FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Sep 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,631 of 3,739
Probably this question has been asked before. I am thinking of buying Beyerdynamic T1.
Does anyone have experience with E12 + T1 ?  
Will my E12 be sufficient do drive T1 efficiently and without clipping distortion occurring?
Cheers.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #3,632 of 3,739
  Probably this question has been asked before. I am thinking of buying Beyerdynamic T1.
Will my E12 be sufficient do drive T1 efficiently and without clipping distortion occurring?
Cheers.

I got an E12A just yesterday and used it with my T1.  It won't drive the T1 to ear splitting volumes but then I don't listen to music that loud.  It wasn't a long listening session but I did listen to a variety of tracks from my X5 2nd Gen.  (Keith Jarrett, BB King, the Stones, Beck.)  I didn't detect any distortion.  It sounded clear and a little bright, which is normal for the T1.  I think the E12A and the T1 is a good match, especially since the 1st generation T1 is now selling new for about $700.        

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,633 of 3,739
I've been using it for over 6mon w/ my BD 770's 250Ω. all kinds of music.  never had clipping or any complaint.  the worth thing about the e12 is no auto-shut-off.  its so quiet i often leave it on.  it cannot boost the volume to an uncomfortable level.  i've often had it turned all the way up, but i have never been frustrated that i couldn't get it loud enough.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,634 of 3,739
Cheers.

Using E12 with 300 ohm headphones. Even without the gain, it drives them fine. I prefer to use my tube amp for I like its coloring of SQ, but the E12 does a great job.

Oct 10, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,635 of 3,739
  I got an E12A just yesterday and used it with my T1.  It won't drive the T1 to ear splitting volumes but then I don't listen to music that loud.  It wasn't a long listening session but I did listen to a variety of tracks from my X5 2nd Gen.  (Keith Jarrett, BB King, the Stones, Beck.)  I didn't detect any distortion.  It sounded clear and a little bright, which is normal for the T1.  I think the E12A and the T1 is a good match, especially since the 1st generation T1 is now selling new for about $700.        

Hmm, thanks. But my source is A17 Sony Walkman which has a notoriously low line level. I don't know the exact values but I guess the output would be much lower than X5. Maybe I'll get an ifi micro iDSD to use with the T1's. If only FiiO would make a DAC/AMP that is as powerful as the E12...

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,637 of 3,739
Hmm, thanks. But my source is A17 Sony Walkman which has a notoriously low line level. I don't know the exact values but I guess the output would be much lower than X5. Maybe I'll get an ifi micro iDSD to use with the T1's. If only FiiO would make a DAC/AMP that is as powerful as the E12...

You'd best be on the look out for the FiiO Q5.
It won't be out till next year at best, sadly.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/772186/fiio-q5-flagship-dac-amp-an-dual-dac-usb-optical-coaxial-line-in-share-the-same-amp-module-with-x7

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #3,638 of 3,739
I have the E12 paired with my AKG K612 Pro. I have to say that the two offer nice synergy together. It is as if this amp was made just for these headphones. One thing that still impresses me with this amp is how good the bass is. It is so defined, tight, and controlled. People often say that this amp has a narrow soundstage. I totally disagree with this. I think the soundstage is rather realistic sounding. Instrument location is easy to detect, and the amp offers very nice and spacious imaging. I think many have been exposed to gear which has an artificial and unrealistically widened depth. This results in the assumption that this amp is narrow upon listening. Everything is just how it should be with the E12. There is nothing fake within its presentation. I still have to drop the 2 kHz region about -2 in order to remove that well known upper midrange grain on the K612 Pro. However, after that, the sound is quite good. As a side note, I also own the E11K which I am currently using for portable use with my Sennheiser PX 100 iii. I use the E12 as my desktop amp connected to my HT OMEGA Claro Plus sound card. If anyone would like a direct comparison between the E11K and E12, just let me know. I am totally willing to do it. I am sure it has been mentioned before, but be sure to listen to lossless tunes with this amp. If you have a good pair of headphones, you will find this amp to be rather revealing. You will hear clicks, hints of static, and other noise present in low quality rips.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #3,639 of 3,739
  I have the E12 paired with my AKG K612 Pro. I have to say that the two offer nice synergy together. It is as if this amp was made just for these headphones. One thing that still impresses me with this amp is how good the bass is. It is so defined, tight, and controlled. People often say that this amp has a narrow soundstage. I totally disagree with this. I think the soundstage is rather realistic sounding. Instrument location is easy to detect, and the amp offers very nice and spacious imaging. I think many have been exposed to gear which has an artificial and unrealistically widened depth. This results in the assumption that this amp is narrow upon listening. Everything is just how it should be with the E12. There is nothing fake within its presentation. I still have to drop the 2 kHz region about -2 in order to remove that well known upper midrange grain on the K612 Pro. However, after that, the sound is quite good. As a side note, I also own the E11K which I am currently using for portable use with my Sennheiser PX 100 iii. I use the E12 as my desktop amp connected to my HT OMEGA Claro Plus sound card. If anyone would like a direct comparison between the E11K and E12, just let me know. I am totally willing to do it. I am sure it has been mentioned before, but be sure to listen to lossless tunes with this amp. If you have a good pair of headphones, you will find this amp to be rather revealing. You will hear clicks, hints of static, and other noise present in low quality rips.

I'd say that this business about the soundstage of the E12 being deficient is due to the forum flash mob blindly repeating some anecdote and creating a myth.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #3,642 of 3,739
Nov 1, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #3,643 of 3,739
  Hi,

Can advise what is the difference using 3.5mm to 3.5mm compare to your connector LOD 5?

Thanks
Nobody

Just like iPods that use those 30-pin LODs, it bypasses the internal amp and just use the amp for E12. Using 3.5mm to 3.5mm will not bypass the DAP's amp section unless the DAP has "line out" function somewhere in the settings that uses the same 3.5mm jack (Fiio X1 for example)

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,644 of 3,739
My Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen. arrived. I'm happy to say that E12 drives them in high gain efficiently even with the  low line out level of my Sony Walkman A17.
No hiss or clipping distortion whatsoever. I will try the T1 with other amps as well, but I doubt there will be any significant difference. (Already compared it to -though not a blind A/B/X test- to my Arcam irDAC and power amp.) In most tracks I don't need to go over 50% volume. 
Hatts off to FiiO 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,645 of 3,739
Strange....my long time slept E12 was taken and used to my LG V10. It is driving my Klisch Reference one. Even with the 10dB boost on, I have to turn volume to maximal value. I wonder if there is anything wrong with it? Besides it seems that I can never fully charge the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back