FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Oct 17, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #3,691 of 3,739
Crap, Another headphone jack malfunction (first was in E17, tried to fix it and broke it :D).
Not sure if its poor headphone jack in Fiio equipment or if I am too rough on the amp. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #3,692 of 3,739
Do any of you use the e12 with the fiio x5 dap? I have both. I don't notice a need with th900-30ohm or even dt770-250s. I thought the point of the x5 is that it has an amp already like a e12 more or less built in. (Unlike common players like clipzip.)

Why then, does fiio have a "kit" product that includes both items?

I hear people saying the x5 can drive up to 300ohms, therefore no e12 necessary. True. It sounds fine without e12. That's what I want.

Then why the heck is fiio marketing a kit that includes both? Why do people cut the x5 amp out of the loop and line out to e12? I thought the whole point of a dap with an amp was to allow single portable module. How much more powerful is the e12 than the internal x5 amp? 1.3? Double?

I've been told it's not about ohms only, as headphones differ in "sensitivity". OK, what are these units of sensitivity? Are my headphones the sensitive ones? Are the sensitive ones those that need more amplification, or the insensitive?

Yes, I have both, so I have tried with and without. I'm not noticing any differences that are so obvious I'd be confident of passing a blind test. But then again I don't know what to listen for. I have gold ears according to the old Phillips test, but less training. What am I supposed to notice? Give me a song and a time code and a specific description of what to listen for. Subjective is fine... But specificity can make subjectivity meaningful.

Tell me I'll never notice a difference with the 25ohm th900s and noble iems, I'll be happy . Tell me I'm a fool to exclude the e12 with the 770s, I'll believe you. But explain specifically what I'm missing because I want to hear it. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #3,693 of 3,739
Do any of you use the e12 with the fiio x5 dap? I have both. I don't notice a need with th900-30ohm or even dt770-250s. I thought the point of the x5 is that it has an amp already like a e12 more or less built in. (Unlike common players like clipzip.)

Why then, does fiio have a "kit" product that includes both items?

E12 features an analog bass boost & crossfeed switches.
E12A features a more subdued but present sub-bass boost.

If I owned an X5 solely I'm either unable to use crossfeed or need to use digital eq or none at all because eq is disabled for files above 48kHz in sample rate.

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #3,694 of 3,739
A headphone that is high impedance and not sensitive will require a higher Vp-p which the E12 can deliver better than the X5. The E12 and E12A are no longer listed on their website, I was able to find the below link to get the below specs.
X5 : Vp-p = 8.2V
E12: Vp-p = 15V
E12a: Vp-p = 10.3

So the E12 is about 5.25 dBV higher than the X5. Whether this is important is up to how loud you listen, how much headroom you really need and how sensitive the headphone is.

http://m.fiio.net/en/products/33/comparisons

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3,695 of 3,739
Time to look at the A5 more carefully. Looks like the E12 and E12A may have been discontinued.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #3,699 of 3,739
  would you say an amp is neccesary? does it only make it louder? because I feel like they're currently loud enough

That depends entirely on the DAC with which it is paired. I have used it with FiiO X3 (original) and X5ii as source/DAC and found the E12 extended the bass (in a neutral way) and improved the sound stage. E12 is completely unnecessary with iFi iDAC. If you are just pairing it with a mobile phone then the E12 will may help some, but won't make up for deficiencies in the source and consumer-quality DAC.

Cheers... Brian

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #3,701 of 3,739
But only in terms of volume or the e12 geta the hd600 cloae to their true potential?

I have a e12 but i cant help to wonder what a cayin c5, oppo ha2, schiit fulla 2 (dont want to go further in price than yhe value of theae) might do to them...

I consider the E12 to be a decent portable amp. It will never complete with a desktop unit. I don't consider the HD600s to be portable and have only tested them with my portable sources and never use them together. The E12 really helped with driving Etymotic ER4s (100 Ohm) from X3. Having moved to X5ii with ER4SR (45 Ohm), I don't use E12 much any more. I have not tried the units you mention.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,702 of 3,739
But only in terms of volume or the e12 geta the hd600 cloae to their true potential?

I have a e12 but i cant help to wonder what a cayin c5, oppo ha2, schiit fulla 2 (dont want to go further in price than yhe value of theae) might do to them...

If you like to listen very loud then you might eek out a few more dB SPL with another amp. For the most part I find the E12 does an admirable job with the HD600 and I listen on the loud side. Im addition to driving my HD600's well, I find it drives HE500's and HR560's nicely and they are a bit power hungry at the lower impedance end. The E12 is very flexible and does very well compared to my desktop amps. IMO, listen more, worry less and have more fun.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3,703 of 3,739
  Crap, Another headphone jack malfunction (first was in E17, tried to fix it and broke it :D).
Not sure if its poor headphone jack in Fiio equipment or if I am too rough on the amp. 

Nevermind, its not the amp, its the neutrik 3.5 mm jack connector from forza audio works color cable.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,705 of 3,739
  Anybody know how the E12 works with the HE400S by any chance? Also, what portable dacs are folks using with the E12? Thanks for the input!

I use Cozoy Astrapi. It's probably the most compact and versatile DAC you can find. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back