FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Jun 22, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #79 of 3,173
Lol, How does it affect your battery life and SQ if you don't turn on those features. It doesn't.

Same old tired argument in every Dap, amp and dac thread on head-fi. Don't do anything that might appeal to the masses outside of head-fi. Pigeon hole yourself in a very niche market. Don't think of adding new tech features. My only advice is don't do it half baked. If it's going to drop out, have connectivity and reliability issues, don't do it. But if you can offer reliable and stable uncompressed AirPlay wireless streaming, I'm all for it.

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #81 of 3,173
Lol, How does it affect your battery life and SQ if you don't turn on those features. It doesn't.

Same old tired argument in every Dap, amp and dac thread on head-fi. Don't do anything that might appeal to the masses outside of head-fi. Pigeon hole yourself in a very niche market. Don't think of adding new tech features. My only advice is don't do it half baked. If it's going to drop out, have connectivity and reliability issues, don't do it. But if you can offer reliable and stable uncompressed AirPlay wireless streaming, I'm all for it.

I fully agree with this statement. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #82 of 3,173

Personally I could care less about Airplay. I simply do not deal with the super closed Apple ecosystem! A good DLNA implementation that will play nice with everything out there is what I want.
I do agree about folks fighting something because they think it may cost them more money to the detriment of the producer and lots of others that have different desires for a high end portable DAC/AMP. FiiO has done a pretty darn good job keeping our ears happy. I feel pretty certain that they would not slap a feature in to one of their higher end devices that would make it sound crappy... As others have said... even if there may be an impact, as long as it can be turned off... no harm, no foul !

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #83 of 3,173

rec'd for common sense.

Bands over a swipe/touch screen is a non starter for most over the long haul and a deal breaker for many.
An adjustable clipping system that can hold it behind the phone seems essential.

Low profile.
Easy attachment.

The rest is up to the folks you pay in engineering to work out.

I'd add that the smartphone clip/carrier should be in the bundle. Every click on a website related to sales is another chance to lose the sale... every extra step a regular buyer has to make to get what they consider basic functionality is another reason to just skip.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #84 of 3,173
James has said WiFi won't be a huge draw on the battery. He also said the target price is around $300.

Man, for a TOTL dual DAC implementation and amp modules that you can swap out this is insanely well priced. Add features that would broaden the market and be very useful to many people and it seems like this could be a fantastic product. If you don't need a certain feature just don't use it. I don't use the crossfeed on the e12 but I didn't go complaining about its inclusion in the amp either.

I recently paid $350 for a portable amp that has no features, and it can only drive IEMs, but what it does do is amplify the audio signal very well and so I am more than happy with it. For $300 the Q5 seems like a steal of a product that would be very useful to a wide range of users. I'm looking more forward to sound impressions or at least user input on the audio path, not reading about debates whether someone will or will not use a convenience feature.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #85 of 3,173
  We are developing a new DAC/AMP , it is our flagship DAC/AMP and there are some new features will be added as below, as usual, waiting for your feedback so we can make the best for your guys.

1, First Dual DAC in our line ups. the DAC has not decided yet, maybe dual 1792A or ESS9018K2M or ESS9018 but we are worry about the power consume.  

2, It is the first DAC/AMP which supports amp module, which means you can change the amp section by yourself, btw, the amp module share the same with our X7.

3, Supports DSD128, 384K/32B.

4, The volume pots is Analog, but the volume is done by PGA2311, which is a analog volume IC but the control is digital, so we can get the best SQ, with best L/R balance and without any noise.

5, Maybe supports DLNA and airplay which means it is includes a wifi receiver. I think it is the first portable amp with WIFI input. 

6, it can supports balanced output , or big cans, IEM, or depened on what kind of amp module installed.

7, Slim design as usual. 

initial rendering. 

Wow! This is awesome!  Thanks James!

For DAC chip, any consideration for Burr-Brown DSD1793? At 90 mW it is not too bad for battery operated device. And the sound quality is quite proven, for example ifi micro iDSD.
Or probably the well known AKM4399, but it is not designed for battery powered device.  The new AKM AK4452VN seems to be designed for low voltage and low power consumption (65 mW), but not sure how is the sound quality.

Amp module will set this DAC+Amp in the High-End portable DAC+Amp. I suggest one of the option for the amp module is the combination of OPA827 Op-Amp + LME49600 buffer, my favorite combination in Fiio E12DIY.

Smart SPDIF port, one port that combined both electrical and optical SPDIF would be nice, that is also function as both electrical SPDIF output and input (switchable).

One more thing I would like to suggest is to have separate volume control for headphone output and line output. Either to use 2 of PGA2311, or one PGA4311. Like my Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, we just have to press the volume button to switch between volume for HO and LO, with an LED indicator.

Looking forward for this super DAC+Amp! 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #86 of 3,173

I'll probably get one of these to replace my Raspberry Pi/Topping NX2 DLNA stack, which I set up in which ever room I end up working in so that I can listen to the files on my NAS.

I also have one of these which will serve well enough for portable use: http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-rp-wd02-filehub-6000mah-power-bank.html

It's a portable DLNA server/Wifi access point with a built in battery (OK - so really I'll use my X3, but I *could* use this if I really wanted...maybe once I get to the hotel...).

And for anyone who can't see how this can be controlled from a phone, google "MPD Clients". There is no need for huge bandwidth, and most use auto-discovery, so set-up is simple. Of course, there is no guarantee that the Q5 will use MPD, but this shows that it is entirely possible to do as Fiio are suggesting (of course), and to make it easy to use and set-up.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #87 of 3,173
@JamesFiiO:

Sounds interesting.

Just three quick question:

1.: What's the approximated price in $ and does it include at least one amp module?

2.: What's the estimated date of the release?

3.: The most important one for me: how many steps does the digital volume control have, which is the lowest possible volume above mute in -dB and by what amount in dB does one step alter the volume? Are all steps equal or are they going to decrease the further you turn up the volume?

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #88 of 3,173
Dual AK4490 ?

OPA637 (May be 637sm) Module at high output for headphones?

A very good Lineout?

When will it release?

I hope it can work well with EL-8 closed .

And sound smooth, airy, spacious, big deep and wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back