FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #676 of 3,739
*ding ding ding*

I think we have an audiophile winner here.

How about the effect on sound signature? Does it add a warm/bright tilt? Does it bring mids forward at all? Does it box in the sound stage compared to unamped? Or does it improve upon the soundstage? 

As for the volume pot being stiff, I like the sounds of that, micro adjustments will be easier. Has anyone tested the efficacy of LOD vs 3.5-3.5 interconnect? How's battery life; does the sound degrade after so long?

The L9 does not physically work well with it. The L11 might but only if you have a 1 inch interconnect cable which i dont

gavingfabl is there any pop noise when conecting your iem or when turning on or off the amp?
that's my main concern about amps!

Not a pop. Just a very very slow noise when its turned on. There is a physical noise but that is from the amp itself to the outside world and not through headphone

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #677 of 3,739
The L9 does not physically work well with it. The L11 might but only if you have a 1 inch interconnect cable which i dont
Not a pop. Just a very very slow noise when its turned on. There is a physical noise but that is from the amp itself to the outside world and not through headphone

I cant hear any pop. I hear nothing. There is a click when switching the amp on, but that is a mechanical sound. Very reassuring. If I plug my cans into my iPad mini I hear pops.

I must try my L9. Will let you know how I get on.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #679 of 3,739

we have installed a tiny relay inside the Mont Blanc, so the headphone will not connected to the amp output till the power on noise is disappear. the physical noise is the sound when the relay is connect. also the relay will disconnect when there are any DC output or over current output so it can protect your expensive headphone.

I don't remmember any other portable amps have such design but it is very common in speaker amplifier. also we put the same tiny relay in our X3.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #680 of 3,739
Quote:
we have installed a tiny relay inside the Mont Blanc, so the headphone will not connected to the amp output till the power on noise is disappear. the physical noise is the sound when the relay is connect. also the relay will disconnect when there are any DC output or over current output so it can protect your expensive headphone.

I don't remmember any other portable amps have such design but it is very common in speaker amplifier. also we put the same tiny relay in our X3.

Great!!! you really don't know how I hate POPs, you know must ciems and High Def Headphones are really expensive to have those pops when using a dap or amp!

Feiao for President!

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #681 of 3,739
Quote:

Sorry about that. I typed that when I was still in bed. I was remembering another amp. 

I was wondering what the physical noise is.

Would it have been possible to design it this way:

Mont Blanc Side
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
(  Volume)  --status--
(             )  --lights--     (input)             (headphone)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
FiiO side

or:

Mont Blanc Side
(Volume  )                      --status--
(             )   (input)           --lights--        (headphone)
FiiO side

Or

Mont Blanc Side
(Volume  )                                       --status--
(             )   (input)     (headphone)     --lights--       
FiiO side

I feel like the L9 doesn't go on very well, the L3 will leave a bit of wire hanging off and with the L11, you would still need a very small interconnect to go with it. 

If the input was more to the left (as we are looking at it with the FiiO sign on bottom and mont blanc on top) I think the L9 would be able to be ergonomically better while still leaving a hole for headphones.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #682 of 3,739
Thanks for replying! I guess this amp might be perfect for my headphones I just REALLY HATE POP sounds!

Popping "thump" = power. Me like. You should hear the thump when I power up the dual ZO/E11 combo. :D

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #683 of 3,739
Quote:
Popping "thump" = power. Me like. You should hear the thump when I power up the dual ZO/E11 combo.
biggrin.gif

You may like but it can cause problems for those with IEM's and especially CIEM's.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #685 of 3,739
Quote:
that's my concern, damage to my expensive ciems and even if they were cheap

feiao /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #687 of 3,739
I'm on 10 Gain with 4/10 volume. With the charger in, I get a small high pitched noise. It get's louder as you increase the volume. This noise is REALLY small. 

I have done some more testing and found that with some "active" inputs. The sound will get loud enough to be annoyingly heard while with others it retains the same volume.

iPod (no music playing) with LOD plugged into E12 while charging gives me same level of volume

Audio gd as DAC plugged into E12 (a movie is on pause) increases the buzzing and high pitched noise by quite a lot.

I will do more testing and see if this happens on lower gains and what specifically causes the higher sound with the different input methods.

E12 is slow charging for those that are wondering.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #688 of 3,739
bowei006 said:
.You may like but it can cause problems for those with IEM's and especially CIEM's.

What do you guys do then? Turn the amps on, then plug in the IEM's? I didn't realize the issue - learn something new every day.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #689 of 3,739
Quote:

What do you guys do then? Turn the amps on, then plug in the IEM's? I didn't realize the issue - learn something new every day.

If that is really a big problem for people with IEM's. That amp probably is gone the next day. Headphones and amps are neccessities, they are a luxury. You buy stuff you like that works well and if it doesn't work well, then you move on to a better one

But if you want to test IEM's with an amp that does that, yeah. You turn it on, lower the volume by a lot and then plug the IEM's in.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #690 of 3,739
Quote:

Just so we be clear: That is the correct way to use ANY amp. Always plug in the headphone after you turn the amp on, not before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back