FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #632 of 3,739
Been listening now for over 5 hours. The E12 is mesmerising. I am rediscovering all my music. I am today going to take 20 different tracks and try to describe the experience. So pleased those that got yours like them too :wink:

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #633 of 3,739
Gavinfabi,
I indeed have been enjoying mine. I also have been listening to many songs with it, perhaps getting carried away... but as far as sounds, with my Q701, I've yet to notice much difference from my huge $200 Yamaha receiver. I'm not saying one is better than the other, they both have their purposes and features that are very different and aren't really competing products, but...

Not saying anything, just sayin' :wink:

Disclamer: Side by side tests haven't happened, and I'm not comfortable trying to find sonic differences and trying to explain them. In my world, high-quality solid state amps sound largely the same, it's the features and how you use a product that defines differences and need.

Sbtruitt,
I looked almost the whole way through this thread, from the beginning, to find this post for you. Hope it's worth it to you; the importance of output impedance theory may be just a myth for headphones without crossovers, like those found in speakers with multiple drivers.
The input impedance should higher than 10K, and the output impedance is less than 0.5 ohms. the final output power is >850mW at 32ohms.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #634 of 3,739
Gavinfabi,
I indeed have been enjoying mine. I also have been listening to many songs with it, perhaps getting carried away... but as far as sounds, with my Q701, I've yet to notice much difference from my huge $200 Yamaha receiver. I'm not saying one is better than the other, they both have their purposes and features that are very different and aren't really competing products, but...

Not saying anything, just sayin' :wink:

Disclamer: Side by side tests haven't happened, and I'm not comfortable trying to find sonic differences and trying to explain them. In my world, high-quality solid state amps sound largely the same, it's the features and how you use a product that defines differences and need.

Sbtruitt,
I looked almost the whole way through this thread, from the beginning, to find this post for you. Hope it's worth it to you; the importance of output impedance theory may be just a myth for headphones without crossovers, like those found in speakers with multiple drivers.

That's good to hear. I agree need more comparisons with other devices. Maybe the E12 sound signature works better with my Sennheiser HD568 than anything else so far. Not tried other headphones other than Bose AE2i, but you can't call those cans :)

If you had a Samsung S3 or Note , I am right in saying you would have to use the headphone out?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #635 of 3,739
Gavinfabi,
What I mean to say, most amps of high quality that aim NOT to color the sound will likely sound about the same. I think it's best for people interested in their first or second amp to manage their expectation that three "neutral" measured amps might only have a smidgen of a sonic difference, while different headphones have quite different "flavors" to their sonic signature. I mean to test this theory by swapping between different Solid State amps, but from memory there's just not much to contrast between their frequency response. Now, amps that DO color the sound are a whole 'nother matter, like a tube amp or a SS amp with a bass-boost (or crossfeed) effect.

Do you get the feeling of what I'm trying to say?

As far as those Samsung smartphones you mention, I really don't know if they make line-out adapters for them (to bypass the phone's amplification and headphone jack). Maybe. What I generally do if I'm double-amping, as you will be if you plug the FiiO into the smartphone's headphone jack, is put the smartphone's volume at a little bit lower from 100%, so that you get the best signal-to-noise ratio (S:N or SNR, more commonly) while backing the volume down just enough to avoid any clipping. Then, control your listening volume with the Mont Blanc. If that's still too loud at the Mont Blanc's quietest setting, turn the Samsung down a bit more. Double-amping has worked fine for me, though it softens the smallest details just a tiny bit.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #636 of 3,739
Gavinfabi,
What I mean to say, most amps of high quality that aim NOT to color the sound will likely sound about the same. I think it's best for people interested in their first or second amp to manage their expectation that three "neutral" measured amps might only have a smidgen of a sonic difference, while different headphones have quite different "flavors" to their sonic signature. I mean to test this theory by swapping between different Solid State amps, but from memory there's just not much to contrast between their frequency response. Now, amps that DO color the sound are a whole 'nother matter, like a tube amp or a SS amp with a bass-boost (or crossfeed) effect.

As far as those Samsung smartphones you mention, I really don't know if they make line-out adapters for them (to bypass the phone's amplification and headphone jack). Maybe. What I generally do if I'm double-amping, as you will be if you plug the FiiO into the smartphone's headphone jack, is put the smartphone's volume at a little bit lower from 100%, so that you get the best signal-to-noise ratio (S:N or SNR, more commonly) while backing the volume down just enough to avoid any clipping. Then, control your listening volume with the Mont Blanc. If that's still too loud at the Mont Blanc's quietest setting, turn the Samsung down a bit more. Double-amping has worked fine for me, though it softens the smallest details just a tiny bit.

Yes I get what you are saying. I still find it surprising that the E12 sound is better for me than my tube amp, even on jazz.

I thought the same with the S3. I don't have one but my friend does, and I just wanted to make sure I told him the correct information.

I am using my iPod Classic via the line out.

My photos and first review on page 38,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/555

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #637 of 3,739
Hy guys,

I received my review sample of the E12 yesterday and I listened to it for few hours straight.
To tell you the truth, I'm blown away...
I cannot understand how such a slim and small device can have such a big and airy sound to it.
I'm feeling it even drives my HD800 and LCD-2 to it's full potential.
I LOVE the crossfeed feature with my very old jazz and rock recordings where extreme stereo sound was used. I also love the subtle but very good bass on/off feature. For example on E10 I didn't like how bass boost was implemented, as it changed also lower mids and the tonal balance was changed. I'm happy to tell that on E12 there isn't such a problem, bass boost is subtle and I like a lot with my HD800 and Ultimate Sound 3D CIEM.
Regarding THD (distorsion) i can clearly hear a lot lower of it than I do with E17, E12 sound is crystal clear and very spacious, even effortless I must say. Like amplifier disappears and just lets the music flow. In some ways I even prefer E12 to the bigger brother E09K.
That is a serious accomplishment, bravo FiiO, I like E12 a lot.
The build quality, the attention to detail is just stunning.
My full review will be posted next week, more to come.. :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #638 of 3,739
Hy guys,

I received my review sample of the E12 yesterday and I listened to it for few hours straight.
To tell you the truth, I'm blown away...
I cannot understand how such a slim and small device can have such a big and airy sound to it.
I'm feeling it even drives my HD800 and LCD-2 to it's full potential.
I LOVE the crossfeed feature with my very old jazz and rock recordings where extreme stereo sound was used. I also love the subtle but very good bass on/off feature. For example on E10 I didn't like how bass boost was implemented, as it changed also lower mids and the tonal balance was changed. I'm happy to tell that on E12 there isn't such a problem, bass boost is subtle and I like a lot with my HD800 and Ultimate Sound 3D CIEM.
Regarding THD (distorsion) i can clearly hear a lot lower of it than I do with E17, E12 sound is crystal clear and very spacious, even effortless I must say. Like amplifier disappears and just lets the music flow. In some ways I even prefer E12 to the bigger brother E09K.
That is a serious accomplishment, bravo FiiO, I like E12 a lot.
The build quality, the attention to detail is just stunning.
My full review will be posted next week, more to come.. :)

Happy days :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #639 of 3,739
Quote:
Gavinfabi,

You can change coupling or supply caps on the same amp, get the same measurement and a noticeable difference in sound. Sometimes you can notice a charge pump supply vs a standard +- type supply. It's up for debate but I think the point of this amp was to be better sounding since an E11 already drives about everything and measures great.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #640 of 3,739
I haven't tried the crossfeed on mine yet, but FWIR you gain from mixing some of the stereo mix is a more centralized sound image, sometimes adding to soundstage depth. With the mastering on some songs, though, it messes up the soundstage that the producer processed into the sound file itself, especially if they baked in a crossfeed effect into the song mix already. For example, I use a virtual surround processor with my Xbox, which is kind of like a more advanced version of crossfeed itself, and adding the additional crossfeed from the Mont Blanc would hurt the positional cue accuracy.

I think the Mont Blanc looks like a mini Monolith, from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Boweii,
We have the same headphones too, though. At first, I thought "Oh. This amp is so honest, I think this is what the AKG Q701s sound like." The bass was cold and tight like people commonly describe the Qs, and though hard impacts were felt hard, i felt like something was causing the emotion to be held back. Then, it changed after a few hours. I don't think the amp burned in, nor do I think just now I've hit the "magical" 100 hour mark on my headphones, BUT I am starting to think that sometimes our ears or headphone drivers "warm up." Or, there's something else going on entirely, it's just a theory, but I am having more "fun" now. I sincerely doubt the amp changed.

Here's how mine is plugged in. I have my elastic bands diagonal to make them a tighter fit:

Yes, I use the L11 with my iPod classic (which is a little shorter than an iPod Touch or iPhone). I think if the included, short cable was L angled on one end and | straight on the other, it would be perfect. The headphone cable is (most likely) straight anyway. I had this combo in my back pocket earlier (with my green, 9ft long cable wrapped around my waist like a belt!) with the double-L cable sticking out the side rather than wrapped around the headphone cable like you see in the pic, it worked OK but I dislodged the L11 dock when I moved a bunch.

Still wouldn't go outside with these headphones, even as cool as I think they look :wink:

I love the monolith pictures :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #641 of 3,739
Just received mine. Haven't really spent much time except for testing for functions but so far so good.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #642 of 3,739
I haven't tried the crossfeed on mine yet, but FWIR you gain from mixing some of the stereo mix is a more centralized sound image, sometimes adding to soundstage depth. With the mastering on some songs, though, it messes up the soundstage that the producer processed into the sound file itself, especially if they baked in a crossfeed effect into the song mix already. For example, I use a virtual surround processor with my Xbox, which is kind of like a more advanced version of crossfeed itself, and adding the additional crossfeed from the Mont Blanc would hurt the positional cue accuracy.

I think the Mont Blanc looks like a mini Monolith, from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Boweii,
We have the same headphones too, though. At first, I thought "Oh. This amp is so honest, I think this is what the AKG Q701s sound like." The bass was cold and tight like people commonly describe the Qs, and though hard impacts were felt hard, i felt like something was causing the emotion to be held back. Then, it changed after a few hours. I don't think the amp burned in, nor do I think just now I've hit the "magical" 100 hour mark on my headphones, BUT I am starting to think that sometimes our ears or headphone drivers "warm up." Or, there's something else going on entirely, it's just a theory, but I am having more "fun" now. I sincerely doubt the amp changed.

Here's how mine is plugged in. I have my elastic bands diagonal to make them a tighter fit:

Yes, I use the L11 with my iPod classic (which is a little shorter than an iPod Touch or iPhone). I think if the included, short cable was L angled on one end and | straight on the other, it would be perfect. The headphone cable is (most likely) straight anyway. I had this combo in my back pocket earlier (with my green, 9ft long cable wrapped around my waist like a belt!) with the double-L cable sticking out the side rather than wrapped around the headphone cable like you see in the pic, it worked OK but I dislodged the L11 dock when I moved a bunch.

Still wouldn't go outside with these headphones, even as cool as I think they look :wink:

Ill spend more time with it today

Yeah. Moving aroun is quite hard

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #643 of 3,739
For some unknown reason, I can't sleep tonight :wink: I woke up after only a few hours sleep.

Yes I get what you are saying. I still find it surprising that the E12 sound is better for me than my tube amp, even on jazz.

I thought the same with the S3. I don't have one but my friend does, and I just wanted to make sure I told him the correct information.

I am using my iPod Classic via the line out.

My photos and first review on page 38,
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620339/fiio-flagship-portable-amp-mont-blanc-e12-discussing-thread-the-pre-order-unit-arrives/555

Tube amps can be fussy sometimes. From a user's standpoint, it is easier to predict what result you'll get with a Solid State amp, though I still like to fuss with my tube amp :)

I did read your review, twice actually because you posted it in the reviews section and it still shows on the front page right now. A nice review, though I bet many people would like to hear a little more to hold them over during the wait for the general release. One or two notes about your experience with a song would probably feed the appetite for "more!" Lol :D

DarKu and Goodvibes,
I will freely admit that I'm just starting to learn about the effects of components that make up an amp. Like I said, I haven't been listening to my Mont Blanc side-by-side to other amps yet, I've been having too much fun with this one :) I've seen people use distortion to describe different flaws – since this amp has such a low THD, could you help me learn and describe the affect THD has on the sound?

I haven't heard the E11 myself, though I was intending to get one as an upgrade to my E5. That is, until the Mont Blanc came along. I still think the E11 is a capable amp and will continue to serve many people well, especially mid- and low-fi headphones and low budgets, but I feel like the Mont Blanc is ready for almost anything :)

ClieOS,
I look forward to your succinct yet detailed review break-down :) Amp makers are keeping you busy, aren't they! It's an exciting time.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #644 of 3,739
For some unknown reason, I can't sleep tonight :wink: I woke up after only a few hours sleep.
Tube amps can be fussy sometimes. From a user's standpoint, it is easier to predict what result you'll get with a Solid State amp, though I still like to fuss with my tube amp :)

I did read your review, twice actually because you posted it in the reviews section and it still shows on the front page right now. A nice review, though I bet many people would like to hear a little more to hold them over during the wait for the general release. One or two notes about your experience with a song would probably feed the appetite for "more!" Lol :D

DarKu and Goodvibes,
I will freely admit that I'm just starting to learn about the effects of components that make up an amp. Like I said, I haven't been listening to my Mont Blanc side-by-side to other amps yet, I've been having too much fun with this one :) I've seen people use distortion to describe different flaws – since this amp has such a low THD, could you help me learn and describe the affect THD has on the sound?

I haven't heard the E11 myself, though I was intending to get one as an upgrade to my E5. That is, until the Mont Blanc came along. I still think the E11 is a capable amp and will continue to serve many people well, especially mid- and low-fi headphones and low budgets, but I feel like the Mont Blanc is ready for almost anything :)

ClieOS,
I look forward to your succinct yet detailed review break-down :) Amp makers are keeping you busy, aren't they! It's an exciting time.

If you go to my blog, I've just added an update. Look on page 38 for link, then go to home page for it.

It definitely has got better after a few hours burn. I will add my blog update later into Head Gear section as well.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #645 of 3,739
Fiio has some magic with the volume pot. In my pocket on the go right now. It is very very hard to turn with one hand and a few fingers at a perpindiculur angle. However making the unit vertical to my hand allows for easy turning.

No idea what centripetal physics they used to make it like this but it is cool. Be it a coincidence or not. That the e12 wont turn volume so easily unless you turn it at the "right" way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back