FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,367 of 3,739
Quote:
Panda how do you like that Project H, would you recommend it for someone looking for something neutral as the O2?

Quote:
Project-H looks really neat, looks amazing, well done. 

Quote:
Nevermind I just read the thread on it :*( lol

Thank you all.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/652306/diy-custom-amplifier-and-dac-project-h

This is the thread on it.

No it is not for sale, it is custom and limited edition for only 10 people in the entire world. If it was for sale, I wouldn't post it in this thread, as it would be bias and bad. I was involved in project. But it is not for sale, and there is interest so I personally chose to post the link. As it is not for sale. Just to put that out there. 

It will be my main reference unit. I don't review things that are very expensive. Thus the O2 serves as a good reference amp for my reviewing. Many have it and it is reverred so its not a problem.

So yes, I would recommend it as the unit was very cheap but you can never buy it. Ours is also very modified in how the O2 works and parts that are on it or what aren't.

I am updating review info on other reviews, but I should be able to do some magic tonight with it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,368 of 3,739
Quote:

Thank you all.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/652306/diy-custom-amplifier-and-dac-project-h

This is the thread on it.

No it is not for sale, it is custom and limited edition for only 10 people in the entire world. If it was for sale, I wouldn't post it in this thread, as it would be bias and bad. I was involved in project. But it is not for sale, and there is interest so I personally chose to post the link. As it is not for sale. Just to put that out there. 

It will be my main reference unit. I don't review things that are very expensive. Thus the O2 serves as a good reference amp for my reviewing. Many have it and it is reverred so its not a problem.

So yes, I would recommend it as the unit was very cheap but you can never buy it. Ours is also very modified in how the O2 works and parts that are on it or what aren't.

I am updating review info on other reviews, but I should be able to do some magic tonight with it.

so jealous 
tongue.gif
 that's one nice amp

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,370 of 3,739
Quote:
I just want to say that O2 is not C5 bigger brother. O2 is developed by someone else, it is made and sold bu JDS lab. Their design philosophy might be different. 
C5 is developed by JDS labs lone. So strictly speaking C5 is on its own and therefore might sound quiet different than O2. 

Check your facts, and don't assume things without evidence and research. Here is some direct quotes from John, on the JDS Labs C5 blog:

Yes, C5 should be audibly indistinguishable from other neutral amplifiers such as O2.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,371 of 3,739
Quote:
Check your facts, and don't assume things without eveidence and research. Here is some direct quotes from John, on the JDS Labs C5 blog:

audionewbie I believe was saying that they are different amps and thus it will require more info, and actual listening to get down to who is the big brother of who.

His opinion was that it should sound different.

A manufactuerer's thoughts do hold weight but it should not be used as actual evidence for the performance of an amp. If we were to all do that, then Beats and Monster's new lines are thus the best headphones on the market and is in no way matchable by any others. 

And then that's where reviews come in.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,372 of 3,739
Quote:
Check your facts, and don't assume things without eveidence and research. Here is some direct quotes from John, on the JDS Labs C5 blog:

Not to derail the Fiio thread anymore and I do apologies but I did not assume anything, O2 is design by Nwavguy, C5 by JDS lab. Two indepedant product with complete different design. If it was design by the same designer we only than call it its little brother, for all I know the O2 designer might hate the C5 let alone consider it its little brother.

Only when a company decides to revise their unit or make a new amp based on some of their older product we can call it its brother, as it stands the two products are based on different designers and very independent. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,373 of 3,739
Quote:

audionewbie I believe was saying that they are different amps and thus it will require more info, and actual listening to get down to who is the big brother of who.

His opinion was that it should sound different.

A manufactuerer's thoughts do hold weight but it should not be used as actual evidence for the performance of an amp. If we were to all do that, then Beats and Monster's new lines are thus the best headphones on the market and is in no way matchable by any others. 

And then that's where reviews come in.

A review is no more creditable than a designers words.  As we all know sound is subjective, and heard different to the individual. Not everyone will think it is neutral, sure. But right now, when the C5 hasn't been heard by anyone, going by what information we have is all we can speculate upon. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,374 of 3,739
Quote:
A review is no more creditable than a designers words.  As we all know sound is subjective, and heard different to the individual. Not everyone will think it is neutral, sure. But right now, when the C5 hasn't been heard by anyone, going by what information we have is all we can speculate upon. 

True true. What one reviewer thinks will be different than the others in some regards. But one must be more wary of a manufactuerer or involved person. That is just how it works.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,375 of 3,739
Quote:
Not to derail the Fiip thread anymore and I do apologies I did not assume anything, O2 is design by Nwavguy, C5 by JDS lab. Two indepedant product with complete different design. If it was design by the same designer we only than call it its little brother, for all I know the O2 designer might hate the C5 let alone consider it its little brother.

Only when a company decides to revise their unit or made a new amp based on some of their older product we can call it its brother, as it stands the two products are based on different designers. 

I think you are misunderstanding what exactly I was trying to recommend. Both are made by JDS Labs, even though the technology might be different and the designers are not the same doesn't mean the amp won't sound similar, in fact the another quote from the C5 blog:

C5 began as an experiment, and even I was skeptical that we could outmatch c421′s THD+N with a digital potentiometer. Thus, we bought a dScope III and set no project deadline and no budget. We’d either continue shipping c421′s, or continue experimenting.
By January 2013, it was clear that C5 was electrically complete. We quietly put C5 PCB’s into production instead of another batch of c421′s. C5 had not only hit our THD+N goal, it had matched the O2!
The C5 proof of concept began as an Arduino Pro with messy wires coupled to a c421: DIY style.

Even though the project isn't in direct comparisson to the O2, the neutrality of the amp was definitely the reference when they were designing the C5.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,376 of 3,739
Quote:
I just got mine and I was hoping it would be more neutral like the O2 I just sold. Sigh, I may keep this as a portable.

I know this is off-topic, but as was previously discussed, the C5 might be an option worth looking into if you're interested in fairly transparent amp [I'm not saying it is, but it is an improvement over their now replaced C421 amplifier, which compared favourably next to an O2].

From JDS Lab's website:
Quote:
Return Policy
Pre-assembled amplifiers, DACs, and unused standalone parts may be returned for refund or exchange within 14 days of shipment delivery. All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Custom cases are non-refundable.

From extrapolated values, the C5 is around:
~86 mW @ 32 Ω

From manufacture measured values:
28.65 mW @ 600 Ω
74.24 mW @ 150 Ω

It doesn't supply nearly as much power as the E12, but it should more than enough to drive most headphones to a reasonable volume level.

The C5's started shipping on Friday, so stay tuned for impressions next week.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,378 of 3,739
Quote:
I know this is off-topic, but as was previously discussed, the C5 might be an option worth looking into if you're interested in fairly transparent amp [I'm not saying it is, but it is an improvement over their now replaced C421 amplifier, which compared favourably next to an O2].

From JDS Lab's website:
From extrapolated values, the C5 is around:
~86 mW @ 32 Ω

From manufacture measured values:
28.65 mW @ 600 Ω
74.24 mW @ 150 Ω

It doesn't supply nearly as much power as the E12, but it should more than enough to drive most headphones to a reasonable volume level.

The C5's started shipping on Friday, so stay tuned for impressions next week.

Thanks for that! I wish I knew how to read those power requirements and how to figure out if the headphones I have will be driven by an amp I'm looking at. 1000+ posts and I still don't know stuff like this geez

Users who are viewing this thread

Back