FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 25, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #7,006 of 7,088
I am hoping someone can help me with this very recent problem with my X5ii. I bought a few tracks of Type O Negative and Thin Lizzy from iTunes (.m4a), like I have a hundred times before, for my iPod and then dragged the new tracks to my X5ii, also like I have many times before. For some reason, my player says those files are not supported. The tracks play on my iPod, and even on a minidisc I just burned, but are still show as not supported on the X5. I put the card in the adaptor, slotted it in my laptop, and the tracks are there, and play without a problem. Now, when I put the micro card in the X5 and press "Browse Files," the player totally freezes and I have to remove the card and power it down. I have never had anything like this happen before and am wondering if anyone smarter than me in this matter might be able to offer a solution or two. It seems like the card is fine in my laptop and the player seems okay, but something is very screwy since adding these few new tracks.

Thank you for any help.

Ryan
Happened to me few times, although I was using only Flac.
Are you using two micro sd card? If yes, put first only one, scan the library with the single card. After that put the second card and rescan again.

May 25, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #7,007 of 7,088
Thank you for the reply. I am only using one, not even close to full, 32gb SD card as my library isn't all that big. As soon as I try to scan the files of the one card, the unit totally freezes. I have no idea what the problem is because the same tracks play just fine on my iPod and minidisc.

May 26, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #7,008 of 7,088
It sounds like the new files are either corrupted or have some new kind of protection that benefits Apple only (I wouldn't put this past them)

Convert the files to flac so you don't lose any quality and see if they'll play then.
If not I would contact I-tunes.

Best of luck

May 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #7,009 of 7,088
Does anyone knows what metadata is used for the media library and what metadata is used when you don't use the media library? Also what are now the optimal sizes for the albumart? I resize everything to 360x360

May 26, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #7,012 of 7,088
Thank you, guys, very much for your help. I converted the files to flac, reformatted my card and reloaded the offending tracks. They now work perfectly and I will see about converting and reloading the rest of my library. I don't know what the problem was, but at least I now know how to fix it if it happens again.

Thanks again,
Ryan

May 26, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #7,013 of 7,088
Does anyone knows what metadata is used for the media library and what metadata is used when you don't use the media library? Also what are now the optimal sizes for the albumart? I resize everything to 360x360
400 is the best.
I made this template that I use in Paint.net
It's 400x400 with the black parts blocking the picture with the Topbar etc.
The White is the unobstructed part and the grey will have the song information stuff superimposed over the picture if you choose to extend it into the grey.
MK1N6n6.jpg

I also use the great program MP3Tag for tagging.

May 27, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #7,014 of 7,088
Thank you, guys, very much for your help. I converted the files to flac, reformatted my card and reloaded the offending tracks. They now work perfectly and I will see about converting and reloading the rest of my library. I don't know what the problem was, but at least I now know how to fix it if it happens again.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Yeah I try and avoid anything made by Apple for reasons such as these.

May 27, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #7,015 of 7,088
400 is the best.
I made this template that I use in Paint.net
It's 400x400 with the black parts blocking the picture with the Topbar etc.
The White is the unobstructed part and the grey will have the song information stuff superimposed over the picture if you choose to extend it into the grey.
MK1N6n6.jpg

I also use the great program MP3Tag for tagging.

So you edit your albumart like this?

album.jpg

I must say - it looks a lot better!

May 27, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #7,016 of 7,088
So you edit your albumart like this?

Sure.
Your top border ensures the groups name doesn't get cut off.

With my Template you can be in full control of what is fully visible and what is obstructed.
I took your picture and just made this.
l1OAjH5.jpg

If you want the full cover to be shown just shrink it to within the white area with a border to fill the rest.

May 28, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #7,017 of 7,088
Sure.
Your top border ensures the groups name doesn't get cut off.

With my Template you can be in full control of what is fully visible and what is obstructed.

Thanks! :)

'Busting High and Low' - lol :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #7,019 of 7,088
Question: does it matter which end of the digital coax adapter (or L21 cable) you extend?

I often feed my main home system from about 15 feet away with the digital out of the X5 (assuming my AVR's DAC is a bit better). I currently do this by running a 15ft long 3.5mm TRRS female-male cable (cheap from Amazon) from my X5 to the FiiO factory coax adapter connected to my main system. I do the same thing with a 3ft TRRS connected to a FiiO L21 cable when I'm feeding my desktop headphone rig, as the L21 is a bit too short for my use.

Anyway, I wonder if there is any audio difference doing this vs. extending the other end of these adapters, i.e. with a long coax cable. It sounds great with my current method but you know, I just got to thinking. (I asked this in the Cables, etc. forum a few days ago but go no response.)

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7,020 of 7,088
Question: does it matter which end of the digital coax adapter (or L21 cable) you extend?

I often feed my main home system from about 15 feet away with the digital out of the X5 (assuming my AVR's DAC is a bit better). I currently do this by running a 15ft long 3.5mm TRRS female-male cable (cheap from Amazon) from my X5 to the FiiO factory coax adapter connected to my main system. I do the same thing with a 3ft TRRS connected to a FiiO L21 cable when I'm feeding my desktop headphone rig, as the L21 is a bit too short for my use.

Anyway, I wonder if there is any audio difference doing this vs. extending the other end of these adapters, i.e. with a long coax cable. It sounds great with my current method but you know, I just got to thinking. (I asked this in the Cables, etc. forum a few days ago but go no response.)
If there's anything wrong with your current method, you'd be informed by obvious dropouts in the sound rather than any subtle degradation.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back