FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jun 23, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #91 of 3,173
@nmatheis:

I also prefer a fine-grained volume control, imo the iBasso DX90's is perfect with attenuation steps of 0.5 dB over the whole adjustment range. Imo the FiiO X3 uses too huge steps in the lower regions so finding the dead-on volume you want isn't always possible.

@JamesFiiO:

One more thing: what kinds of inputs (besides a micro USB jack) will the Q5 have?
I'm really hoping that it may get a digital optical input and also an analogue 3.5 mm Line Input for using it as Amp only.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #92 of 3,173
  One more thing: what kinds of inputs (besides a micro USB jack) will the Q5 have?
I'm really hoping that it may get a digital optical input and also an analogue 3.5 mm Line Input for using it as Amp only.

Umm, if the title is anything to go by, it should have optical and line in, the line in is probably 3.5mm too considering the form factor.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #94 of 3,173
About the way to control the volume. both digital with display or analog with knobs are fine. with 3 gain control,  it is quite easy to find the suitable volume for your sensivitive IEM. 

also a volume knobs make it looks more like a audio gear but not other electronics. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #95 of 3,173
About the way to control the volume. both digital with display or analog with knobs are fine. with 3 gain control,  it is quite easy to find the suitable volume for your sensivitive IEM. 

also a volume knobs make it looks more like a audio gear but not other electronics. 

As long as I can use it with sensitive IEM, I'm happy James :)

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #96 of 3,173
@sodesuka:

You're right, reading the title hels sometimes. :-X

@JamesFiiO:

Could you please give us any further information about this question?
 3.: The most important one for me: how many steps does the digital volume control have, which is the lowest possible volume above mute in -dB and by what amount in dB does one step alter the volume? Are all steps equal or are they going to decrease the further you turn up the volume?

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #97 of 3,173

Agree. I much prefer knob volume control. It is much easier to control, as knob sensitives to the turning speed. And it looks much more classy, as you said, not like electronics toys with display. I hate volume control with push button.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #99 of 3,173

Agree. I much prefer knob volume control. It is much easier to control, as knob sensitives to the turning speed. And it looks much more classy, as you said, not like electronics toys with display. I hate volume control with push button.

I, for one do like full digital better. 

This is meant to be portable, and I think that volume knobs are much more prone to damage in general due to their more exposed nature than buttons. 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #100 of 3,173
James,

I like the DLNA idea. Without it, I would not buy Q5 even if you put 8 channels of DACs there :p

Bluetooth has improved significantly over the past 5 years, please consider it again. You probably should not make a decision based on a 5-year-old research on digital products.

Creative E5 is a powerful amp/DAC/ADC with Bluetooth. You may learn from their design.

I prefer to have more amp power than that offered by X7, if I am buying an amp/DAC again.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #101 of 3,173
  I, for one do like full digital better. 

This is meant to be portable, and I think that volume knobs are much more prone to damage in general due to their more exposed nature than buttons. 

It is not analog volume pot. Please read James thread on the first page. The volume control is using PGA2311 chip. The volume knob is to digitally control the PGA2311. And the volume knob is protected like in the shown picture. So I guess should be durable.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #102 of 3,173
Remember that full digital volume control can only work by eating into the digital bit of the music. For example, every -6dB equals to the loss of one bit. Think of the effect it will have if you are listening to a 16bit file with low volume, you could very well listening to 12bit music at the end. On the other hand, PGA2311 is actually still an analog volume control, but only the volume adjustment is digitally controlled. Therefore it offers near perfect volume match on both channel as well as very precise steps (0.5dB), but without any reduction of the digital resolution. It is pretty much an combination of the best of both world.

The actual working is usually like this: an small ADC is monitoring the pot, when the pot turns, the ADC converts the actual turning into digital signal and send it to PGA2311, then the chip sets the volume accordingly using the tiny resistors network inside the chip.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #103 of 3,173
  Remember that full digital volume control can only work by eating into the digital bit of the music. For example, every -6dB equals to the loss of one bit. Think of the effect it will have if you are listening to a 16bit file with low volume, you could very well listening to 12bit music at the end. On the other hand, PGA2311 is actually still an analog volume control, but only the volume adjustment is digitally controlled. Therefore it offers near perfect volume match on both channel as well as very precise steps (0.5dB), but without any reduction of the digital resolution. It is pretty much an combination of the best of both world.

The actual working is usually like this: an small ADC is monitoring the pot, when the pot turns, the ADC converts the actual turning into digital signal and send it to PGA2311, then the chip sets the volume accordingly using the tiny resistors network inside the chip.

That's right!

What I mean is, Q5 is not using the conventional carbon track analog volume pot, but the more modern PGA2311 analog volume control.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #104 of 3,173

The hero always apear when I need help 
L3000.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #105 of 3,173

Nice data!

I had forgotten to investigate in depth what PGA2311 does. 

Sidenote: I wonder why there are 2 volume pots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back