FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 8, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,031 of 7,088
  See if anyone that has loaded the new firmware 1.1 has the problem of OTG songs will only play one song at a time.
I had to go back to 1.0 firmware to make them play normal.

just updated to FW1.1 last night and using x5ii today. so far nothing unusual.
will try OTG and advise if the same thing happens.

was hoping a battery charge percentage indicator will appear but...oh well..

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #3,032 of 7,088
  See if anyone that has loaded the new firmware 1.1 has the problem of OTG songs will only play one song at a time.

I have not used OTG before, but loaded a FLAC album of 30 tracks to try it. I had the same problem. It would play any track, but would stop at the end of that track. Not sure why, but it's not anything you are doing.

I didn't do much to try to solve it since I really haven't had any need for it. I much rather they gave me a reasonable way to select an Album or Artist out of my over 12,000 track library. I can't crank that wheel enough to get to the middle of the list.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #3,033 of 7,088

I have not used OTG before, but loaded a FLAC album of 30 tracks to try it. I had the same problem. It would play any track, but would stop at the end of that track. Not sure why, but it's not anything you are doing.

I didn't do much to try to solve it since I really haven't had any need for it. I much rather they gave me a reasonable way to select an Album or Artist out of my over 12,000 track library. I can't crank that wheel enough to get to the middle of the list.

The best solution to this that I have read here was a suggestion by Relic I believe which is to archive your library in folders from A-Z then alphabetize your artist in these folders then albums in the artist folders (A-Z> Artist> Albums> Songs) Then you can search everything through the folders option. Make sure the play through folders option is active in settings. This has made a world of difference and gave me a chance to clean my cluttered library. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #3,034 of 7,088

just tried a couple of times. it does the same thing you mentioned.

it will play any tracks in the folder but will stop after each track. tried changing play options like shuffle, continuous play with same results.
i hope there's a fix to that since i plug otg to hdd then line out to speakers so i can listen to archived music.
triportsad.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,035 of 7,088

The best solution to this that I have read here was a suggestion by Relic I believe which is to archive your library in folders from A-Z then alphabetize your artist in these folders then albums in the artist folders (A-Z> Artist> Albums> Songs) Then you can search everything through the folders option. Make sure the play through folders option is active in settings. This has made a world of difference and gave me a chance to clean my cluttered library. 

I remember that comment including the part about the problem existing from the first generation FiiO DAPs. Doesn't give me much hope for any of the software shortcomings getting fixed. That said, I have already started to organize a copy of my music library for the X5 2nd Generation.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3,036 of 7,088
I do have A to Z setup. This is not the problem. It works fine in Firmware 1.0 and works fine in all the other equipment
that I own. The OTG in Fiio's X5ii is faulty and would be nice if they could fix it.It does come in handy for fast swop out
of Card and flash drives

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,037 of 7,088
With Kingston DTHXP30/1TB via OTG not run. Constantly says to remove the external storage.Adding external power recognize it but says "No music". I try with FAT312 and exFat. Same behaviour.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,038 of 7,088
  I do have A to Z setup. This is not the problem. It works fine in Firmware 1.0 and works fine in all the other equipment
that I own. The OTG in Fiio's X5ii is faulty and would be nice if they could fix it.It does come in handy for fast swop out
of Card and flash drives

how did you revert to FW1.0 ? just delete the FW1.1 and update again?

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #3,041 of 7,088
FYI.  I found the solution to my problem with playlist not being able to find a particular FLAC file and thought this might be helpful for others.  Evidently there is a limitation on how many characters are in the directory/folder/filename that the playlist is directed to.  This limit seems to be about 132 characters including spaces.  And this applies only to FLAC files in a playlist, not mp3 or m4a. Not sure about any others.  And again, only applies to finding a song in a playlist.  Not a problem when playing a FLAC file in any other mode.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,042 of 7,088
  FYI.  I found the solution to my problem with playlist not being able to find a particular FLAC file and thought this might be helpful for others.  Evidently there is a limitation on how many characters are in the directory/folder/filename that the playlist is directed to.  This limit seems to be about 132 characters including spaces.  And this applies only to FLAC files in a playlist, not mp3 or m4a. Not sure about any others.  And again, only applies to finding a song in a playlist.  Not a problem when playing a FLAC file in any other mode.

This limitation also applies to Apple Lossless files.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #3,043 of 7,088

Yes same thing happens here with fw1.1

Thankfully I haven't had to use the OTG port as I have enough music on my 2 128gb cards.

But will wait for the next fw that fixes this.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #3,045 of 7,088
  Excuse my ignorance, but what does "native DSD decoding" actually mean ? Is it "pure DSD", without being converted to PCM ?

Yes you are right, to really get the benefits of DSD files, native DSD decoding is technically better compared to PCM but if it sounds any better to your ears that is the biggest question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back