FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,551 of 7,088
Does anyone know if the X5 II has the same dual-core CPU as the OG X5 or does it use a single-core CPU? When I look up the Ingenic JZ4760B it says single-core, yet I'm not sure if that is the same one used in the original X5 or not. Possibly the single-core is a misprint. 

I know that the TI PGA2311A volume control used by the X5 II is an expensive part for a DAP in this price range. It's used in some rather pricey higher-end preamps and integrated amps. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #2,552 of 7,088
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,553 of 7,088
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,554 of 7,088
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,555 of 7,088
I'm often puzzled by reviews that some write on Amazon. At times, it appears to be a fan of one brand that feels the need to drag down the score of a product from another company...other times I simply have no idea what they're hearing. Obviously we all have our own opinions and they will vary, though I've yet to hear a smartphone (haven't heard them all) that sounds as good as the X5 II. Take away its ability to be used as a stand alone DAC, the ability to play DSD and it still has higher quality components than a smartphone and it will sound more neutral, dynamic and spacious than any phone I've heard. 

Even with my Westone W40's, which aren't on the level of his SE846's, I hear a layering of the soundstage that I've not heard before on a FiiO DAP. Of course, this is simply my opinion. 
He does appear to be a huge fan of the PUMA soccer cleats!...so there's that. 

As an aside, if you look at some of the Schiit Audio headphone amp reviews on Amazon you'll see some guys giving low scores saying that an amp isn't needed for your headphones. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #2,558 of 7,088

Maybe the reviewer is deaf?

It's the same guy that reviewed the Monster Turbines last year and said they are the best headphones money can buy and then followed  up that review saying the Coppers sounded the same as the originals.  LOL.  5 years ago...MAYBE they were good, but certainly not now.

He seems to suggest at least, that he is using Shure 846's now.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,559 of 7,088

It's the same guy that reviewed the Monster Turbines last year and said they are the best headphones money can buy and then followed  up that review saying the Coppers sounded the same as the originals.  LOL.  5 years ago...MAYBE they were good, but certainly not now.

Well he aint wrong

For a monster sized turbine of this size. He is going to need the best ear protection headphones money can buy if he still wants to hear afterwards 
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,560 of 7,088
Last night I added a bunch of 24/192 HD tracks to one of the 64GB cards in my X5II.
This morning I decided to do a manual update of the library.
The screen has been on and stuck at the same number (media lib updating) for seven hours.
I am using X RELIC X latest custom theme FW 1.0.
The unit is plugged into an AC adapter and the battery is fully charged.
Is this normal? I don't plan to listen to my X5II for 16 hours, should I just let it continue the update?

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,561 of 7,088
  Last night I added a bunch of 24/192 HD tracks to one of the 64GB cards in my X5II.
The screen has been on and stuck at the same number (media lib updating) for seven hours.
Is this normal? I don't plan to listen to my X5II for 16 hours, should I just let it continue the update?

No, that's not normal. Check the number of the concerned file and reset the player. There's some likelihood that something on that file or the next one is incompatible with the X5 II.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,562 of 7,088

Given that I only changed images and text colors, and my FW is 5mb smaller than the stock FW, I don't think it's my custom theme that would be causing the issue. To be safe though you'll want to stop the update by powering off the unit and reload the official FW. With the official FW on the X5ii try to do the update again. More than likely you have a file that may be corrupt, or a file the player does not recognize in the folders of the new music.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,563 of 7,088
Hi guys first time poster long time reader so first post. I have been following this thread since the start and I'm the first to admit I am a big FiiO fanboy,currently own FiiO X1,X3ii,X5,X5ii I have Dignis cases for all of them. Some of you are Dignis case fans so you might like to know that Dignis cases for X5ii are available on eBay now,just bought one myself. Currently using Sennheiser Momentums for my X5ii which sound good to me but I find the treble on this player a little bright relative to first gen X5 and the lower mid bass a little light as well. Is there a pair of headphones that someone can recommend to use with X5ii to make it sound a little warmer? In some ways I prefer the sound from X3ii or maybe that's just me?
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,565 of 7,088
My review is up!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-2nd-gen-premium-hi-res-dap/reviews/13549

Happy reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back