FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #3,661 of 3,739
Leaving proper feedback _for the seller_, allows both Amazon, and future buyers, to "tune up" on the seller.
If that turned out to be a recurring problem with the seller, and assuming you read the reviews before pulling the trigger, you could have avoided going through the hassle of dealing with RMAs.
You do not need to add the "intentional" part. As I said, if the seller is playing dirty, and assuming people leaves proper feedback, the game has a very short life.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,662 of 3,739
Proper feedback, yes, but the implications of your suggestion at least to me didn't feel like that. Sorry if I misunderstood, I work graveyard shift and have been up 15 hours, so kind of tired.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #3,663 of 3,739
  Just received my E12 and I am pretty disappointed. Purchased off Amazon, it appears that it was a demo unit or purchased and returned by someone else.  The box inside the main box had a rip in the center hole where someone else tried to pull it out.  I plug it into my 2 amp usb charger and wait 7 hours for the light to turn solid which is never does.  It just went from a slow blink to a fast blink. Then I unplug it and it wont even turn on.  Plug it back in and it will turn on when plugged in but the audio is all distorted. I was on the fence with this in the first place and as much as I lost listening to music everywhere, its going back and I am going to spend a bit more on Schiit stuff.  Not knocking FiiO here necessarily, just bummed out that I am just getting into hifi audio and my first experience ended like this.

What a shame to hear that happened. I have owned this amp for probably 6 months now. It is a great piece of kit for the money. I think you should give them another try once you get this sorted. The E12 is a great amp. I would bet money you will not be disappointed again.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,664 of 3,739
Can't talk about the Schiit Vali 2, as I never listened. Shiit makes good products though.
If you are into tube sound, you better look elsewhere, as the E12 just amplifies the sound coming in, with no added distorsion
wink.gif

And that's a good thing, no added distortion.

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,665 of 3,739

It seems that FiiO is going towards super-trouper DAC way when all I want is a powerful portable dac/amp that can just handle 44.1/16
I don't know whether there's a more powerful portable amp, but I sure love my E12 and it doesn't seem FiiO will come up with something better in the near future. I've been using mine for one and a half years, and I'm thinking of buying another just in case it dies unexpectedly or the battery wears off. What do you think? 

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,667 of 3,739
  It seems that FiiO is going towards super-trouper DAC way when all I want is a powerful portable dac/amp that can just handle 44.1/16
I don't know whether there's a more powerful portable amp, but I sure love my E12 and it doesn't seem FiiO will come up with something better in the near future. I've been using mine for one and a half years, and I'm thinking of buying another just in case it dies unexpectedly or the battery wears off. What do you think? 

I bought myself a FiiO E12A about a month ago and I've really been liking it. It isn't as powerful as the E12, but it does have quite a bit (I can drive Mad Dogs just fine) and can be used with lower-impedance headphones without worry of hiss or noise. I haven't compared it to the E12, but it may be another option for you.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #3,668 of 3,739
I have a HD598 Sennheiser and E12 , before I got the E12 I used to hook up my HD598 to an old Yamaha amplifier and I have to say that the Yamaha is better (but it is not very portable - about 10 kilos).

Does this make sense to you guys?

Can the 15 year old Yamaha amp outdo the brand new E12 ?

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3,669 of 3,739
I have had the e12 for about a year or so. Just got the fiio hs2 to do some a/bing. I was alwayys impressed with the e12 but now the hs2 confirms it at least to my ears with the HD800. Sounds just as good as my audio gd 10.33 when compared to x5/e12...awfully impressive. Anyone as impressed as me?....or maybe my 45 year old ears can't discern the differences there.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,673 of 3,739
  Anyone know how the Mont Blanc pairs with the HE 400s?

Awesome!

I use it several times a week with my HE-400 headphones. Not suggesting it is the equivalent to a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr 2, but the best portable amp that I have used.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #3,675 of 3,739

That is encouraging--thank you!! Have thought of adding a DAC? If so/not, why? My source is phone.

I would suggest using the phone and give it a couple weeks then determine if you are unhappy with the sound. If you are thinking of a dedicated *portable* DAC, you might as well research and find a good lossless player with an excellent DAC or buy a DAC/AMP combo. Ugh. So many options.

My advice is to use the device to play content that suits your preference (ease of use, streaming content, radio, whatever) and use it with the E12 to drive the HE-400s. A phone and the E12 will be a tight fit into most people pockets. I can do it, barely. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back