FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #2,896 of 7,088
In a previous post scracy said that he "hated" the akg k550's.

I have just bought a FiiO x5ii (to replace my 10 year old Creative Zen Vision:M (60GB) mp3 player (who else has owned one of those?)).

After reading many many reviews, I bought a pair of AKG K550's.

Now it is obvious that the AKG K550's are not really meant for portable players (long thick cable & chunky plug) but I have been using them with my FiiO x5ii when in the house.

The K550's are really confortable and the sound is certainly an improvement over my much cheaper Sennheiser earbuds that I have been using for the last few years or so.

It is still early days for both my FiiO x5ii and K550's - I have only used them for just a few hours each - so they cannot be said to have 'burned in' yet.

Scracy, what is it that you didn't like about the K550's?

I do not plan on using the K550's when out and about, I am seriously considering the RHA T20's.

The T20's cost almost twice what I paid for the K550's - but are they twice as good - the reviews are very positive.

The thing i liked about the K550 is that are very comfortable what i didnt like was that they lack bass and i mean really lack bass. Im not a bass head by any stretch personally i hate beats for example but whilst after about 60 hours of burn in the bass improved a lot it still didnt have enough bass. The thing about k550 you need the right size head to get a good seal so my head wasnt suitable for them. Whilst im only new to these forums i have had an interest in hifi for the past 30 years and one thing that i feel is often forgotten is that certain headphones pair better with certain equipment and genres. I listen to a lot of classic rock and pop as well as heavy metal so for those genres the ath-m50x and momentums to my ears are far more suitable than the k550.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,897 of 7,088
The T20's cost almost twice what I paid for the K550's - but are they twice as good - the reviews are very positive.

This is the eternal dilemma of Head-fi. Once you reach about the $250-$300 mark, you see steep diminishing returns. Notions of spending 2 times as much, and expect 2 times the performance, go out the window. You begin to pay for increments, and not always across the board. Sometimes you'll pay three times as much for slightly better treble, but worse bass. :)

Whether or not it's worth it depends entirely on you.

Not having tried either of the phones you're talking about, I will say, generally speaking, you will pay more for IEMs to receive half the performance of over-ear cans.

In my opinion, this is reasonable. You are paying for size and portability, and demanding an awful lot of fidelity. I love my IEMs, but they are no Sennheiser HD600s. :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,902 of 7,088
No lag whatsoever browsing categories or folder view. Variety of formats including mostly 16/44 lossless, some 24/48 to 24/192 high res, and some DSD.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #2,903 of 7,088
There is like a half second delay when I click on artist to clicking on artist, album, etc. Or clicking through folders, or changing screen view from "now playing" to main menu, etc.
It's not that bad but slower than the quick Sandisk Sansa and Apple Ipods. Those were near instant I'd say.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #2,904 of 7,088
back to playlist again... is there sort of a cache involved?

I updated a playlist but the deleted songs keep appearing in X5ii even if I can't see the songs in foobar or notepad.

on another note, there is a very, very slight lag. probably more of an expectation rather than a real lag. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #2,905 of 7,088
back to playlist again... is there sort of a cache involved?

I updated a playlist but the deleted songs keep appearing in X5ii even if I can't see the songs in foobar or notepad.

on another note, there is a very, very slight lag. probably more of an expectation rather than a real lag. 

Did you update the media library after you made changes to the playlist?

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,907 of 7,088
Don't know, try it and see. :wink_face:

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,908 of 7,088
Don't know, try it and see.
wink_face.gif

actually i did try that... but playlist seems a bit problematic. i have no other issues with it though and really do like it. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #2,909 of 7,088
Yeah, playlists have been one of those 'add on' features that still needs work IMO. I don't use them simply because I'm more of an album listener, but I understand the frustration with the work involved.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,910 of 7,088
  I'm using and really enjoying the FiiO X5 II yet I'm curious if the way I've always kept the music on my PC and load it on the DAP is unusual.

On my PC, all of the music in the "My Music" folder are complete albums, each album in its own folder, named and tagged with the album art (resized sized to 500X500). For example;  Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop  24.96 (FLAC) or Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti  24.96 (FLAC). 

I'm not having any issues as all, simply curious if anyone else does something similar to this, or if my way of cataloging my music library is a bit odd? 

Thanks.

I guess I am old school like you, because that is exactly the way I copy music from PC to my X5ii.. I just copy the folders and put them on 1st or 2nd sd card. No problems here either.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back