FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #3,676 of 3,739

I would suggest using the phone and give it a couple weeks then determine if you are unhappy with the sound. If you are thinking of a dedicated *portable* DAC, you might as well research and find a good lossless player with an excellent DAC or buy a DAC/AMP combo. Ugh. So many options.

My advice is to use the device to play content that suits your preference (ease of use, streaming content, radio, whatever) and use it with the E12 to drive the HE-400s. A phone and the E12 will be a tight fit into most people pockets. I can do it, barely. :)

I will use the phone for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Then, I'll research the DAC/combo units you suggested and see where it leads me. Thank you for your helpful comments.
dt880smile.png

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #3,677 of 3,739
I have an FiiO E12 which I use with my Sennheiser HD600s. A question I have never seen answered is whether there is any difference between the high and low gain settings (other than I have to turn the volume up higher on low gain!). Is there a sound quality benefit to one or the other, or is it just whichever sounds best to you?

Thanks in advance for any views.

Apr 23, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,678 of 3,739
Im currently waiting for my Sony LOD to arrive. I wonder what improvements it will bring. Whats everyones experience with LODs? Using the headphone out and double amping i get a very similar tonality but more of a 3d sound with the fiio e12

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #3,679 of 3,739
  I have an FiiO E12 which I use with my Sennheiser HD600s. A question I have never seen answered is whether there is any difference between the high and low gain settings (other than I have to turn the volume up higher on low gain!). Is there a sound quality benefit to one or the other, or is it just whichever sounds best to you?

Thanks in advance for any views.

I'll just state the obvious, do YOU hear benefits?  I also use my E12 with my 600's.  I read an opinion (I think on this thread somewhere, or maybe over on the HD600 thread) that the low gain setting has less distortion.  I don't hear any so I prefer the more powerful setting.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #3,680 of 3,739
Thanks. Agree completely that it's what you like the sound of that really matters, but was just interested if there was some technical reason why using the gain setting might compromise the sound.

Just been doing some tests and concluded I'll stick with the low gain setting. It still lets me get it loud enough and I have more of the volume travel to play with.

Also decided I really like the effect of the E12 bass boost with the HD600s. I'm normally very against EQ/tone controls etc (I like a monitor like sound). But I think it really helps the HD600s to fill out at the bottom - at least in my current setup.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,681 of 3,739
Guys, how much is the improvemente of a fiio e12 over a topping nx1? I have a topping that i barely use and a guy just made me a offer of 25 euros for it.... I can get a refurbished e12 for 30..... What do you guys think?

I am going to use it to power the following headphones:

Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD25-1 II

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,684 of 3,739
I see that this thread has really died down, but i figure somebody might be interested; B&H has this camp for $79 shipped right now (i admit i had been mulling it over at $100 on amazon, but bit the bullet on this price).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968290-REG/fiio_e12_mont_blanc_pro.html

Aug 5, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #3,685 of 3,739
  I see that this thread has really died down, but i figure somebody might be interested; B&H has this camp for $79 shipped right now (i admit i had been mulling it over at $100 on amazon, but bit the bullet on this price).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/968290-REG/fiio_e12_mont_blanc_pro.html

That's a super deal. I would grab it while it lasts. I paid mine (s, I have two of them) $120 from B&H, some time ago.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #3,687 of 3,739
The FiiO e12 used to be the cheap alternative to the ALO National/International/Rx series. Now that all three of those lines have been discontinued, the e12 is now even cheaper and more versatile than the current ALO portable amp products. With the B&H sale going on, that deal is now an absolute no-brainer for those needing a cheap and powerful portable amp.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #3,688 of 3,739
Just got my E12, From Amazon... yes I missed the recent BH Photo sale. 
Anyways - great amp. Very powerful. Nothing new to add that has not been added in these thread. 
Powers my Mk3's very well. :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #3,690 of 3,739
Hey guys. Just a trivial question: My new setup consists of Samsung Galaxy S4 - Cozoy Astrapi and E12.  It is agony to move them from one desk to another in the office 
mad.gif

Can I find a small (preferably hard) case to keep them in? Astrapi is like a flash USB stick, so it doesn't occupy much of a space. 

Cheers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back