FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,081 of 3,739
No, it's not the headphone. I've plugged the same setup into my phones and PlayStation Vita without that buzzing noise.

I can only hear it when I plug the amp into something that's connected to a wall socket (laptop or charging media player). Ground noise, maybe?

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,084 of 3,739
Quote:
It wasn't the E12 that was plugged in, though. It was the source that was plugged in.

Please explain

Was the source pmp plugged into a wall socket or something or was it plugged into the E12?

What is the source.

Having something plugged into a computer could produce the noise.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,085 of 3,739
The source PMP was plugged into the wall (I was charging it), and then E12 was plugged into the source. That was when I first noticed the buzzing noise.

Afterward, I tried to replicate it, and it was apparent with my MacBook plus Vaio laptop as well. If the laptops were running on battery, then there was no buzzing noise. But if the laptops were plugged into the wall charger, then adjusting the volume knob would produce the buzzing noise.

It's not a deal-breaker or anything of the sort. Just an observation.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,086 of 3,739
Quote:
The source PMP was plugged into the wall (I was charging it), and then E12 was plugged into the source. That was when I first noticed the buzzing noise.

Afterward, I tried to replicate it, and it was apparent with my MacBook plus Vaio laptop as well. If the laptops were running on battery, then there was no buzzing noise. But if the laptops were plugged into the wall charger, then adjusting the volume knob would produce the buzzing noise.

It's not a deal-breaker or anything of the sort. Just an observation.

I was about to be cofused until I remembered that the E12 is an amp.

I have my Andes and Alpen thinking cap on.

Yes. This is an amp. Computers will sometimes get a buzz when charging, and because the E12 is an amp and not a DAC. It will amplifiy and have that sound as well.

Charging devices will often have this song.

Are you using an external DAC or direct hp out of mbp and vaio?

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,087 of 3,739
Direct headphone out.

But it's not like there's ground noise from the charger. If that was the case, the noise would get louder as I increase volume.

But I only hear that noise when adjusting the volume knob.

It's weird... but oh well. At least that's better than ground noise that's constantly on. In fact, E12 plugged into my laptops is dead quiet. Other amps (E11 notably) would amplify the ground noise and I'd hear it all throughout until I unplug the charger (of the laptop).

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,088 of 3,739
Quote:
Direct headphone out.

But it's not like there's ground noise from the charger. If that was the case, the noise would get louder as I increase volume.

But I only hear that noise when adjusting the volume knob.

It's weird... but oh well. At least that's better than ground noise that's constantly on. In fact, E12 plugged into my laptops is dead quiet. Other amps (E11 notably) would amplify the ground noise and I'd hear it all throughout until I unplug the charger (of the laptop).

That may be it

I have not noticed buzzing from hp out with my MBP as Mac's are generally very good with that.

The E12 is of course amplifying the signal.

Only when adjusting? So if you don't touch the knob, the sound disapears but then comes back when you move it again?

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,089 of 3,739
Actually, it's not there when I "touch" the knob. It's only when I "turn" the knob that I can hear it. It's very tinny, too. I can't hear it in most of my music... except for classical music when the room just suddenly dies off (completely) and I'm left with absolute silence.

If anything, I noticed it when it was midnight... and everyone was asleep. The ambient noise here right now according to my meter is approximately 32dB... so you can pretty much imagine how quiet it is at night.

And it's not there when the computer is not plugged in. Which is weird. I have tried different plugs, and even went to Starbucks a little while ago to test. It was just the plug.

It happens with my iPod Video, MacBook Pro (the Retina model), and my Vaio TZ, so I don't think it's the device.

Funny enough it doesn't happen to my phones (Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5).

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,090 of 3,739
Quote:
Actually, it's not there when I "touch" the knob. It's only when I "turn" the knob that I can hear it. It's very tinny, too. I can't hear it in most of my music... except for classical music when the room just suddenly dies off (completely) and I'm left with absolute silence.

If anything, I noticed it when it was midnight... and everyone was asleep. The ambient noise here right now according to my meter is approximately 32dB... so you can pretty much imagine how quiet it is at night.

And it's not there when the computer is not plugged in. Which is weird. I have tried different plugs, and even went to Starbucks a little while ago to test. It was just the plug.

It happens with my iPod Video, MacBook Pro (the Retina model), and my Vaio TZ, so I don't think it's the device.

Funny enough it doesn't happen to my phones (Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5).

What plug? The electrical plug?

Weird situation you have there. What do you deduce is causing it? The charger? E12? or something.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,091 of 3,739
Quote:
What plug? The electrical plug?

Weird situation you have there. What do you deduce is causing it? The charger? E12? or something.

I have no idea. And to be honest, it's pretty sporadic. There are times when I hear it, and there are times when I don't.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,092 of 3,739
Quote:
Yep that is the problem

It has been went over. There will be a buzz if you have your E12 plugged into a wall socket to charge

Exactly how bad is it? Only audible with IEMs or sensitive headphones? This may be a dealbreaker for me. Why does E12 buzz and other amps not (maybe not all but a greal deal of amps anyway)? Shouldn't that noise be filtered out if so, can't be that expensive...

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,093 of 3,739
Quote:

Exactly how bad is it? Only audible with IEMs or sensitive headphones? This may be a dealbreaker for me. Why does E12 buzz and other amps not (maybe not all but a greal deal of amps anyway)? Shouldn't that noise be filtered out if so, can't be that expensive...

It isn't loud but it is there. Especially for IEM users and sensitive ones. For AKG Q701, it can be tolerated as you listen louder.

FiiO held a vote. 

Better SQ with less cost but no charge while use

or

slightly lesser SQ with more cost but chage while use but with some nit picks

The second one won by a land slide. FiiO let us choose what we wanted.

There just isnt room to fix this in the E12 it seems or would raise cost a lot or reduce sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back