FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #662 of 3,739
I don't either. I will only use IEM's that need a 0 gain with the E12 or any portable amp anyway. If I want to test big headphones. I sit down, and switch it to 10. 

Crossfeed...that is a different one. Sometimes, I may want to add some crossfeed. Getting a pen would be troublesome.
As reviewers, we need to nit pick 
tongue.gif

I always carry a Sanford uni-ball ONYX micro with me LOL. I only really used the E17 for bass boost on my iPhone 4 before I sold it. Cleaning up the audio from my PC a bit was not needed really as I was going to purchase a ASUS Xonar Essense. I like FiiO as a company and how they engage with this community. I will order the E12 later on to try it out. I think upping the bass a bit every now and then on more neutral phones is all I need, not to mention it looks sexy. Thanks for the effort u guys place in putting out reviews. Rock on :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #663 of 3,739
Quote:
I always carry a Sanford uni-ball ONYX micro with me LOL. I only really used the E17 for bass boost on my iPhone 4 before I sold it. Cleaning up the audio from my PC a bit was not needed really as I was going to purchase a ASUS Xonar Essense. I like FiiO as a company and how they engage with this community. I will order the E12 later on to try it out. I think upping the bass a bit every now and then on more neutral phones is all I need, not to mention it looks sexy. Thanks for the effort u guys place in putting out reviews guys. Rock on
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass upping on the E12 is very minute compared to what FiiO has done in the past. A lot more subtle and small and more refined than others. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #664 of 3,739
The bass upping on the E12 is very minute compared to what FiiO has done in the past. A lot more subtle and small and more refined than others. 

Sounds... Perfect. LOL

P.S. when did this site get a mobile version, forgot to ask. Typing and reading on my iPhone was unpleasant but is now much better. The page still reverts to the top at times when reading(frustrating) but still nice to see a mobile ver.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #666 of 3,739
half my time on here is on mobile hahah. It's been a few months. Since November at the earliest, maybe October. 

Anyways, my guess is the bass boost is geared towards more bass-lite phones where the extra bass might be needed, not necessarily for bassheads. And not a very large boost to get int the way of mids. I think it's a smart move for a flagship. Still wondering about the Crossfeed toggle being recessed and the logic there. 

This is sounding like a very nice flagship indeed and I'm sure will be a very popular product. I'm pretty excited to hear this for myself.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #667 of 3,739
half my time on here is on mobile hahah. It's been a few months. Since November at the earliest, maybe October. 

Anyways, my guess is the bass boost is geared towards more bass-lite phones where the extra bass might be needed, not necessarily for bassheads. And not a very large boost to get int the way of mids. I think it's a smart move for a flagship. Still wondering about the Crossfeed toggle being recessed and the logic there. 

This is sounding like a very nice flagship indeed and I'm sure will be a very popular product. I'm pretty excited to hear this for myself.

I was away from this site for a good chunk of time, thanks for the info. The bass boost u mention is exactly what I'm looking for. I want music as recorded 90% of the time with a bit of bass added every now and then. :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #668 of 3,739
Quote:
Sounds... Perfect. LOL

P.S. when did this site get a mobile version, forgot to ask. Typing and reading on my iPhone was unpleasant but is now much better. The page still reverts to the top at times when reading(frustrating) but still nice to see a mobile ver.

2 months ago I believe. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #670 of 3,739
Listening to it right now! It certainly does make the HD650's sound a lot better, much more engaging and with better bass and treble. I'm really glad I waited for the more powerful E12; it seems perfectly suited for these phones. Without the amp, my Zune plays the HD650's nice and loud at 25/30 on the volume bar. With the amp on high gain, it will play them at 15/30 (although a lower volume is more comfortable, especially for extended listening). As the other reviewers have noted, the build of the E12 is very nice, but the recessed buttons are slightly annoying (not a big deal). What really surprised me is how much I like the bass boost. I didn't think that I would use it, but I think I'll keep it on all the time. It actually doesn't seem to make any difference on the songs that don't have a lot of deep bass, but on the songs that have sub bass it compensates quite well for the HD650's low end rolloff without adding coloration. It really seems like this amp was made for the HD650's.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #671 of 3,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What really surprised me is how much I like the bass boost. I didn't think that I would use it, but I think I'll keep it on all the time. It actually doesn't seem to make any difference on the songs that don't have a lot of deep bass, but on the songs that have sub bass it compensates quite well for the HD650's low end rolloff without adding coloration. It really seems like this amp was made for the HD650's.

*ding ding ding*

I think we have an audiophile winner here.

How about the effect on sound signature? Does it add a warm/bright tilt? Does it bring mids forward at all? Does it box in the sound stage compared to unamped? Or does it improve upon the soundstage? 

As for the volume pot being stiff, I like the sounds of that, micro adjustments will be easier. Has anyone tested the efficacy of LOD vs 3.5-3.5 interconnect? How's battery life; does the sound degrade after so long?

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #672 of 3,739
Listening to it right now! It certainly does make the HD650's sound a lot better, much more engaging and with better bass and treble. I'm really glad I waited for the more powerful E12; it seems perfectly suited for these phones. Without the amp, my Zune plays the HD650's nice and loud at 25/30 on the volume bar. With the amp on high gain, it will play them at 15/30 (although a lower volume is more comfortable, especially for extended listening). As the other reviewers have noted, the build of the E12 is very nice, but the recessed buttons are slightly annoying (not a big deal). What really surprised me is how much I like the bass boost. I didn't think that I would use it, but I think I'll keep it on all the time. It actually doesn't seem to make any difference on the songs that don't have a lot of deep bass, but on the songs that have sub bass it compensates quite well for the HD650's low end rolloff without adding coloration. It really seems like this amp was made for the HD650's.

I think the E12 was made for Sennheiser. My HD568 react exactly the same as the HD650.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #674 of 3,739
gavingfabl is there any pop noise when conecting your iem or when turning on or off the amp?
that's my main concern about amps!

With my Sennheiser HD568 there is no pop noise when connecting with amp on and volume all the way down. With amp off there is no noise. And there is no noise switching on or off.

So in summary there is no noise :)

I have no IEM's around at moment to test.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #675 of 3,739
Quote:
With my Sennheiser HD568 there is no pop noise when connecting with amp on and volume all the way down. With amp off there is no noise. And there is no noise switching on or off.

So in summary there is no noise
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no IEM's around at moment to test.

Thanks for replying! I guess this amp might be perfect for my headphones I just REALLY HATE POP sounds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back