FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,136 of 7,088
Under System settings you should have USB mode - DAC or Storage. You need DAC. I tried on a Mac and no drivers were needed, for Windows you may need to install the drivers from Fiio's website.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #3,137 of 7,088
Under System settings you should have USB mode - DAC or Storage. You need DAC. I tried on a Mac and no drivers were needed, for Windows you may need to install the drivers from Fiio's website.

At this moment in time, I can't even get the menu on, it's on charge presently. I definitely couldn't see USB MODE - DAC - Storage.
I'll do as you suggest and look on their website. Thanks.

The microSD cards have just arrived, so I guess that will be the next problem !!

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #3,138 of 7,088
I've just received my X5ii I'm waiting for my MicroSD cards to arrive, so thought I would try out the DAC, in the meantime. It says to go to system settings > USB mode & click OK, but I can't see USB mode listed in the menu ?
When I plugged into my pc, it said it had successfully installed the drivers.
It's not being shown as recognised by JRiver or Media Go. I think I'm going to asking for constant help !!

You have to keep scrolling down to get to USB mode (there are several pages of options), USB mode is about two thirds of the way down or so. It defaults to storage mode, so it will show up as a removable drive as default. That is why your computer recognized it. There is also a driver you must download from FiiO and install to make the USB DAC mode work.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #3,139 of 7,088
You have to keep scrolling down to get to USB mode (there are several pages of options), USB mode is about two thirds of the way down or so. It defaults to storage mode, so it will show up as a removable drive as default. That is why your computer recognized it. There is also a driver you must download from FiiO and install to make the USB DAC mode work.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Thank you for all your help. I'll try again. Do you have to push the micro cards in as far as they will go ?

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3,140 of 7,088

At this moment in time, I can't even get the menu on, it's on charge presently. I definitely couldn't see USB MODE - DAC - Storage.
I'll do as you suggest and look on their website. Thanks.

The microSD cards have just arrived, so I guess that will be the next problem !!

Maybe the cards should now be your first problem; or priority.  Load 'em up and enjoy and then work on the DAC mode.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,141 of 7,088

Thank you for all your help. I'll try again. Do you have to push the micro cards in as far as they will go ?

Yes. There's a spring mechanism that pushes them out, so push them in until you hear a click sound and they should stay there. To remove, push them gently and they should be released.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,143 of 7,088
I have Windows 10 and haven't had luck installing the USB DAC drivers yet.  I haven't yet tried disabling the Windows driver verification, which the install instructions say is needed in Windows 8.1, so I assume 10 would be as well.  But the error I get doesn't seem to relate to that (still, maybe it's the root of the problem).  The installer packaged with the driver simply says the installation failed and says to retry.  I tried to manually install the driver, but that process fails as well, Windows gives me an error about how the hash marks aren't where they should be and the driver may have been corrupted or tampered with and says I should go to the manufacturer of my device to get drivers (no kidding Windows, thanks for that).  I'll try re-downloading the drivers (in case they are in fact corrupted) and mess with it more tonight.  If I get it working I'll post here in case anyone is curious.

In the mean time, if anyone has had luck with the USB DAC function on Windows 10, I wouldn't turn down any advice that might save me time.

I may just have to disable the driver verification, but I've heard that even if I get the driver installed, Windows 10 will revert to requiring the driver signature after re-boot and the driver will fail to load anyway.  So I may be up a creek with Windows 10 in regards to using the USB DAC function if that's the case.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3,145 of 7,088
I've transferred some music now, but what I didn't think about was a line out cable for my E12. Could you please indicate which cable I need to order please ?

Thanks.

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Stereo-Right-Angle-3-5mm/dp/B005EV38AE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439561289&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=FiiO+X5+lineout+cable

Another option: http://www.amazon.com/L16-Professional-3-5mm-Short-Cable/dp/B00KL7C10O/ref=pd_sim_422_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZNNCDE523EN68QD556A​

Or right angle: http://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-L17/dp/B00R9WAYC6/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WCT6XN7W5PMARDGC1SE

Good luck!

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #3,147 of 7,088
I've a question about "native DSD" playback.

Is there much difference in sound quality between non native DSD playback and native DSD playback ?

Does the native DSD playback justify an upgrade from the old X5 to the new X5 2nd gen for people who listen to alot of DSD files ?

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #3,148 of 7,088
I've a question about "native DSD" playback.

Is there much difference in sound quality between non native DSD playback and native DSD playback ?

Does the native DSD playback justify an upgrade from the old X5 to the new X5 2nd gen for people who listen to alot of DSD files ?

Native DSD.......... No.

Better power supply (for the audio quality) and amplifier implementation........ Yes.

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #3,149 of 7,088
Looking for some headphones to pair with this, been reading up on Audeze and Sennheisers. Budget is 400 - 600. Is it worth spending more on the headphone than the player or should I consider something cheaper. Suggestions please. Listen to electronica, heavy rock, rock. Thanks in advance

If you listen mostly to rock or classic rock,heavy metal,electronica I can highly recommend Audio Technica ATH-M50X as these pair really well with the X5ii and that particular genre of music, I had a pair of Sennheiser Momentums which paired nicely with X5i but they just didn't pair nicely with the X5ii plus they cost twice what the ATH-M50X do.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #3,150 of 7,088
Received my X5ii yesterday. I'm already having a problem with playback, i.e. a bizarre interference sound on some tracks. ( At first I thought, that's a keyboard part I've never been aware of ! )
I'm playing converted files to DSD / dsf. Never ever had an issue with my Sony F886. I feel I'm going to regret this purchase !! ??
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this issue ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back