FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #2,851 of 7,088
hi... i just got this player. i created a playlist externally and it can play every song there except one. says that the file is not found but it's clearly there and i can play that song from its own folder. i tried recreating the playlist as well. 

anyone knows why? i searched the thread but didn't manage to find any answer. 

Your best bet is here:

http://m.fiio.net/en/supports

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #2,852 of 7,088
  hi... i just got this player. i created a playlist externally and it can play every song there except one. says that the file is not found but it's clearly there and i can play that song from its own folder. i tried recreating the playlist as well. 

Can you post exact name of file and folder it resides in if any?

Eg - I know that you can't use a folder named "#" for artists with numbers (eg 3 Doors Down), as the playlist reads the "#" as a comment rather than a folder name ......

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #2,853 of 7,088
I deleted the playlist, created another one with a different name and the song plays. here's where it gets weird... in the new play list, no matter what I put as the first song, it will not appear in the list when played. I opened the playlist in Notepad and added a blank line on the top and voila, the whole list of songs appear. seems a bit finicky. 

FYI - the songs are mostly in the normal Latin alphabet, no special characters nor are they particularly long. there are some songs in Japanese but they play fine. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #2,854 of 7,088
  I think that the heat is generated more by the amps, and DAC than microsds. 

Also, microsd jitter should not be a problem, because the files are buffered, and the reading is done before-hand, so no reading takes places in the moment of playing. Maybe a little jitter at the beggining of the song. 

TerraPlayers reads differently, if iy had problems with jitter like that. 

Also, current surges because of microsd reading should be minor, I mean, compared with the current used by AMP, DAC, display, and other circuits, the microsd surges should not be very significant. 

Though, I do think that as Terra player uses a different phylosophy, it works exactly as stated, I think that this ideea will not work the same for other DAPs. 

Yeah, I'm not pretending to understand what's really going on here. Finally, in utter desperation I did a reformat but with 64k as the cluster. (the fiio does a fat32 with 32k cluster format.) I've loaded up the cards to the hilt with hi-res and there is now definitely more "blackness" to the point that I can be happy with it.
I can only theorize that by formatting with 64k clusters the speed of the card is faster and the Fiio only has to refer to the card half the time as when it is formatted with 32k cluster. Please try it out for yourselves headfiers and see if this makes a difference for you. (so far the sandisk ultra 128 gb cards are working just fine with 64k clusters)

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,855 of 7,088
I'm using and really enjoying the FiiO X5 II yet I'm curious if the way I've always kept the music on my PC and load it on the DAP is unusual.

On my PC, all of the music in the "My Music" folder are complete albums, each album in its own folder, named and tagged with the album art (resized sized to 500X500). For example;  Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop  24.96 (FLAC) or Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti  24.96 (FLAC). 

I'm not having any issues as all, simply curious if anyone else does something similar to this, or if my way of cataloging my music library is a bit odd? 

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,856 of 7,088
I have Artist Folders then Albums within each. Each album folder now has the year in brackets preceding it, so all albums for an artist are in order. Also have FLAC, DSD, or Hi-Res after each Album Tiltle again in brackets.
Further, Album Title meta data also has Year preceding it. Took a bit sorting out, but now whether I play by Directory, Artist or any other means, my DAPs, multi-room Sonos system, and NAS drive playback all have the info I require. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,857 of 7,088
  I'm using and really enjoying the FiiO X5 II yet I'm curious if the way I've always kept the music on my PC and load it on the DAP is unusual.

On my PC, all of the music in the "My Music" folder are complete albums, each album in its own folder, named and tagged with the album art (resized sized to 500X500). For example;  Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop  24.96 (FLAC) or Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti  24.96 (FLAC). 

I'm not having any issues as all, simply curious if anyone else does something similar to this, or if my way of cataloging my music library is a bit odd? 

Thanks.

Don't know if it's odd or not, but that's exactly the way i do it, although I also use JRiver Media Center as well in the same way.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,858 of 7,088
  Don't know if it's odd or not, but that's exactly the way i do it, although I also use JRiver Media Center as well in the same way.

I use JRMC as well (love it) and all my music shows up the exact same way there. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,859 of 7,088
UPDATE,

Ok, so I received my replacement unit and I am completely satisfied with the sound. I can now use the headphone port with no issues. Tracks change instantaneously. In my truck it makes the bass so much tighter and makes that under the seat upfiring sealed box sound better than it should. Huge difference. I've used the x5ii with my ATH-M50X'S IEM M-DUO'S, and I even dusted off my IEM beats tours. Worth the $. I will rework all of the album art in my collection to see if it improves the lag in the interface while changing tracks. Switching between menus ( artist album songs ) still has significant lag. As much as 11 seconds. Although annoying, surprisingly, it is a price I am willing to pay. I believe I will still use my e18k stacked with my Note 4, just because it has its own sound signature which I enjoy very much personally. If we can only get a device like the x5ii with a touch screen and Power Amps UI. That I would Pay eh $500-$700 for. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,860 of 7,088
  UPDATE,

Ok, so I received my replacement unit and I am completely satisfied with the sound. I can now use the headphone port with no issues. Tracks change instantaneously. In my truck it makes the bass so much tighter and makes that under the seat upfiring sealed box sound better than it should. Huge difference. I've used the x5ii with my ATH-M50X'S IEM M-DUO'S, and I even dusted off my IEM beats tours. Worth the $. I will rework all of the album art in my collection to see if it improves the lag in the interface while changing tracks. Switching between menus ( artist album songs ) still has significant lag. As much as 11 seconds. Although annoying, surprisingly, it is a price I am willing to pay. I believe I will still use my e18k stacked with my Note 4, just because it has its own sound signature which I enjoy very much personally. If we can only get a device like the x5ii with a touch screen and Power Amps UI. That I would Pay eh $500-$700 for. 

Agreed! Same experience in my cars - the subs are very happy indeed and the tweeters aren't complaining either. I have after market systems in both cars and traditionally fed them 256 AAC files from my iPod Classic 160's - the X5ii is so much better. The ability to play hi res audio by way of a portable DAP in an automobile is amazing - had to use physical DVD's in the car before that to achieve those results.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2,861 of 7,088

Check the line of that song that not exceed 130 characters in the file with Notepad or any other text editor. Lines with more than 130 characters are not supported and tells that the file is not found.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #2,862 of 7,088
  Check the line of that song that not exceed 130 characters in the file with Notepad or any other text editor. Lines with more than 130 characters are not supported and tells that the file is not found.

it's not that long and the song plays after I recreated the playlist. there's another quirky issue that you can read about in my subsequent post. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,863 of 7,088
So I have had my heart set on the Luxury & Precision L5, but at $655 it would put me in kind of a bad spot with the wife, so I am now considering the X5II. Anybody have any experience with these two who could help me make this decision?

Jul 24, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #2,864 of 7,088
  So I have had my heart set on the Luxury & Precision L5, but at $655 it would put me in kind of a bad spot with the wife, so I am now considering the X5II. Anybody have any experience with these two who could help me make this decision?

I enjoy the X5II very much, but if money is such an issue... what about the X3 II or Hidizs' AP100?

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,865 of 7,088

Like ASpencer stated earlier, I too really enjoy the X5ii. Although the L&P L5 looks very nice- honestly the single SD card slot and size would deter me from purchasing it. I really enjoy walking around with the X5ii and it works nice inside a pocket so fidelity and portability are balanced perfectly for my needs. I've already invested nearly $900 in the purchase factoring in the X5ii, 2 128 GB SD cards, phones, audio cables, etc. so consider the player's price carefully. Then there's the instant appreciation for better sound, the urge to upgrade the cans, the launch of the X7, and a new hobby that's, well, become sort of an addiction.

Then again, it's generally a good idea not to get on the wife's bad side as I probably pushed the "Father's Day" purchasing limit threshold with my new toy. I share your pain and hope you find something that works well for both of you- good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back