FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #1,111 of 3,739
Quote:

But it's not like there's ground noise from the charger. If that was the case, the noise would get louder as I increase volume.

Noise from a charger or a ground loop would not necessarily be louder when volume is increased.

If the noise broke into the amplifier stage, then turning the volume up and down would affect the noise level.

Quote:
I am a new headfi'er that just got an E12 and wanted to add my first impressions and comparison to E11 on this thread, but it was too long and seemed off-topic for what is being discussed now.  If you are interested, here is the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650293/fiio-e12-mont-blanc-first-impression-and-e11-comparison

I've gotten a great deal of helpful information on these forums and wanted to start contributing.  Any posting advice you may have for me is welcomed, and I hope someone can benefit from my input.

(Sorry if it is impolite to post a link to my thread on this similar one - I am new to forum posting and still learning the ropes.  Thanks.)

Hey, it's not off topic.
Feel free to post it here!

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,112 of 3,739
Thanks everyone for the advice and feedback. 

Now I have a question for those that own the E12, please: I just noticed yesterday that when I turn it on, there is no sound for several seconds, then there is a loud clicking/popping noise inside the housing of the device, and then the sound comes on. The blue power light comes on immediately, but this delay in the sound starting and the noise that happens when it does worries me.  It also makes the same sound several seconds after I turn it off.  I feel like it wasn't doing this when I first got it, but I suppose there's a chance I just didn't notice it. If anyone can confirm if this is normal or not, I would really appreciate it.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,114 of 3,739

Now I have a question for those that own the E12, please: I just noticed yesterday that when I turn it on, there is no sound for several seconds, then there is a loud clicking/popping noise inside the housing of the device, and then the sound comes on. The blue power light comes on immediately, but this delay in the sound starting and the noise that happens when it does worries me.  It also makes the same sound several seconds after I turn it off.  I feel like it wasn't doing this when I first got it, but I suppose there's a chance I just didn't notice it. If anyone can confirm if this is normal or not, I would really appreciate it.

I guess you are hearing this without headphones on?
Might be an output protection relay.

OTOH,
It's good practice to turn any headphone amp On, then plug in your phones.
Unplug your 'phones, then turn the amp Off.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,115 of 3,739

Its normal. Its a relay. It protects IEMs from a huge influx in power.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,116 of 3,739
Sorry to bring up bass boost again, everything that I have read by people that own it has been positive and now it is being changed.
Am I right in thinking that the new setup is likely to sound flabby compared to the original. I like bass to be impactful and by looking at the new graph it has brought more off it. My denons don't need bass boost but my fostex t50rp would probably benefit from a bit.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,118 of 3,739
Noise from a charger or a ground loop would not necessarily be louder when volume is increased.

If the noise broke into the amplifier stage, then turning the volume up and down would affect the noise level.

Actually, I was able to hear that noise last night again. This time with my iPhone, and no charger connected.

So I'm starting to think it may not be related to the charger at all. Could be a ground loop like you say.

Quote:
Sorry to bring up bass boost again, everything that I have read by people that own it has been positive and now it is being changed.
Am I right in thinking that the new setup is likely to sound flabby compared to the original. I like bass to be impactful and by looking at the new graph it has brought more off it. My denons don't need bass boost but my fostex t50rp would probably benefit from a bit.

From what I'm hearing, boosting bass of higher frequencies will make E12 overly warm and boomy (like the C421). I don't like it, as it bleeds into lower midrange frequencies and makes midrange sound nasal/congested, but maybe it'll help with very thin/cold headphones.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,119 of 3,739
Quote:
I get the same thing and it has been occurring since I got it. I think it's normal.

Awesome.  That eases my mind.  Thanks!
Quote:
I guess you are hearing this without headphones on?
Might be an output protection relay.

OTOH,
It's good practice to turn any headphone amp On, then plug in your phones.
Unplug your 'phones, then turn the amp Off.

Yes, the noise I am referring to is within the amp itself, not coming through the headphones.  -- Thanks - yeah, I learned that the hard way with my first cMoy, lol.
Quote:
Its normal. Its a relay. It protects IEMs from a huge influx in power.

Great.  That is good to know.  Thanks very much.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,120 of 3,739

I for one think the current bass implementation is what makes the E12 not only special but different too.

I wouldn't want it changed like the E11.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,123 of 3,739
How do I know when the E12 is charged fully? Will it hurt the battery to keep it plugged in indefinitely? Thanks.

It is fully charged when the charging light stops blinking and stays solid red. If I understood the Fiio website info correctly, it is ok to leave it plugged in indefinitely.
From what I understand as well, the E12 has smart charging, meaning indefinite plug in time won't hurt it.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,125 of 3,739
That defeats the purpose of a portable amp however
How does it affect the E12's portability at all? The battery still lasts about 17 hours. The smart charging just means you can stick it on the charge when you go to bed and not have to worry about killing the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back