FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #3,331 of 7,088
Hi everybody !

I'm going to buy the Fiio X5 II and I'm wondering if the Sennheiser momentum In-Ear (Android) might be a choice to go along with or is it a "tragedy" to use In-ear headphones amongst on-ear headphones with that kind of DAP ? Does the remote of the Momentum would work fine with the DAP or rather are they compatible ?

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Cheers

If you like the sound of the headphone there is no tragedy. Rest assured the X5ii will provide a very clean, detailed signal for the momentum to reproduce as best they can. Be aware though that the FiiO DAPs support the CTIA (Apple) for in line remotes and the OMTP standard is not supported so it would be best to know which one you have.

You can read more about it on FiiO's web site here where they list some manufacturers that make OMTP standard in-line remotes. The article is for the X1 but applies to the all FiiO DAPs:

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40053&extra=page%3D1

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #3,333 of 7,088

Ok I've looked into the 'Play By Category' being slow moving between screens a bit further.

I put just one micro SD card in at a time each with just over 6000 files. I tried both on their own and the 'Play By Category' section worked great - as quick as browsing by folder.

I then put both micro SD cards in together making a total of 12500 files and the slow issue started again with over 30 seconds delay.

To me it looks as though the firmware is having trouble handling the 12000 files.

Thanks for the previous reply guys. I did the same thing that pcalv did (after emptying the index and re-indexing) and the "Browse by Category" option was much faster moving (although not the best) with just a single card in there. It was the second card that really caused slowdowns. There definitely needs to be some tweaking done to the Index/Database to alleviate this.

I agree that over 10,000 files is a lot, but at the same time, the iPod was able to handle this kind of indexing without any problem. I know Fiio isn't exactly Apple, but I hope they make this a priority. Especially when they use the fact that their firmware will be updated to handle higher capacity SD cards as they become available.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,334 of 7,088

Thanks for the previous reply guys. I did the same thing that pcalv did (after emptying the index and re-indexing) and the "Browse by Category" option was much faster moving (although not the best) with just a single card in there. It was the second card that really caused slowdowns. There definitely needs to be some tweaking done to the Index/Database to alleviate this.

I agree that over 10,000 files is a lot, but at the same time, the iPod was able to handle this kind of indexing without any problem. I know Fiio isn't exactly Apple, but I hope they make this a priority. Especially when they use the fact that their firmware will be updated to handle higher capacity SD cards as they become available.

Glad someone is having the same issue I am having!

I agree, with the capacity as it is at 256GB at the moment and hopefully higher capacity in the near future with firmware updates, it should really be able to cope with that amount of files.

On a side note, I know its a often debated subject about carrying a large amounts of files on a portable device. For me I like the convenience of not having to copy music on and off all the time when I want to listen to it. It also gives a greater choice when out and about. Ideally I would like to carry all my music with me on a portable device in flac format. Unfortunately storage space on micro SD cards is way off what I require at the moment.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,335 of 7,088
  Thanks for your quick answer !

And maybe, do you know some good in-ear headphones which are compatible with iOs and Android too ? With a price between 100-150€.

I think that iOS and Android have different remote modules. 

In ear at 150 Eur?... There is a pleathora of options with extremely different sound. You need to read, listen and see what fits you best, there are just too many options for every possible taste. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3,336 of 7,088
Hi everybody

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

I currently own a Fiio X5 2nd gen and Sennheiser HD 25's since almost two years back, I'm really satisifed with the setup.

However curiosity killed the cat and I'm of course wondering: what kind of effect would an additional E12 DAC have when connected to this setup?

What could I expect in general? Genres I listen to range from jazz to rock to hip-hop in flac / high resolution. 

Would love to get some input on what this combination of devices would bring to the table, just a bit of a cleaner sound, being able to add a bit more bass in certain circumstances? Or would the sound signature "totally" change? Or would effect of the addition be so minimal that it's necessarily not even "worth" it? 

Please make me wiser! Cheers.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #3,337 of 7,088
  Hi everybody

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

I currently own a Fiio X5 2nd gen and Sennheiser HD 25's since almost two years back, I'm really satisifed with the setup.

However curiosity killed the cat and I'm of course wondering: what kind of effect would an additional E12 DAC have when connected to this setup?

What could I expect in general? Genres I listen to range from jazz to rock to hip-hop in flac / high resolution. 

Would love to get some input on what this combination of devices would bring to the table, just a bit of a cleaner sound, being able to add a bit more bass in certain circumstances? Or would the sound signature "totally" change? Or would effect of the addition be so minimal that it's necessarily not even "worth" it? 

Please make me wiser! Cheers.

You would not need E12 AMP.

It is an amp, and it is made for hard to drive headphones. With HD25, X5II internal amp is enough potent. 

clarity wise, X5II is better with easy to drive headphones and IEMs, because E12 adds some background noise. It is extremely powerful.  

E12 might play a role with hard to drive headphones, maybe Hd600 Hd650, Hd700, Hd800 etc.

E12A on the other hand changes the signature slightly, without adding noise, and it tames treble. This is not great for me, but might be for you. E12A has a signature which is basically netural and laid back, rolled off top end. 

\

This was my opinion, but it would be better to ask this in E12 or E12A threads. 

Short, you could add the money to buy other headphones or IEMs instead of adding an amp, to an already extraordinary device. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,338 of 7,088
  You would not need E12 AMP.

It is an amp, and it is made for hard to drive headphones. With HD25, X5II internal amp is enough potent. 

clarity wise, X5II is better with easy to drive headphones and IEMs, because E12 adds some background noise. It is extremely powerful.  

E12 might play a role with hard to drive headphones, maybe Hd600 Hd650, Hd700, Hd800 etc.

E12A on the other hand changes the signature slightly, without adding noise, and it tames treble. This is not great for me, but might be for you. E12A has a signature which is basically netural and laid back, rolled off top end. 

\

This was my opinion, but it would be better to ask this in E12 or E12A threads. 

Short, you could add the money to buy other headphones or IEMs instead of adding an amp, to an already extraordinary device. 

Thanks for the response, that's what I figured.

In short I'm really satisfied with the X5II and how it combines with my 25's, it was just a question of curiosity!

Looking forward to many hours of enjoyment with my Fiio.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,339 of 7,088

Thanks for the response, that's what I figured.

In short I'm really satisfied with the X5II and how it combines with my 25's, it was just a question of curiosity!

Looking forward to many hours of enjoyment with my Fiio.

If you want to improove, better headphones is a maybe, but hd25 are very nice. 
gs1000.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,340 of 7,088
What recommendation do X5 Gen 2 owners have for file management system with Mac OS X? I'm just using Finder and creating folders and it just seems little inefficient. 

Also, does anyone else have trouble ejecting drives from Mac? It generally works but sometimes one of them won't properly. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #3,341 of 7,088
What recommendation do X5 Gen 2 owners have for file management system with Mac OS X? I'm just using Finder and creating folders and it just seems little inefficient. 

Also, does anyone else have trouble ejecting drives from Mac? It generally works but sometimes one of them won't properly. 

Dapper

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #3,342 of 7,088
Up until earlier this evening I had only listened with EQ off. I have now been listening with EQ set to vocal. I think I may have found MY setting ! ?
It's toned down that treble, too much in your face, overly busy soundstage. ( Depending on what you're listening to ? ) I feel much more positive at this point, that the X5ii is going to bring much listening pleasure !!

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,343 of 7,088
  Up until earlier this evening I had only listened with EQ off. I have now been listening with EQ set to vocal. I think I may have found MY setting ! ?
It's toned down that treble, too much in your face, overly busy soundstage. ( Depending on what you're listening to ? ) I feel much more positive at this point, that the X5ii is going to bring much listening pleasure !!

You're not limited to those factory settings. All EQ presets are editable – even renamable with a special firmware tool.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,344 of 7,088

+1

Dapper lets me manage my playlist for my iPods in iTunes and use them on my X5.

YMMV
r2

Aug 22, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3,345 of 7,088
Hi All

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but this thread is too long to go through page by page. Is there any improvement using the FiiO E12A with the X5II?

Also, I have the X3II and tried to use it on the beach yesterday and couldn't read the screen at all, something that wasn't a problem with the iPod Classic it replaced. Would the X5II suffer from the same problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back