FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #212 of 2,501
This from the excellent Audiophile World Oct 14: 'Also, I just recently purchased the new Fiio M9 portable digital audio player from B&H Photo Video. I also have the M7 and this latest model is five levels better than the Fiio X3-III. Featuring the latest design language, a touch screen interface using a modified version of the Android OS, this DAP and excellent internal components. My decision to purchase the M9 is because my desire to further promote the notion that we don't have to spend a small fortune to obtain 90% Fine Audio Listening performance.

Now most audiophiles are aware of the Assei Kansei Microdevices AKM4490EN DAC IC and the models that now feature a pair of the legendary DAC chips is the Fiio X5-III and now the M9. There is an advantage with the M9, which is the System-on-Chip. Samsung supplies both the M7 and M9 with a Samsung Exynos 7210 SoC, which in turn improves the processing performance and battery life of the DAP. I will review the M9 in due time and I have yet to finish my notes on the M7, which also launched this year during CamJam 2018.'
Five levels out of how many lol

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #213 of 2,501
Please, pretty please, don't be lazy and read the thread.

At the top of each page is a search this thread box. If you put your query in there - you'll get something like this:
https://www.head-fi.org/search/15810108/?q=3rd+party+apps&t=post&o=date&c[thread]=886226

And that will lead to this : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dac-usb-audio-out.886226/page-6#post-14440730

I still don't know if its fully answered - but then, no-one has the unit yet so I don't think anyone has tried.

See the answer by seanwee! That's the reason why I asking! FiiO's answer was a " la la" answer! And I don't need apps like spotify etc. but a better music player! Less RAM is not the answer... :wink:

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #214 of 2,501
two questions for you guys:

Is the line out a ‘true’ line out that bypasses the internal amp?

The output voltage of the line out is variable (according to a previous post). What is the range of the voltage?

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #215 of 2,501
I'm really new to DAPs but I've decided to get one for use on the commute. Can't decide between the M9 and the N5iiS. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #216 of 2,501
I'm really new to DAPs but I've decided to get one for use on the commute. Can't decide between the M9 and the N5iiS. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks!
If you want a warmer and softer sound get the M9, if you want a more neutral and detailed sound get the N5iiS.

The M9 has a slightly smoother and streamlined interface but both are very fast and responsive.

Feel and look wise the N5iiS feels and looks more premium and well built which is to be expected since it uses stainless steel.

Not sure about battery life of the M9 but the N5iiS gives 11 hours of use.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #220 of 2,501
Besides tonality. Would you rate the technical ability of resolution, Soundstage etc.higher on N5iis?
Most definitely. The N5ii was the most technical dap in its price range when it released and only recently did it have to share that title with the DX120.

Soundstage is about on par though with the N5iiS being slightly deeper.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #221 of 2,501
If you want a warmer and softer sound get the M9, if you want a more neutral and detailed sound get the N5iiS.

The M9 has a slightly smoother and streamlined interface but both are very fast and responsive.

Do you already have an M9?

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #223 of 2,501
Thanks - that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back