FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 15, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,151 of 7,088
What do you mean by "I'm playing converted files to DSD / dsf"?  Converted from what?  And have you tried native DSD files?  Before you blame the X5ii - lets make sure the problem isn't your files
wink.gif

Also what did you convert them to / what resolution DSD? 

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #3,152 of 7,088
  What do you mean by "I'm playing converted files to DSD / dsf"?  Converted from what?  And have you tried native DSD files?  Before you blame the X5ii - lets make sure the problem isn't your files
wink.gif

Also what did you convert them to / what resolution DSD? 

I've converted CD rips, to DSD64, using JRiver. These dispay as DSD 2.8 1bit on my Sony F886, plays back perfectly, NEVER had an issue. Sounds wonderful too.
Same files transferred to X5ii...and playback as I mentioned. I do not have any native DSD files.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,153 of 7,088
Well as I and others can attest, the X5ii plays native DSD perfectly - so that leaves us with two options. Your files, or a faulty X5ii. Any chance you can upload one of your files so others can test it on their own units?

I have to ask why you're converting a CD file to DSD though? You realise you can't add information that isn't there in the first place right?

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #3,154 of 7,088
Well as I and others can attest, the X5ii plays native DSD perfectly - so that leaves us with two options. Your files, or a faulty X5ii. Any chance you can upload one of your files so others can test it on their own units?

I have to ask why you're converting a CD file to DSD though? You realise you can't add information that isn't there in the first place right?

(a) not sure if I can upload ? Never tried to upload my music files, or send to anyone.

(b) because I want to. ( Not for the first time, you've pointed that fact out to me....I GET THE MESSAGE. )

As I've said, not a problem with playback of these same files, with my Sony F886.

Initial SQ impressions, not a patch on the Sony. Very HIT or MISS, at present. I hope things improve, but definitely regretting my purchase at present !!

If I had known, I would have spent the extra money on a ZX2.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3,155 of 7,088
If you have a Dropbox account, you could upload the track there and one of us could check.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3,157 of 7,088
Well that's the whole point of trying your files on someone else's player. And just because they play on your Sony doesn't tell us anything. DSD files play on my Fiio as well :wink:

Just trying to help you establish where the fault is - OK? If you don't want the assistance I'll butt out.

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,158 of 7,088
Oh - and Dropbox = free cloud storage. Great for sharing files - like in this case.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3,159 of 7,088
    Before you blame the X5ii - lets make sure the problem isn't your files
wink.gif

For one, I have at no point blamed the X5ii, in any post.....and it seems you've already come to your conclusion ! ( Even though, I've told you, that there's no problem with my files playing through the Sony....you say, "that tells us nothing". )
I guess playing the files through YOUR X5ii, will apparently tell us, EVERYTHING, though ! ?

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,160 of 7,088
I tell you what - you don't want any help, so I'll just leave you to it. Carry on commenting about your dissatisfaction with the X5ii (because it's obviously the culprit right?). Oh and enjoy those transcoded DSD files as well :wink:

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3,161 of 7,088
I tell you what - you don't want any help, so I'll just leave you to it. Carry on commenting about your dissatisfaction with the X5ii (because it's obviously the culprit right?). Oh and enjoy those transcoded DSD files as well
wink.gif

I'm open to any help, and as I've pointed out, I haven't pointed the blame at the X5ii, I've stated FACTS, i.e. the files play fine on my Sony, they have for the last 2 years. Yes, I enjoy the transcoded DSD files....which clearly you have an issue about, Mr. Sarcasm.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3,162 of 7,088

I'm open to any help, and as I've pointed out, I haven't pointed the blame at the X5ii, I've stated FACTS, i.e. the files play fine on my Sony, they have for the last 2 years. Yes, I enjoy the transcoded DSD files....which clearly you have an issue about, Mr. Sarcasm.

His point about uploading the files is to find out if they play on his (or someone else's) X5ii without trouble.  If that's the case, then there may be a defect with your specific X5ii.  If they have problems on others' X5iis as well, then maybe it's the files.  Not that your files are necessarily defective, but maybe there is something about them that the X5ii has trouble with.  

As mentioned, other X5ii players are working just fine with DSD files, so it's not as simple as no DSD files will play properly on the X5ii.  In fact, didn't you yourself say that "some" of your files aren't playing properly?  So, do some of them play just fine?

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #3,163 of 7,088
It's a troubleshooting process man, you have to eliminate factors one by one till you find the culprit. That's why Brooko asked if you could upload your files so we could play them.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,164 of 7,088
  His point about uploading the files is to find out if they play on his (or someone else's) X5ii without trouble.  If that's the case, then there may be a defect with your specific X5ii.  If they have problems on others' X5iis as well, then maybe it's the files.  Not that your files are necessarily defective, but maybe there is something about them that the X5ii has trouble with.  

As mentioned, other X5ii players are working just fine with DSD files, so it's not as simple as no DSD files will play properly on the X5ii.  In fact, didn't you yourself say that "some" of your files aren't playing properly?  So, do some of them play just fine?

Yes, some files are fine. I've transferred 28 albums at present. I've re-ripped, converted one of the albums & just presently playing through.
I've experienced about 4 songs / files, that have the same issue, i.e. a strange interference type sound, I totally understand the suggestion for someone to listen / try the files, and the reasoning behind it. I do not have a device that supports cloud, in relation to sending a file.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #3,165 of 7,088
I've just played through one of the re-ripped, converted albums, and that played fine. So i'll have to re-do the others that have the same problem.
I have to re-iterate that I'm still disappointed with the sound presentation, at this point. The high end seems harsh & at times, to the point of unlistenable, or the need to stop listening.
I don't feel that with the Sony F886. If anything I find it hard to stop listening ! You can literally "feel the sound", each note. The detail is there on the X5, but it's lacking "feeling", almost artificial.
I do hope my opinion changes, but I'm not confident at present ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back