FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Feb 27, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,576 of 2,501
I'm not very experienced with daps but i have to say that the M9 is by far one of the best things i've heard so far. Only can compare it to A&K SR15 dap wise where i find the M9 to be so much better. But in addition the M9 is ahead or even with most stationary dac/amp combos sub 1000$ i've tried so far

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,577 of 2,501
I'm not very experienced with daps but i have to say that the M9 is by far one of the best things i've heard so far. Only can compare it to A&K SR15 dap wise where i find the M9 to be so much better. But in addition the M9 is ahead or even with most stationary dac/amp combos sub 1000$ i've tried so far
Yup. I had Chord’s MOJO/POLY combo (sold it). The M9 is my daily carry because it does it all...Tx/Rx BT signal functionality to support wireless connectivity to & from the DAP, SD card for hi res files, white listed apps (Spotify, Tidal, Amazon Music, ROON) for streaming, WIFI for network capability, APTX, APTX HD, LDAC codec...SQ’s excellent. That’s a ton for such a diminutive device (fits in your front pocket if you so choose).

The only flaw I’ve found is the lip sync delay with video playback when it’s paired with my iphone. The engineers indicated they are seeking a possible solution.

The UI’s not as snappy as a current smartphone...but what DAP UI is? Even with that...I think it’s the most versatile DAP on the market at its price point & beyond.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,578 of 2,501
Hi guys -

Just picked up an M9 as le petit portable. Two quick questions:

Is there any way to stop the playing after an album is played through? Right now in the Once Through playback mode when an album finishes it automatically goes onto the next album.

2) Is there a way to rename the EQs? I love that there are so many changeable/saveable options but sometimes I forget which one is for which headphone.

Thanks in advance @FiiO

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,579 of 2,501
The UI’s not as snappy as a current smartphone...but what DAP UI is? Even with that...I think it’s the most versatile DAP on the market at its price point & beyond.

Indeed the slightly laggy UI is the only complaint-- and that is only because I'm use to my S9+, which is over 3x as much money. The sound quality and functionality is outstanding and can't think of anything better at its price point.

Is there any way to stop the playing after an album is played through? Right now in the Once Through playback mode when an album finishes it automatically goes onto the next album.
@FiiO

Not sure about album mode but I'm pretty sure (don't have mine with me to check) that if your're playing in folder mode (assuming each album is in a respective folder) you can set it to not play on to the next folder meaning after the album is done it will stop.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #1,580 of 2,501
Researching my first dap purchase and almost decided on the Fiio M9. It seems to fit all my needs with a reasonable price. I would use the M9 for Tidal streaming with my Sony WH1000 mk2 Bluetooth headphones. The question is how severe is the problem with wifi and bluetooth used together? Has it been corrected in firmware or is it still relevant? This is really important for me and if it can’t be done I have to look somewhere else, because I only stream and want to use Bluetooth headphones. Would really appreciate if current users could give me some info on this.

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,581 of 2,501
Researching my first dap purchase and almost decided on the Fiio M9. It seems to fit all my needs with a reasonable price. I would use the M9 for Tidal streaming with my Sony WH1000 mk2 Bluetooth headphones. The question is how severe is the problem with wifi and bluetooth used together? Has it been corrected in firmware or is it still relevant? This is really important for me and if it can’t be done I have to look somewhere else, because I only stream and want to use Bluetooth headphones. Would really appreciate if current users could give me some info on this.

If you're only streaming to bluetooth, I don't think you'll notice enough of a difference between using this or your phone...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,582 of 2,501

No, the issue is still there. It's not something that can be fixed either as it's down to the hardware. I'm using XM3s and there's a couple of solutions. You can either drop the LDAC quality down to focus on connection (which cures the problem but at a lower bit rate), or you can download the music to play offline. I mostly do the latter.

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,583 of 2,501
No, the issue is still there. It's not something that can be fixed either as it's down to the hardware. I'm using XM3s and there's a couple of solutions. You can either drop the LDAC quality down to focus on connection (which cures the problem but at a lower bit rate), or you can download the music to play offline. I mostly do the latter.
Ok. I understand. It’s kinda ironic that Fiio came out with a dap that has perfect bluetooth functionality but then it is handicapped this way. Well maybe I’ll have to consider the download option and getting my self a nice pair of iems.

Feb 27, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,586 of 2,501
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #1,587 of 2,501
Also checked the @FiiO website and it says about the M)
USB audio and coaxial out support
The M9 supports USB audio out (send digital audio bits through USB), with even support for DoP/D2P”

But really no luck. Will try tomorrrow with other DACs I have.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,588 of 2,501
Hi all, I am ordering FA1 earphones soon and M6 or M9 to accompany them. Would it be wise to add a little bit more and stretch for M9? I am not interested in streaming/wifi/bluetooth. Just pure hi-res music reproduction from microSD and battery life. Comparisons would be very appreciated who have heard or have in possession both as I am unable to test this gear where I live.

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,589 of 2,501
Hi all, I am ordering FA1 earphones soon and M6 or M9 to accompany them. Would it be wise to add a little bit more and stretch for M9? I am not interested in streaming/wifi/bluetooth. Just pure hi-res music reproduction from microSD and battery life. Comparisons would be very appreciated who have heard or have in possession both as I am unable to test this gear where I live.

I have both. For me the sound quality of the M9 is better. For convenience though the M6 is much smaller and has the headphone jack at the top, perfect for a shirt pocket. The M9 has a Spdif/Coax out which the M6 hasn't. The M9 has a balanced 2.5mm headphone jack out as well as the usual 3.5 mm and so will drive more difficult headphones. The M9 has both low and high gain so is generally more powerful. The M9 has a little more battery life, but not drastically so. I would suggest the M9 for sound but the form factor of the M6 is just right and unbelievable value for money. Both are well made. If you are a HiFi person the M9. If you like something that sits easily in the pocket the M6.

Steve

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #1,590 of 2,501
@FiiO

Blue Tooth Issue:

Using a pair of Sony WH1000-MX3 headphones in BT mode.
  1. Fiio M9 - Volume of the sound can be control by BOTH the M9 AND the headphones. This isn't a major issue. However, the REAL problem is even with the Fiio Volume set to 120. I sometimes have to turn the headphone volume up to nearly 95% to obtain a "loud" listening level. This seems wrong.
  2. iPhone 10R - Volume of the sound is "linked" between the phone and the headphones. However, when the volume is increased (on either device) it usually only needs to be set to about 60-70% to achieve a "loud" listening level. This seems more in line with what would be expected intuitively.
Certainly, I don't understand BT but the FiiO BT signal obviously has some embedded volume signal that it sends through BT because the volume of the headphones change when the volume on the M9 is changed. The M9 needs to have the scale of this signal shifted upwards. Currently, the scale is so low most burned 16bit 44.1 CDs it leaves very little headroom to increase the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back