FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,352 of 3,739
The E12 is indeed a "fun" amp to listen to. Sure it's not the best sound quality amp around, but considering the price, it's still very good. Comparing it to the closest amp I have in price (although more expensive), the JDS Labs c421 (OPA2227) has better mids and smoother highs, with better soundstage performance. The E12 is more of a "in your face" emotional experience, while the c421 is more relaxed and laid back, where everything in the mids and higs sounds smoother and more detailed. Where the E12 wins hands down is the in bass department, especially with it's unique and awesome Bass Boost. Actually, I think FiiO mislabeled it, as it should be labeled as "Sub-bass boost"! I'm keeping my E12 mainly because of this feature, as the only other amp I've heard that can do similar sub-bass boost is the ZO2 (in the first steps of it's bass boost). All in all, the E12 is a great amp, with a very unique and different sound "flavour" compared to other amps I own or tried...

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,354 of 3,739
Quote:
I just got mine and I was hoping it would be more neutral like the O2 I just sold. Sigh, I may keep this as a portable.

Can you go more in depth on how it compares with O2. I love how fiio E12 looks, it will be a prefect with ipod touch 5G and DD socket 1 however what is worrying me is the sound. 

How neutral is it? Or how far away it is from neutrality. 

Cheers

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #1,355 of 3,739
Quote:
Can you go more in depth on how it compares with O2. I love how fiio E12 looks, it will be a prefect with ipod touch 5G and DD socket 1 however what is worrying me is the sound. 

How neutral is it? Or how far away it is from neutrality. 

Cheers

Compared to the O2? it's warm like jock strap on a hot summer day in Alabama. I mean there's no sense in even trying to compare it to the O2. Warm, colored, congested in terms of comparing it to the O2. IMO, this may be bias coming from the O2 but it's just too far from neutral for me. I just got it and I'll do some more testing but I think I'm going to go back to the O2/ODAC combo

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,360 of 3,739
Quote:
Sounds like the new C5 is calling your name. Suppposly very similar in sound to its big brother, the O2. If you are looking for a portable solution this should be top on your list.

Thank you very much that's what I'm looking for, a more portable O2
Quote:
Everyone's need of how 'neutral' something is is very different. Some won't mind as long as it doesn't become a bass cannon. Others want a fully portable O2. As for me, while on the go with my equipment, I am fine with the FiiO Andes and Mont Blanc. It's actually beneficial.

Panda its really weird because I love the Andes, I'm going to give it some more time and do some more testing. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,362 of 3,739
I just want to say that O2 is not C5 bigger brother. O2 is developed by someone else, it is made and sold bu JDS lab. Their design philosophy might be different. 
C5 is developed by JDS labs lone. So strictly speaking C5 is on its own and therefore might sound quiet different than O2. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #1,363 of 3,739
Quote:
Thank you very much that's what I'm looking for, a more portable O2
Panda its really weird because I love the Andes, I'm going to give it some more time and do some more testing. 

With my portable equipment, its 'sweeter, bassier, and warmer' sound is more beneficial to me as I jam out while on the go. At home, I want excellence with good tracks. On the go, I want to jam.

My ANDES is out on temporary borrow to a friend(he let me borrow E11, GR07, and L11 in return for review of E12) but I will get it back soon.

FiiO E12 with my new Custom unit. Inside is a Custom Microprocessor and volatile memory controlled custom Objective 2 amplifier and the flagship Cirrus Logic the CS4398. 

I'll add comparison soon of E12 and O2.

I'll use either the Heir Audio as the headphone control and the CS4398 will be the DAC control.

CS4398-->E12-->Heir Audio
CS4398-->O2-->Heir Audio

Is how I'll do it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,364 of 3,739
Quote:
With my portable equipment, its 'sweeter, bassier, and warmer' sound is more beneficial to me as I jam out while on the go. At home, I want excellence with good tracks. On the go, I want to jam.

My ANDES is out on temporary borrow to a friend(he let me borrow E11, GR07, and L11 in return for review of E12) but I will get it back soon.

FiiO E12 with my new Custom unit. Inside is a Custom Microprocessor and volatile memory controlled custom Objective 2 amplifier and the flagship Cirrus Logic the CS4398. 

I'll add comparison soon of E12 and O2.

I'll use either the Heir Audio as the headphone control and the CS4398 will be the DAC control.

CS4398-->E12-->Heir Audio
CS4398-->O2-->Heir Audio

Is how I'll do it.

Panda how do you like that Project H, would you recommend it for someone looking for something neutral as the O2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back