FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 12, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #6,991 of 7,088
Looks like someone tried to get the source code in order to update the firmware.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42613&extra=&page=2&mobile=yes

Not sure what Game Fiio is playing but I don't like it.

What makes you think they are playing any game? Their GPL requirements for source code are for their Android players - and this does not include the early X1, X3 and X5 players which were their own OS (developed in house). They've chosen not to release the source code. That's their call - it's their property after all. That other BS from that forum post was simply someone not understanding the GPL didn't apply to the earlier players.

If the guy was really keen on developing, he can unpack the OS using the same toolset Relic used to unpack and repack the themes. He'd then need to decompile the proprietary OS, make his changes, recompile and test. No-one stopping him doing that on his own device.

May 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #6,992 of 7,088
Looks like someone tried to get the source code in order to update the firmware.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42613&extra=&page=2&mobile=yes

Not sure what Game Fiio is playing but I don't like it.

In the beginning Fiio was pretty good about updates and customer service, not great but good.
Since they have had a fair amount of success, it seems to me that they are becoming more about the " next big thing" as opposed to correcting what is already out there. They seem to be putting out hardware like a vending machine dispenser spitting one after one. At first for a few months there will be updates an then poof, nothing, but look we have another messed up dap for you.

As for CS, I start to wonder does " James Fiio" really exist or is it a fake label and that whomever is at the help desk responses, just saying.
As for the source code, it seems that I MAY remember somewhere back in the beginning there was mention of code being available for use, why would Fiio not allow those of us here that seems to have much more skill at coding then those that they employ

May 13, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #6,993 of 7,088
As for Fiio's OS, really you honestly think it was their in house brand as AT that time period when Daps were coming to the fore front or trying to, did not all the early adapters not "share" a similar OS that I am sure has been mentioned here numerous times.lease correct me if I am wrong.

Besides if Fiio and others can't or will not correct thier mistakes, why not let others do it if they can, perhaps something can be learned.
I really do not like to spend my money on shoddy product as some are to lazy, cheap , greedy to correct what wrongs that they have created. , when we as a consumer have been programmed to just accept it. If it does not work, toss it and replace.

There are those here that seem to have an endless supply of cash so maybe theses issues are not relative to them

May 13, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #6,994 of 7,088
As for Fiio's OS, really you honestly think it was their in house brand as AT that time period when Daps were coming to the fore front or trying to, did not all the early adapters not "share" a similar OS that I am sure has been mentioned here numerous times.lease correct me if I am wrong.

Besides if Fiio and others can't or will not correct thier mistakes, why not let others do it if they can, perhaps something can be learned.
I really do not like to spend my money on shoddy product as some are to lazy, cheap , greedy to correct what wrongs that they have created. , when we as a consumer have been programmed to just accept it. If it does not work, toss it and replace.

There are those here that seem to have an endless supply of cash so maybe theses issues are not relative to them

ive been looking at the Cowon Plenue D2, seems to be a killer DAP for the price... the only thing is it only has one SD card and no USB DAC. Either way though i like what Cowon is doing with their new players, for those that dont need android and all the extra features it keeps the cost's low for a relatively well performing device which apparently is very reliable and has a battery life of 30+ hours. Anyone want to buy a gently used x5ii? Lol ill be installing a brand new battery when it comes in.

@Brooko thats a fair statement and you're likely right. Im just a little frustrated that as the consumer we buy a product on the pretense that issue's that present itself were supposed to have been fixed. Some issues were fixed while others were not. Essentially features that were sold with the unit do not work as they were advertised. On a side note, in 2016 Nvidia just wrapped up a lawsuit and were ordered to pay a certain amount of money back to the consumer of their GTX 970 for false advertising of 4GB Video ram when there was actually only 3.5GB. At any rate its a moot point and just an example as its not possible to sue a chinese company as far as im aware. I think alot of us purchased the unit knowing that Fiio was great at listening to their consumers and giving them what they want. They have since changed their business model it seems, i feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me as im left with a partially featured device.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #6,995 of 7,088
ive been looking at the Cowon Plenue D2, seems to be a killer DAP for the price... the only thing is it only has one SD card and no USB DAC. Either way though i like what Cowon is doing with their new players, for those that dont need android and all the extra features it keeps the cost's low for a relatively well performing device which apparently is very reliable and has a battery life of 30+ hours. Anyone want to buy a gently used x5ii? Lol ill be installing a brand new battery when it comes in.

@Brooko thats a fair statement and you're likely right. Im just a little frustrated that as the consumer we buy a product on the pretense that issue's that present itself were supposed to have been fixed. Some issues were fixed while others were not. Essentially features that were sold with the unit do not work as they were advertised. On a side note, in 2016 Nvidia just wrapped up a lawsuit and were ordered to pay a certain amount of money back to the consumer of their GTX 970 for false advertising of 4GB Video ram when there was actually only 3.5GB. At any rate its a moot point and just an example as its not possible to sue a chinese company as far as im aware. I think alot of us purchased the unit knowing that Fiio was great at listening to their consumers and giving them what they want. They have since changed their business model it seems, i feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me as im left with a partially featured device.

So where are you getting the battery from.
I have the X5 2 as well

May 14, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #6,996 of 7,088
So where are you getting the battery from.
I have the X5 2 as well

It's this one, I did change it once before but it was a poor quality one from eBay that was probably sitting in a desk draywer for 6 months. Run time is about 6 hours and I had to solder the wiring harness that plugs into the board from the old battery. The one from alliexpress should be better, plus it's plug and play. I can probably take some pictures of the surgery if anyone is interested...it's very straight forward.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32970...d=9648amp-bSkvQOM-Z_XUZ43WCbtvXg1557841133947

i think i will just keep the X5ii for what its worth, the Sound is great so no complaints there...just the sleep mode that is buggy and the batteries really. If i can get replacement batteries from alliexpress i think that should keep me for a few more years. Its kind of like the ipod classic which had the best SQ and massive storage before the ipod touch came with its poor SQ but with more features and a touch screen.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #6,997 of 7,088
Following what I’ve read on this thread, I upgraded one of my micro SD cards from 64 to 256GB whitout a hassle. My X5 II is running now with 128 + 256 cards, and I hope it’ll remain in service for a long time. Thanks to you, headfiers for the useful information you provide.

May 20, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #6,998 of 7,088
Following what I’ve read on this thread, I upgraded one of my micro SD cards from 64 to 256GB whitout a hassle. My X5 II is running now with 128 + 256 cards, and I hope it’ll remain in service for a long time. Thanks to you, headfiers for the useful information you provide.

Yes, I also don't have any issue (2x 256GB). I don't use the Media library - don't think that will work, or do you also use the database (media library)?

May 20, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #6,999 of 7,088
I don't use the Media Library as well.

May 20, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #7,000 of 7,088
Besides a large laptop does such a device exist?

There’s the xDuoo X10T (not to be confused with the X10 with no T, which is a DAP). It’s a digital transport device. Headfonia did a review on the first one:https://www.headfonia.com/review-xduoo-x10t/
There’s a second gen model out now, which Headfonia have lined up for review too. I haven’t used either, so can’t comment on what they’re like. As far as I know they’re the only pure digital transport devices out there though.

May 20, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #7,001 of 7,088
There’s the xDuoo X10T (not to be confused with the X10 with no T, which is a DAP). It’s a digital transport device. Headfonia did a review on the first one:https://www.headfonia.com/review-xduoo-x10t/
There’s a second gen model out now, which Headfonia have lined up for review too. I haven’t used either, so can’t comment on what they’re like. As far as I know they’re the only pure digital transport devices out there though.

Awesome! I wasn't aware of this device so thanks for directing me to it. It's exactly what I was looking for.

May 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #7,002 of 7,088
Awesome! I wasn't aware of this device so thanks for directing me to it. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Yeah it seems to have flown under the radar. I had been thinking about one as a source for the Mojo, as I thought the coaxial input on Mojo sounded a touch different to the USB, but the V1 product didn’t do gapless playback which was a big shortcoming for me. There’s not much info around so I was hoping Headfonia would publish their review soon - they had a photo on Instagram a while back of the X10TII saying they’d be covering it. There’s some info on this thread with a user saying gapless works on the II model: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/obscure-chinese-daps.720512/page-366#post-14691563

May 21, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #7,003 of 7,088
Don’t mean to derail this thread, but I found a good deal on eBay for the X10TII, about 180 USD, so figured I’d just go ahead and order one. It’ll take a few weeks to arrive but if you’re interested I’ll post some impressions over in that “obscure Chinese DAPs” thread linked above once I start using it.

May 25, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #7,005 of 7,088
I am hoping someone can help me with this very recent problem with my X5ii. I bought a few tracks of Type O Negative and Thin Lizzy from iTunes (.m4a), like I have a hundred times before, for my iPod and then dragged the new tracks to my X5ii, also like I have many times before. For some reason, my player says those files are not supported. The tracks play on my iPod, and even on a minidisc I just burned, but are still show as not supported on the X5. I put the card in the adaptor, slotted it in my laptop, and the tracks are there, and play without a problem. Now, when I put the micro card in the X5 and press "Browse Files," the player totally freezes and I have to remove the card and power it down. I have never had anything like this happen before and am wondering if anyone smarter than me in this matter might be able to offer a solution or two. It seems like the card is fine in my laptop and the player seems okay, but something is very screwy since adding these few new tracks.

Thank you for any help.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back