FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,121 of 7,088
I had to send my X5 back to China for a repair so I bought an X5ii to keep me company while it's gone.

I'm enjoying it's slightly smaller size and much better screen. It's hard to judge the difference in sound quality without having both units to test.

The only problem I've found is that it's not always perfect at handling gapless. I have found so far one album of MP3 and one of AAC, both purchased albums, that don't "close the gap." And I am on FW 1.1. Hoping this will be fixed eventually. It is a small annoyance but a little click in the middle of perfection is very noticeable.

Gapless with AAC is a known issue on the FiiO DAPs and it exists on all firmware versions. It plays flawlessly with lossless formats such as FLAC and ALAC though. Not sure about MP3 as I don't have any.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3,122 of 7,088

I had a near religious experience the other night while listening to the X5 II and the new remastered version (from HDtracks) "Rodger Waters - Amused To Death." I bought that album when it came out in 92/93 and always enjoyed it, but the other night it was late, everyone had gone to bed so I got comfortable and sat back and got lost in the music for a couple hours (played it twice). Being rather new to this headphone/DAP experience I still find it amazing that you can have that quality of sound in a device that fits in your pocket and hear details that I miss when using either of my stereo setups. I'm convinced that removing the room's interaction with the speakers from the equation plays a large part. Either way, I'm enjoying it. 
biggrin.gif

Not AMUSED by this album. I've played it last two nights in bed and was probably just drifting off both times. I suddenly jumped out of bed in alarm, before realising as ie800s ripped out of my ears, that the phone ringing at high volume was Roger Waters recording and not the late night call that is usually bad news about my elderly mother, the only time we get late calls!

Can't believe I've fallen for it twice!

Seriously, some great music on that album. Just not the phone ringing :)

Now I'm going to think of my mom every time I listen to that album and the phone rings! I'm sorry it frightened you, it's funny that you posted this while I was listening to it. I had just read that Jeff Beck is playing the blues riffs throughout the album so I put it on. Love it.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #3,124 of 7,088

I have a review unit of the X5II and E12A in the house. Definitely an improvement over the original. I'll be putting it through it's paces in the next couple of weeks. So far, it passed the "Layla" test. 

About DSD: It's not the file that makes the difference, it is the decoding done by the DA converter that causes the difference in the sound.

Interesting comment about the DSD SQ. I have the same setup and like the X5II a lot better through the E12A than direct. While that is a very subjective opinion, I was really surprised because one of the reasons I experimented with the X5II was its claim of more power (higher voltage output), but I found it lacking if I tried to drive the headset rather than the IEMs.

Originally Posted by x RELIC x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If you still have the ALO Rx I suggest you take the X5ii/Rx stack for a spin. Very good combination with the Angie so I suspect Layla would be equal/better.

I compared, volume-matched to 0.5dBs, the X5II with the E12A, ALO Rx and Sound Potion Monolith and there was definitely an improvement with the Laylas, DITAs and UERMs with the amps vs. the stock X5II. Everything sounded more spacious, which is usually a good indicator of better headphone drive. Not that the X5II was bad, it was good. Sound-quality-wise I'd be happy with it by itself with any IEMs for portable use.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #3,125 of 7,088
Looking for some headphones to pair with this, been reading up on Audeze and Sennheisers. Budget is 400 - 600. Is it worth spending more on the headphone than the player or should I consider something cheaper. Suggestions please. Listen to electronica, heavy rock, rock. Thanks in advance

I have a couple pair of planar can's but the headphones I use most are my B&W P7's. There are a ton of great headphones in that price range, I've heard great things about the Oppo PM-3's, the NAD HP50's are supposed to be very nice, and Audeze has their new EL 8's. I'd bet that the new HiFiMan HE-400i's would sound great with the X5 II. I use my Westone IEM's more often than any of my headphones, but it sounds like you're looking for headphones, not IEM's. Good luck!

Can confirm that the X5ii drives the HE-400i really wonderfully (based on my experiences with the X5ii tour unit and my 400i). Out of the headphones mentioned, I've only listened to the 400i, the PM-3, and the EL-8, and IMO I prefer either the PM-3 and the 400i over the EL-8.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #3,126 of 7,088
  Flash to firmware 1.0 and see if that changes anything. I quit using 1.1 it has a bug I don't like.

I had a mp3 copy of Jeff Wayne's W of the Ws.  I heard tiny gaps between parts.  I now have an ALAC copy which plays smoothly.  I'm wondering if it's the decoding of the mp3 files that causes a gap?  Just a thought.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #3,127 of 7,088

I have a review unit of the X5II and E12A in the house. Definitely an improvement over the original. I'll be putting it through it's paces in the next couple of weeks. So far, it passed the "Layla" test. 

About DSD: It's not the file that makes the difference, it is the decoding done by the DA converter that causes the difference in the sound.

Interesting comment about the DSD SQ. I have the same setup and like the X5II a lot better through the E12A than direct. While that is a very subjective opinion, I was really surprised because one of the reasons I experimented with the X5II was its claim of more power (higher voltage output), but I found it lacking if I tried to drive the headset rather than the IEMs.

Originally Posted by x RELIC x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If you still have the ALO Rx I suggest you take the X5ii/Rx stack for a spin. Very good combination with the Angie so I suspect Layla would be equal/better.

I compared, volume-matched to 0.5dBs, the X5II with the E12A, ALO Rx and Sound Potion Monolith and there was definitely an improvement with the Laylas, DITAs and UERMs with the amps vs. the stock X5II. Everything sounded more spacious, which is usually a good indicator of better headphone drive. Not that the X5II was bad, it was good. Sound-quality-wise I'd be happy with it by itself with any IEMs for portable use.

Looking forward to your review.
Do you have a comment on the amps you tried with it?  I'm, curious about your judgement about the RX.  While not quite the Hugo, I find it quite an uptake from the X5 1st Gen.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,128 of 7,088
Congrats! :)

Keep us posted on your impressions.

Looking for some headphones to pair with this, been reading up on Audeze and Sennheisers. Budget is 400 - 600. Is it worth spending more on the headphone than the player or should I consider something cheaper. Suggestions please. Listen to electronica, heavy rock, rock. Thanks in advance

Well, I all ready had my 3 sets of headphones(in my sig). The X5ii sounds good with all 3, with the Sennheiser 2.0 sounding the best.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,129 of 7,088
Hey all.

I just received my X5 G2 last night.  Read basically this entire thread over the last week or so (I need help).  I have an aging iPod touch (one of the first ones), but that never leaves my vehicle anymore.  I wanted a DAP with good sound quality, I only needed it to do music, and wanted to get away from iTunes.  I considered others, but after reading much of this thread I decided on the X5 2nd Gen.   After putting a bit of music on it and messing around with it for a bit last night I'm happy so far.  The interface and scroll wheel is a little quirky, but it doesn't bother me.  As long as it's reliable I'm more than satisfied.

I may be odd, but I love the fact that I can organize my music however I want in folders and simply copy those folders on the card, and then browse the folders on the X5ii.  May be a bit cumbersome for some, but there is a simplicity about it that I prefer.

The silicone case does have a bit of a smell.  They said they added jasmine scent (I think), and I guess I do smell that, but it had an undertone to the scent that reminded me of Crayola colored markers.  It's really only noticeable if I try to smell it, and isn't offensive to me (though my sense of smell isn't my best sense).  Doesn't bother me, but I still may not use the case.  I prefer the bare player.  That may change, but for now I'll likely use the player without the case. 

Note:  The following paragraph is only written because others have commented on such things.  I'm not trying to be overly critical of the X5ii, though I guess that's exactly what I'm doing with this paragraph (being overly critical, meaning these things aren't a bit deal, and if you got that critical with any device you would find similar flaws in many) .  Having gotten that out of the way, here goes.  My center button is a little tilted.  It is flush with the scroll wheel at the top, and sticks out just a hair at the bottom.  The tilt doesn't bother me (well, maybe a little because I'm a bit anal, but not too bad).  I didn't even notice the tilt yesterday, only noticed it today when I wasn't even using the device, just holding while talking on the phone.  In other words, the button functions fine, and the tilt isn't bad enough to stand out (no pun intended).  The four "x" buttons around the scroll wheel look and function perfectly.  They don't all feel quite the same height to the touch, but it's a minor difference, though I did notice that last night, almost right away in fact.  But I may not have noticed it if others hadn't already commented on some buttons being set in further than others, so I was looking for it.  The scroll wheel is flush all the way around and operates smoothly.  It's not quite a 1-1 click to menu movement, but close.  Like I said before, I'll call it quirky.  Not perfect, but not a real hindrance from being able to operate the device.  Again, I may not have noticed it as much if there hadn't been so much discussion about it in this thread.  I'd say it's the lesser of two evils.  I'd rather have it occasionally not move for a click and have to click it again, than to have it occasionally move two options for one click.  Then you would be passing things and have to come back and hope it didn't overshoot again.  Definitely feel the sensitivity is erred on the correct side. 

As for sound quality, right now I only have crappy earbuds (came with phone years ago), and some Bose headphones that are nice, but have their share of problems for me (I'll be getting new headphones soon, hopefully).  Because of that I cannot really comment on sound quality, other than to say it certainly sounds as good as anything else I've plugged those headphones into.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3,130 of 7,088
El Z, you are in for a treat, as the further advance from phone buds you go, the better it will sound.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,131 of 7,088
Agreed. Better audio needs everything to come up to a certain level in order to take advantage of the whole audio chain. After a certain point it becomes more about preferences and flavour, but with apple earbuds I'd say you're hearing about 50% or less sound quality of what's out there, and what the X5ii is capable of reproducing. Of course this is my subjective estimation, but what the apple earbuds lack is what I value a lot in my music. With the X5ii and apple earbuds it's like driving a formula 1 race car through a car wash.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #3,132 of 7,088
Agreed. Better audio needs everything to come up to a certain level in order to take advantage of the whole audio chain. After a certain point it becomes more about preferences and flavour, but with apple earbuds I'd say you're hearing about 50% or less sound quality of what's out there, and what the X5ii is capable of reproducing. Of course this is my subjective estimation, but what the apple earbuds lack is what I value a lot in my music. With the X5ii and apple earbuds it's like driving a formula 1 race car through a car wash.

Yeah, new headphones are happening soon. I was going to get headphones first, but as much as I enjoy music, I'm also a major gadget guy. The X5ii was putting out a call I couldn't resist.

Funny enough They are actually Samsung earphones. Can't say if they are better or worse than the Apple EarPods. I have some of the Apple variety too, but I leave them in my work truck to use for hands free talking while working (work with my hands, so I can't always hold my phone). Don't have an iPhone anymore but still use that pair because it's what I've had forever.

I have a pair of headphones basically picked out that I "think" I want (very slim opportunities around here to test 'phones in person unfortunately), but that's a discussion for another thread I suppose.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,133 of 7,088
Yeah, new headphones are happening soon. I was going to get headphones first, but as much as I enjoy music, I'm also a major gadget guy. The X5ii was putting out a call I couldn't resist.

Funny enough They are actually Samsung earphones. Can't say if they are better or worse than the Apple EarPods. I have some of the Apple variety too, but I leave them in my work truck to use for hands free talking while working (work with my hands, so I can't always hold my phone). Don't have an iPhone anymore but still use that pair because it's what I've had forever.

I have a pair of headphones basically picked out that I "think" I want (very slim opportunities around here to test 'phones in person unfortunately), but that's a discussion for another thread I suppose.

Apologies, I assumed they were apple earbuds. Anyway, at least you'll be sure your new headphones aren't being held back by the player (of course if they fit within the drive power of the X5ii, which is quite good).

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #3,134 of 7,088
Apologies, I assumed they were apple earbuds. Anyway, at least you'll be sure your new headphones aren't being held back by the player (of course if they fit within the drive power of the X5ii, which is quite good).

Certainly no apologies needed.  Besides, I'm sure that when 90% of people talk about phone earbuds they are talking about the Apple variety. 

Cheers!

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #3,135 of 7,088
I've just received my X5ii I'm waiting for my MicroSD cards to arrive, so thought I would try out the DAC, in the meantime. It says to go to system settings > USB mode & click OK, but I can't see USB mode listed in the menu ?
When I plugged into my pc, it said it had successfully installed the drivers.
It's not being shown as recognised by JRiver or Media Go. I think I'm going to asking for constant help !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back