FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,866 of 7,088

Like ASpencer stated earlier, I too really enjoy the X5ii. Although the L&P L5 looks very nice- honestly the single SD card slot and size would deter me from purchasing it. I really enjoy walking around with the X5ii and it works nice inside a pocket so fidelity and portability are balanced perfectly for my needs. I've already invested nearly $900 in the purchase factoring in the X5ii, 2 128 GB SD cards, phones, audio cables, etc. so consider the player's price carefully. Then there's the instant appreciation for better sound, the urge to upgrade the cans, the launch of the X7, and a new hobby that's, well, become sort of an addiction.

Then again, it's generally a good idea not to get on the wife's bad side as I probably pushed the "Father's Day" purchasing limit threshold with my new toy. I share your pain and hope you find something that works well for both of you- good luck.

Why did you have to go and start adding up the price of the portable gear? I'd been thinking that $350 was a reasonable price for DAP and that the Westone W40's (not counting the B&W P7's...for portable use) weren't too expensive considering how much they're used...the E12A sounded like a good deal (love that amp) and then next thing you know your investment is starting to grow. But then, you take a second to realize that many here have spent far more than that on their IEM's/headphones or player alone and it makes me feel better. 
biggrin.gif

I haven't been at this portable audio/headphone hobby for very long as I'd always been a more interested in my full-size audio gear and listening to that system. Yet, I've got to say that it didn't take much time to realize that you could get incredible sound/music for very little money with headphones and a good HP amp or DAP.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,867 of 7,088

My fault. The keyboard and fast fingers got away from me. At least I forgot to mention the E17 [not needed for the X5ii] and all the hi res downloads I had to buy in an effort to fill up nearly 256 GB of storage. Now the fun begins re-ripping 3,000 plus CDs to FLAC - everything played so very ordinary on the iPod Classic in 256 AAC. Now I appreciate the sound on the X5ii and need to tell my employer that I must go on "Head-Fi / Workmans Comp" so I can spend two week's at the desktop re-ripping CDs...bring on the Red Bull-5 Hour Energy Cocktails!

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #2,868 of 7,088
For those who want to order from a UK authorised dealer
advancedmp3players.co.uk
Add item to basket, go to basket/checkout and enter AMAZON15% in the voucher code box and click Redeem
Enjoy the savings
(X5 2nd gen = £245.65)

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #2,869 of 7,088
At least the UK is getting close to the US price on this excellent player. I was under the impression that the 2nd gen was going to "retail" for the same cost as the 1st gen X5. See below:

from the Amazon US site:

FiiO X5 (Gen 1)
Retail Price: $399.00
Current Price: $272.00

FiiO X5ii
Retail Price: $499.00
Current Price: $349.00

Is Amazon inflating the "retail" price of the X5ii (they certainly didn't lower the retail price of the first gen X5), did FiiO change the cost of the X5ii at launch, or what's going on? Just considering the international appeal and am concerned about this on a couple of fronts.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,870 of 7,088
Amazon has lowered the price of the original X5 from $349 to $272 since it has been replaced by a newer model. I paid $349 from my X5 when it was their top player and $349 for the X5 II once it came out. I never paid any attention to the retail price, only the price they were charging at the time. Sorry.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,872 of 7,088

I married the original X5 with the E12, but I quite like the sound of the X5 II minus an amp.  The price minus an amp sounds good too!

I have the E12 and enjoy it when I'm using it with harder to drive can's like the HE-500's, but if I'm using IEM's, I much prefer the E12A blacker background and more spacious sound. I get too much hiss with the E12 and my W40's. 

I agree with you regarding the X5 II sound, thus far I've not even tried it with the E12A, as I think they really did a nice job improving the amp section of the DAP. Making the switch to those BUF634's in the X5 II's amp section was a nice move in my opinion. I have the new stacking kit (love the new silicone slabs) so I'm sure I'll try the X5 II with the E12A at some point, but so far I'm very pleased with the sound of the player on its own. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,874 of 7,088
Jul 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,875 of 7,088
Why did you have to go and start adding up the price of the portable gear? I'd been thinking that $350 was a reasonable price for DAP and that the Westone W40's (not counting the B&W P7's...for portable use) weren't too expensive considering how much they're used...the E12A sounded like a good deal (love that amp) and then next thing you know your investment is starting to grow. But then, you take a second to realize that many here have spent far more than that on their IEM's/headphones or player alone and it makes me feel better. :D

I haven't been at this portable audio/headphone hobby for very long as I'd always been a more interested in my full-size audio gear and listening to that system. Yet, I've got to say that it didn't take much time to realize that you could get incredible sound/music for very little money with headphones and a good HP amp or DAP.

I know all too well the high price of an audiophile addiction. I started getting into car audio last October or so and dropped about 5k in 6 months on my car audio setup (and I don't make a ton of money by any means). Now my addiction has brought me to head-fi to get a quality DAP and headphones, this is going to get expensive real quick...

Actually what has me really worried is the cost of hi-res downloads, my car has stock DVD-A capability which launched me into the world of hi-res. This prompted me to frantically search for every album I've ever enjoyed in hi-res, unfortunately many of the titles I have loved through the years weren't available. But that actually forced me to get into classic rock because they have by far the most hi-res titles so I'm actually grateful. I found some HDtracks on torrents but it pains me to download hi-res for free because I want to show my support for it by buying it, $24 an album adds up though.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,876 of 7,088

Why did you have to go and start adding up the price of the portable gear? I'd been thinking that $350 was a reasonable price for DAP and that the Westone W40's (not counting the B&W P7's...for portable use) weren't too expensive considering how much they're used...the E12A sounded like a good deal (love that amp) and then next thing you know your investment is starting to grow. But then, you take a second to realize that many here have spent far more than that on their IEM's/headphones or player alone and it makes me feel better. 
biggrin.gif

I know all too well the high price of an audiophile addiction. I started getting into car audio last October or so and dropped about 5k in 6 months on my car audio setup (and I don't make a ton of money by any means). Now my addiction has brought me to head-fi to get a quality DAP and headphones, this is going to get expensive real quick...

Actually what has me really worried is the cost of hi-res downloads, my car has stock DVD-A capability which launched me into the world of hi-res. This prompted me to frantically search for every album I've ever enjoyed in hi-res, unfortunately many of the titles I have loved through the years weren't available. But that actually forced me to get into classic rock because they have by far the most hi-res titles so I'm actually grateful. I found some HDtracks on torrents but it pains me to download hi-res for free because I want to show my support for it by buying it, $24 an album adds up though.

Oh man don't get me started on the prices of hi-rez downloads. What a farce.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,877 of 7,088
  Very nice, but i would prefer a new HS-9 style case for the X5ii, if i buy one, unless FiiO says that the original HS-9 case will fit the X5ii, but I can't see that considering the size difference between the two players.

I like the look of the case, but am not fond of needing to open the cover every time.  It's a very good looking case, perfect for traveling.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,878 of 7,088

The prices for a 24-bit download is crazy. I only spring for one now and then, when it's for something that I already know I'll like or for a high-rez copy of a CD I already have. The good news is that it's getting very easy to find new or like-new CD's on Amazon for under $10...at least then you have the CD in hand to burn as many times as you like. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,879 of 7,088

FYI... Dignis is now showcasing the X5 II cases on their website, so I'm sure they'll be readily available soon.

http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=104&cate_no=1&display_group=3

Thanks for the heads up!
I've been checking Amazon for them every couple of days...gotta love the feel of the Dignis case. I have one on the X5 and I love the way in a couple of days it just molded itself to the player. Now I just gotta get one for the X5 II.  Thanks again.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,880 of 7,088
  I've been checking Amazon for them every couple of days...gotta love the feel of the Dignis case. I have one on the X5 and I love the way in a couple of days it just molded itself to the player. Now I just gotta get one for the X5 II.  Thanks again.

They're only offering two colors.  Which one do you think you'll purchase?  Black or brown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back