[FiiO UTWS5] True Wireless Bluetooth Earhooks as Usual,Coupled with Independent AK4332 DAC
Nov 30, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #391 of 2,559
Your post is obnoxious.

Nobody forces FiiO to use the newest Qualcomm chip, they could also choose to use something else. They switched the DAC chips from AK to ESS as well and its not going to break their back.

Not quite obnoxious.

First, Qualcomm has discontinued aptx LL completely and they are slowly [phasing it out. Aptx Adaptive is meant to be its replacement So it is probably not possible to find it in any future TWS chips. Secondly, none of the older/current Qualcomm chips that supports aptx LL is designed for TWS purpose (*either too larger, draw too much power, or can't be configurated as TWS). In fact, none of these chips that supports aptx HD can be used as TWS as well. One of the big problem with aptx LL and aptx HD (*and the chips that utilized them) are that they are all pre-dated TWS, and so none of them is optimized to be used as TWS. While it is probably possible for Qualcomm to optimize them enough to build new chips on these old tech, Qualcomm instead opt for the new aptx Adaptive instead.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #393 of 2,559
Thanks for your interest in our product. The UTWS5 is available now in our Aliexpress store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003605804776.html

And it will be arranged to our oversea sellers successively.

Best regards
Hey @FiiO , I've just placed my order, looking forward in receiving it! I have also cancelled my other order of the UTWS5 from another shop on AliEpxress, just to purchase it directly from you! I hope it will get along well with my brand new FH5s :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #395 of 2,559
@FiiO @FiiO Willson

Any news on the Transparency mode? Dying to use my UTWS5 but can't until this works :frowning2:
If everything goes well, the new firmware with the support of ambient mode will be avialable at about two weeks later. We will contact you again when it could be tried by users.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #396 of 2,559
PSX_20211203_153119.jpg

The type-C version of the aptx Adaptive BT adapter has arrived and works just fine with UTWS5, same as the USB-A version.

Unfortunately I tested it with a Lightning to type-C OTG adapter on an iPad Mini and It gives me the 'this accessory requires too much power' warning. However, it could just my iPad mini is too old. I used a Type-C voltage/current meter and the adapter draws so little power that it didn't even register how much current is draw.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #397 of 2,559
PSX_20211203_153119.jpg

The type-C version of the aptx Adaptive BT adapter has arrived and works just fine with UTWS5, same as the USB-A version.

Unfortunately I tested it with a Lightning to type-C OTG adapter on an iPad Mini and
It gives me the 'this accessory requires too much power' warning.
Great to know! Will impatiently wait mine then!:)
But, how can you know that it is streaming over aptX adaptive?

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #398 of 2,559
Great to know! Will impatiently wait mine then!:)
But, how can you know that it is streaming over aptX adaptive?

The LED change pattern / color to indicate what codec it is using. A solid red, as in the picture, means it is streaming in aptx Adaptive.

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #400 of 2,559
What is that aptX-Adaptive BT called and where did you get it?

NVM did some page reading and got your link.
Did you manage to get an order through? The seller wouldn't ship to my location (Sweden), I guess UK is the same... :/

I really want that ATPX adaptive USB transmitter!

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #403 of 2,559
I tried to find it by that PS5 name but that cannot be the proper name as it is a no go.

I have tried for a long time to find one by using "aptX adaptive" as keyword in searches on Ali and elsewhere as I have had at least one set of aptX Adaptive buds (QC3040) for about one year now.

EDIT: Forgot the B&W P14's (I had them in May 2020/buggy POS though) were also aptX Adaptive and had the addition of the aptX-HD codec to fall back on and AFAIK they came out the end of 2019.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #404 of 2,559
The LED change pattern / color to indicate what codec it is using. A solid red, as in the picture, means it is streaming in aptx Adaptive.
I finally recieved it. Pairing and re-pairing is blazingly fast. It show red continous light.

But i am not sure it is using aptx adaptive.
Using Poweramp, it says it is streaming at 16bit 44hz. If i switch off the “no duck” option, streaming goes to 24bit, but sound is not streamed anymore!:frowning2:

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #405 of 2,559
But i am not sure it is using aptx adaptive.
Using Poweramp, it says it is streaming at 16bit 44hz. If i switch off the “no duck” option, streaming goes to 24bit, but sound is not streamed anymore!:frowning2:

BT codec is indicated by LED color / pattern. It has nothing to do with what poweramp (or any music app) is saying on your smartphone. What poweramp is indicating is the bitdepth / bitrate that it is outputting to the BT adapter. It has nothing to do with what BT codec is used between the BT adapter and UTWS5.

For example, people thought because Apple uses mainly AAC as its preferred BT codec, so if you are playing AAC music files on Apple devices, then it will be sent completely intact to the BT receiver (*headphone, etc). That is however a completely incorrect understanding how BT works. The AAC music will first be decoded back to PCM stream, then sent to the BT adapter (or BT chip), re-encoded to AAC and send over via BT to the receiver, then re-decoded back to PCM and convert to analog sound. So even though AAC music is played over BT devices that used AAC as BT codec, the two processes really don't have much to do with each other. The same applies to any music files vs. whatever BT codec is used. Whatever the music app is outputting and whatever the BT adapter is outputting don't concern each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back