FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Aug 26, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #121 of 3,739
Will E12 be able to use while charging? This is a big flaw for me for E11 personally and why I wouldn't concider one. Also how many bass boost settings are planned? Any chance to add more than the 2 on E11, especially at least one lower one. I don't know how E11 is configured but I'd personally opt for +1.5dB boost, 3dB boost and 5-6dB boost. 

Personally, I think the two bass boost settings from the E11 plus one midbass reducing setting would be great, as bass boost can be very fun but many headphones and music genres could benefit from tighter bass control. Gaming too, to make explosions less disorienting :wink:

Then again, I'm not everyone. I've noticed other present and former violinists seem keen on tight, controlled bass in their music.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #122 of 3,739
Some updated information about our E12,

1, We already named our E12 as Mont Blanc, 

Mont Blanc is the highest mountain in the AlpsWestern Europe, and the European Union. It rises 4,810.45 m (15,782 ft) above sea level and is ranked 11th in the world in topographic prominence. It is also sometimes known as La Dame blanche (French for "the White Lady") or Il Bianco (Italian for "the White One").

2, The Mont Blanc may automatic switch the charge current between 450mAh and 800mAh so you can either charge it with USB ports or a Wall AC charger .

It is the first time we design an intelligent circuit to test what kind of charger it is connect to, this can help decrease the charge time when using some high

current output charge and still safe to charged by a USB port in PC/Laptop.

3, Mont Blanc can be use during charging, the power is a build in 11V li-ion rechargeable battery, the supply power will be about +/- 10V, and the -10v is

converted from 11V. the USB 5V power will boost to 14V so it can used to charge the build in 11V battery.

4, Bass Boost still there , but only 2 option, " ON " and " OFF ". 

5, We will try to put the Crossfeed inside it, but this is not a promise because it is not a necessary to our R/D department. sometimes we have to learn give up
   somethings but not try to put everything inside it. 

6, The thickness is about 14mm, it is not the most slim portable amp, but maybe it is the most slim amp which can push out at least 700mW power.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #123 of 3,739
finally some juicy info 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #125 of 3,739
Just to get this straight: are we talking about a cheap-ish portable amp capable of driving orthos? If yes, this is extremely interesting.....

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #126 of 3,739
One of my frustrations with the Ell is that the battery dies without warning and usually at the worst possible time.  I think it will be important to have a low battery indicator, preferably one that works in steps by indicating power at 50% and less than 25%/.

Also, up/down volume should be marked larger and more clearly, maybe even with raised lettering.  When I use my E11 on the go, it is difficult for me to determine which way to turn the dial if I am in the middle of a run.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #127 of 3,739
Quote:
Just to get this straight: are we talking about a cheap-ish portable amp capable of driving orthos? If yes, this is extremely interesting.....

For the Hifiman He- series (namely He-400) I've heard that 1W output is best. Would this really be capable of driving those. ( If yes, I am 100% guaranteed to buy this amp - eventually ).

This amp is looking more and more appealing in these last few days... Any idea on the cost yet feiao? It's a big issue for us students.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #128 of 3,739
I have been reading this thread with interest.   I have no idea why I want one, but I know I do  (I am still new to all this audiophile stuff but am already addicted since I got my TF10 reshells)

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #130 of 3,739
Quote:
For the Hifiman He- series (namely He-400) I've heard that 1W output is best. Would this really be capable of driving those. ( If yes, I am 100% guaranteed to buy this amp - eventually ).

This amp is looking more and more appealing in these last few days... Any idea on the cost yet feiao? It's a big issue for us students.

Just for reference, on Tyll's test setup at InnerFidelity, it takes only 33 mW (into 51 ohms) to drive HE-400 to 110 dB SPL, 204 mW (into 47 ohms) to drive HE-500 to 110 dB SPL, about like 75 mW (into 59 ohms) to drive the least sensitive of three LCD-2 samples to 110 dB SPL, 87 mW (into 58 ohms) to drive LCD-2 Rev2 to 110 dB SPL.  That's already a very loud level.

If it's something like 700 mW or more into 32 ohms or whatever, then it can cover all of the above headphones unless you listen even louder than that.  As for how it will sound with those headphones, we have no clue on that yet, but FiiO usually does a pretty good job.

I think price was suggested as something between $100 and $200—more than E11 of course but not way outside of other FiiO products.  Maybe I'm misremembering that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back