FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 12, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #2,566 of 7,088
  Hi guys first time poster long time reader so first post. I have been following this thread since the start and I'm the first to admit I am a big FiiO fanboy,currently own FiiO X1,X3ii,X5,X5ii I have Dignis cases for all of them. Some of you are Dignis case fans so you might like to know that Dignis cases for X5ii are available on eBay now,just bought one myself. Currently using Sennheiser Momentums for my X5ii which sound good to me but I find the treble on this player a little bright relative to first gen X5 and the lower mid bass a little light as well. Is there a pair of headphones that someone can recommend to use with X5ii to make it sound a little warmer? In some ways I prefer the sound from X3ii or maybe that's just me?
L3000.gif

Welcome to head fi . sorry about your wallet

What you are experiencing is really more of an extent of your entry into headphone audio.

It's that you prefer the sound of the warmer units and the chips utilized in X3 II and what not are suited for it.

In layman's terms. The X5 II is a higher level unit that aims to emulate (successfully or not, you decide) the transparency and high-fidelity sound production that high-end units use. 

You not liking it and wanting to make it warmer is really a sign that it's just not a right fit for you. You can definately EQ the X5 II or get headphones for it. But that's really just masking the problem.

this is a good sign though. It means you get to save yourself money as it may seem that higher end units or sound just don't fit your needs be it that they just aren't what you like or that you haven't really the time or money to spend to try to aquire the tastes that those units are developed for.

I would say to stick to the X3 II and some headphones that you like. You'll be much happier that way

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #2,567 of 7,088

No, that's not normal. Check the number of the concerned file and reset the player. There's some likelihood that something on that file or the next one is incompatible with the X5 II.

As I've posted previously, I've had a history of problems completing media updates on both the new X3 and X5.  It seems endemic.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,568 of 7,088

It's the same guy that reviewed the Monster Turbines last year and said they are the best headphones money can buy and then followed  up that review saying the Coppers sounded the same as the originals.  LOL.  5 years ago...MAYBE they were good, but certainly not now.

His reviews on the X3 II have deterred some people from purchasing that wonderful, affordable DAP based on the "helpful" votes, but so far his X5 II review is tanking and I hope it stays that way.  I posted the review here so that others could give the guy a "nay" as he doesn't know what he's talking about, but his words could be persuasive for the unenlightened.  He writes from a very autocratic manner. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,569 of 7,088
His reviews on the X3 II have deterred some people from purchasing that wonderful, affordable DAP based on the "helpful" votes, but so far his X5 II review is tanking and I hope it stays that way.  I posted the review here so that others could give the guy a "nay" as he doesn't know what he's talking about, but his words could be persuasive for the unenlightened.  He writes from a very autocratic manner. 

I wonder if I haven't run across this guy on headfi...

There's someone (forget who right now) who likes to pop into DAP threads and try to convince everyone that DAPs sound like his smartphone. And because "mr lead ears" can't hear a difference, why should anyone else?

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,570 of 7,088
Hi guys first time poster long time reader so first post. I have been following this thread since the start and I'm the first to admit I am a big FiiO fanboy,currently own FiiO X1,X3ii,X5,X5ii I have Dignis cases for all of them. Some of you are Dignis case fans so you might like to know that Dignis cases for X5ii are available on eBay now,just bought one myself. Currently using Sennheiser Momentums for my X5ii which sound good to me but I find the treble on this player a little bright relative to first gen X5 and the lower mid bass a little light as well. Is there a pair of headphones that someone can recommend to use with X5ii to make it sound a little warmer? In some ways I prefer the sound from X3ii or maybe that's just me?:L3000:

Funny, I would suggest the Momentums for a warmer, more laid back headphone. If you want more bass then perhaps the Vmoda M-100 will do it for you.

Being that you're a FiiO fanboy you have perspective on each player's strenghts. The X5ii's strength is transparency and clarity. Texture and detail. As I recommend with each new DAP you should listen to it exclusively for about a week. Then go back to the original X5 and see which you prefer. When I do this I always prefer the more resolving DAP even though initially I don't think I will.

Or as bowei006 mentioned perhaps you really do prefer the original X5 or X3ii and that's just the way it is. Good luck. :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,573 of 7,088
  My question about the X5 isn't whether or not I want one.  It's whether I want to buy one now instead of waiting for the X7.  

We've had people ask this question every time on every FiiO DAP ever released. 

My answer is: Keep on waiting till FiiO X1000 comes out in 2056. 

The FiiO X5 II came out officially less than a month ago. If questions on waiting for X7 are being asked now. It means you will never buy the X7 even when the X7 comes out. As then one will ask to wait for X9

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,574 of 7,088
Lol. I understand what your saying, but the x7 seems to check off so many more boxes for me. I don't want to spend $1000+ when I'm only using $400 headphones, but $700 is doable with the touch screen, large display, wi-fi, Bluetooth, and everything else. The balanced audio could be nice as well.

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #2,575 of 7,088
  I'm often puzzled by reviews that some write on Amazon. At times, it appears to be a fan of one brand that feels the need to drag down the score of a product from another company...other times I simply have no idea what they're hearing. Obviously we all have our own opinions and they will vary, though I've yet to hear a smartphone (haven't heard them all) that sounds as good as the X5 II. Take away its ability to be used as a stand alone DAC, the ability to play DSD and it still has higher quality components than a smartphone and it will sound more neutral, dynamic and spacious than any phone I've heard. 

The reviewer I've cited is getting demerits on his review, but what's most telling are his snarky and combative interactions with FiiO's X5 II's defenders that seem more knowledgeable and eloquent than he is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R14H44G46UCOWR/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00ZWAC25E

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #2,576 of 7,088
That guy is also assuming that every single person owns an apple device. While I do think that apple has came a long way, and now their products are aboe mediocre, sometimes featureing good features (ipad air has one of the best displays for a tablet), Apple is way overpriced. It does not matter what it does, I have a phone that come free and tested an iphone 6 plus. there is little difference in between them, as my phone was already pretty good, with a good hardware. Iphone costs 1000 Euros, where an X5II costs 360 Euros. Even Fiio x7 is planned to cost less than a new iphone 6 plus. 

My point is that I want only the best music, so I get a DAP. People getting a smartphone should understand that it does not have a great amplifier, and smartphones will not sound the same as a dedicated DAP. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #2,578 of 7,088
Funny, I would suggest the Momentums for a warmer, more laid back headphone. If you want more bass then perhaps the Vmoda M-100 will do it for you.

Being that you're a FiiO fanboy you have perspective on each player's strenghts. The X5ii's strength is transparency and clarity. Texture and detail. As I recommend with each new DAP you should listen to it exclusively for about a week. Then go back to the original X5 and see which you prefer. When I do this I always prefer the more resolving DAP even though initially I don't think I will.

Or as @bowei006 mentioned perhaps you really do prefer the original X5 or X3ii and that's just the way it is. Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the replies, its really hard to decide whether or not to keep the original X5 or X5ii based on all the reviews most members are saying they sound very similar but to my ears they are quite different. X5 undoubtedly sounds better with heavy metal music but I find X5ii sound far better with piano based music, unfortunately I listen to a very wide variety of music. So I was thinking maybe there may be a pair of headphones more suited to being used with X5ii, any advise or ideas is greatly appreciated. Im not a bass head cant stand "beats" headphones but having said that I like my AKG K550 but do find them lacking in bass, I don't use an equalizer, to me a good pairing shouldn't need to be equalized. Knowing I like the sound signature of sennheiser momentums would something like Audio Technica ATH-M50X be suitable or are they in a different league all together?

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #2,579 of 7,088
  Thanks for all the replies, its really hard to decide whether or not to keep the original X5 or X5ii based on all the reviews most members are saying they sound very similar but to my ears they are quite different. X5 undoubtedly sounds better with heavy metal music but I find X5ii sound far better with piano based music, unfortunately I listen to a very wide variety of music. So I was thinking maybe there may be a pair of headphones more suited to being used with X5ii, any advise or ideas is greatly appreciated. Im not a bass head cant stand "beats" headphones but having said that I like my AKG K550 but do find them lacking in bass, I don't use an equalizer, to me a good pairing shouldn't need to be equalized. Knowing I like the sound signature of sennheiser momentums would something like Audio Technica ATH-M50X be suitable or are they in a different league all together?

That's an unfortunate premise, as without it you'd find the optimal solution: X5 II plus adding some bass. Why make it more complicated than necessary? You seem to think that all headphones have to sound perfect from the start. How can this be, since they all sound so different? Do yourself a favor and care for your own sonic preferences instead of accepting what's there.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,580 of 7,088
  My answer is: Keep on waiting till FiiO X1000 comes out in 2056. 

But I hear it doesn't tear off the toilet paper into accurate sheet counts. The X1001 is supposed to address that. No X1000 for me!

Very different. The Momentum is more laid-back and keeps the overall Senn sound. The M50x is more lively with better bass and more treble emphasis but lesser mids IMO. A very good portable can for the price if you want an energetic and decently detailed sound with good bass extension. Far from neutral but fun and good clarity/detail. Sound great with either X5 or X5ii without further amping. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back