSTANG today. my MUSTANG broke down. im going to take the MUSTANG out for a ride... 

in the end, im a jerk for calling him out on it, but maybe he'll stop writing it that way. or maybe not. as for me? i'll never use capitalization on this forum and you cant make me :wink: 

anyway, this is getting OT, love you @Dobrescu George please dont hate me :wink:

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,374 of 7,088
  rofl @Brooko yea yea. i get it haha. i do sound hypocritical. if you'll allow me to put my tail between my legs... haha. i just hate when people capitalize mac as MAC, as if it stands for something. as for me never using capitalization? im too lazy to hold shift for a split second, whereas he is going out of his way to caps lock the word "mac". would you refer to your dodge mustang as " i just washed the MUSTANG today. my MUSTANG broke down. im going to take the MUSTANG out for a ride... 

in the end, im a jerk for calling him out on it, but maybe he'll stop writing it that way. or maybe not. as for me? i'll never use capitalization on this forum and you cant make me :wink: 

anyway, this is getting OT, love you @Dobrescu George please dont hate me :wink:

Funny man ...best post today

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,375 of 7,088
It's cool - it just tickled my weird sense of humour 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back