FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #3,391 of 7,088

I have to +1 that, in a general way.  My beef is posts that have "dot dot dot" between sentences.  Makes it hard to listen with a computer voice. 
Thanks George.  You used to do the '...' thing a while ago, but your posts are much easier to enjoy.
Just sayin.

Sorry, I was not aware of the problems I might create. Seems that I should take a habbit of writting in eng with correct ortography. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #3,392 of 7,088

I have to +1 that, in a general way.  My beef is posts that have "dot dot dot" between sentences.  Makes it hard to listen with a computer voice. 
Thanks George.  You used to do the '...' thing a while ago, but your posts are much easier to enjoy.
Just sayin.

Sorry, I was not aware of the problems I might create. Seems that I should take a habbit of writting in eng with correct ortography. 

Please don't be offended, George.  My conditions are a bit different and in general, my speech synth depends on punctuation for smooth legible reading.  My problem.  Not anyone elses.  Brooko just gave me an opening.

Aug 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #3,393 of 7,088

Please don't be offended, George.  My conditions are a bit different and in general, my speech synth depends on punctuation for smooth legible reading.  My problem.  Not anyone elses.  Brooko just gave me an opening.

I totally understand your problem. It could break your reading if someone was to use a line full of dots for example, and I should avoid doing so, because it is not fun doing this. 

I do not take offense, and I totally understand this, I hope that I had not made entire threads too hard to read for you in the past, I recall myself using a lot of dots in my writting. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,396 of 7,088
  Hello guys I'm hoping someone can help me on this please:

Updating the firmware on the X5 v2, I followed all the instructions, but it just won't update! I put the X5II.fw file into rotot directory, reset it, and pressed the upper left button and power buttons, but every time I try it and no matter what order / length of holding the buttons, nothing happens; only the normal result of holding the power button (screen off or power off). I've even formatted the SD card with the X5 and tried it again with the .fw file but it doesn't seem to be updating. Thanks in advance

Did you use the microsd1 card ? (the card on the left if you face the screen)

Also, did you make sure that fw is only on that card? It might not know what to flash if there was a fw on both cards. 

Also, another ideea, had you tried another microsd card? Most people do just fine, but Fiio said that if you run into problems, you should update the FW version from a microsd small, and have only the fw file on it. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,398 of 7,088
I have some sound impressions on the last page, and I'm sure there's many reviews on this thread.

Did you use the microsd1 card ? (the card on the left if you face the screen)

Also, did you make sure that fw is only on that card? It might not know what to flash if there was a fw on both cards. 

Also, another ideea, had you tried another microsd card? Most people do just fine, but Fiio said that if you run into problems, you should update the FW version from a microsd small, and have only the fw file on it. 

Yes I have done all of the above, meaning I had followed the firmware update instructions to the letter, every single detail, missing nothing; and with only the fw file; and with reformattting the card on the DAP, and it still doesn't update. And I only have the one micro SD card.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #3,399 of 7,088
Hi dude,
I was in a same situation where Fiio asked me to send them my unit.
Also, i didnt want to wait a few weeks without my X5ii.
If there is an official retail/distributer in your area, you can ask Fiio to simple go there and ahow them the problem. And push for a replacement.
It worked for me. Joe(a memeber here) was very helpful.

Thanks for that. I have asked Fiio for a replacement but they are as yet insisting that I send the units back to them. I have written back expressing my disappointment. There does seem to be an agent here in India that deals with Fiio products, had I known this I would have bought the units from them. I did do a google search before settling on a purchase in the U.S., and all that would come up for sale in India was the x3ii at that time. Being in a hurry to get my hands on the x5ii I pulled the trigger through U.S Amazon about a week after the x5ii's release to market. Fiio is saying that since it was bought in the U.S they cant ask their agents in India to deal with it.
The scroll wheels on both units are obviously broken, (sent them videos) Why can't Fiio have some trust in their customers and simply ship out new replacements? I have promised to send the defective units out to them as soon as the replacements arrive.
Dear joeBloggs, if you are reading this please help.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3,400 of 7,088
Hello guys I'm hoping someone can help me on this please:

Updating the firmware on the X5 v2, I followed all the instructions, but it just won't update! I put the X5II.fw file into rotot directory, reset it, and pressed the upper left button and power buttons, but every time I try it and no matter what order / length of holding the buttons, nothing happens; only the normal result of holding the power button (screen off or power off). I've even formatted the SD card with the X5 and tried it again with the .fw file but it doesn't seem to be updating. Thanks in advance

You don't restart first. It seems like you are trying to update from a powered on state. You need to load the firmware, power down, then hold the upper left face button and the power button from a powered off state. Hold them until you see the progress bar begin and then let go and don't touch anything until the update is complete.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #3,402 of 7,088
Hello Relic, thanks for that relic of info. - you saved me. Yup, it seemed nothing asked me to do that from a powered down state. It's done now!

No worries, glad you got it loaded! :beerchug:

I agree that they could be more clear about doing the FW update from a powered off state. :wink_face:

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #3,403 of 7,088
I agree that they could be more clear about doing the FW update from a powered off state.
wink_face.gif

How more clear can it be worded?

1. Extract and copy X5II.fw to the root directory of an µSD card on THE LEFT µSD SLOT (slot 1) of the X5 formatted in FAT32.
2. Power off the X5 and make sure that the X5 is adequately charged before attempting to update.
3. Hold the upper left button of the X keygroup while pressing the power button to begin the update process. (you may release the buttons when the update dialog shows)

But I'm glad it worked now, DecentLevi.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back