[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #706 of 3,610
No it is not. It is the way it should be and it should be for any other DAP: linear down to 20Hz. Period.

Do you have an m6? Because as i said, there are 3 seperate people who actually have one telling you what they are actually experiencing with their ears... We all say the say the same thing. 2 of us actually feel this player does not sound right for some electronic music.

This account may be new here but i have been into headphone audio for around 13+ years.

This dap is most definitely unusual compared to literally every other thing i have used to play music.

I know anyone who likes electronic music is going to be dissapointed with this player -IF they are expecting the same amount of bass as they are used to with everything else they have heard... Im just trying to warn those people before they buy it.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #707 of 3,610
I already have Samsung Galaxy S9+ pair with SONY WH-1000x M3 bluetooth headphone, i'm satisfied with this combination for everyday listening music.
Looking for another DAP for upgrade quality of my hi-res music experience, is it worth to replace S9+ with Fiio M6 to pair with my 1000x M3 with the same codec support ( both device support apt-X or LDAC bluetooth codec ) ??? Only for Bluetooth connection not cable
Thx....

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #708 of 3,610
I already have Samsung Galaxy S9+ pair with SONY WH-1000x M3 bluetooth headphone, i'm satisfied with this combination for everyday listening music.
Looking for another DAP for upgrade quality of my hi-res music experience, is it worth to replace S9+ with Fiio M6 to pair with my 1000x M3 with the same codec support ( both device support apt-X or LDAC bluetooth codec ) ??? Only for Bluetooth connection not cable
Thx....

To be honest, I don't think the M6 would be a real upgrade for situation. When listening to bluetooth enabled headphones, the last D/A conversion will be in happening in the headphones themselves, as will be the final amplification and the sound
would not benefit from the M6's quality.

In your case, the M6 would merely be the storage /source of music and bluetooth transmitter which the Galaxy S9+ will do equally well. In both cases you're limited by the DAC / Bluetooth codecs of the headphones themselves.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #709 of 3,610
Thx....

I have the FiiO M6 on order but I do have the FiiO M9 and have listened to it for a few months. I also have the Samsung S9 plus and the M9 is a valid upgrade. The sound is fuller and with more impact. Bass is in a different league with the M9. Hopefully in a week or so I will directly compare the S9 plus with the M6. The S9 plus is good but just cannot produce the definition and bass of the M9. Because the S9 plus does not have APTX-HD it is a bit compromised from a HiFi point of view.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #710 of 3,610
@FiiO
So the m6 volume control works on Tidal with USB into my Mojo!
i.e. When playing SD files using Fiio Music, the volume can be at 0 and it correctly sends digital PCM to the Mojo (USB-C to m-USB).
But when I use the Tidal app and turn the volume to 0, no sound!
I need to get a pure digital signal out of my m6 for using Tidal HiFi MQA!!

Also, can you please remove ‘A’ and ‘The’ from the Album search algorithm. It’s really annoying having these bunched together.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #711 of 3,610
Do you have an m6? Because as i said, there are 3 seperate people who actually have one telling you what they are actually experiencing with their ears... We all say the say the same thing. 2 of us actually feel this player does not sound right for some electronic music.

Ok, if you want to make a count: How many people have posted in this thread and how many have reported any issues with bass quantity? I am pretty sure it is more than three.

This account may be new here but i have been into headphone audio for around 13+ years.

For what it is worth. I have been into all sorts of audio gear for 35 years and I am into headphones more intensively for about 2 years.
What does this help with the personal perception of audio gear? Not much. That is why I am referring to the measurements.

This dap is most definitely unusual compared to literally every other thing i have used to play music.

I know anyone who likes electronic music is going to be dissapointed with this player -IF they are expecting the same amount of bass as they are used to with everything else they have heard... Im just trying to warn those people before they buy it.

And I say "do not judge the M6 based on the opinion of some "bassheads", look at the facts (measurements).

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #712 of 3,610
Can someone explain how the M6 supports reading/importing of external m3u/m3u8 playlists? ie where do you put the files on the card, do the file path uses direct/relative path, Linux/Window style slashes etc

I'm looking to use the M6 with my KSE1200 - the features looks perfect for it (good physical size, 3.5mm line out mode that is low noise, flat and clean, smartphone app control over BT), the general UI from what I gathered from the M7/M9 looks solid so my only remaining concern is m3u playlists support. I had a Hiby R3 which ticks similar boxes but the poor m3u support completely killed it for me to the point where I sold it off. If someone can tell me how to get m3u to work I'm going to prep a SD card and go demo it at the store once it is available.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #714 of 3,610
Ok, if you want to make a count: How many people have posted in this thread and how many have reported any issues with bass quantity? I am pretty sure it is more than three.

For what it is worth. I have been into all sorts of audio gear for 35 years and I am into headphones more intensively for about 2 years.
What does this help with the personal perception of audio gear? Not much. That is why I am referring to the measurements.

And I say "do not judge the M6 based on the opinion of some "bassheads", look at the facts (measurements).

Agree totally, if you only listen to electronic music then by all means get something else. But since I am not limited to listening to one genre of music then give me an accurate sounding DAP so it sounds good across multiple genres. If you want more bass for certain genres then buy bass heavy headphones. For the record my Shanling M0 is also very neutral and not at all bass heavy and sounds quite good with all my music genres. So there are definitely other DAP's without over emphasized bass, sorry I mean "sub-bass". So 3 people you say aren't happy with the bass, so about 1 to 2% of the people in this thread. Alert Fiio and have them destroy all the M6's in production, this is a travesty. :gs1000smile:

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #715 of 3,610
Still it's very disrespectful to talk in such a patronizing way about people, who actually own an M6 and have actual experience with the device, come here and share those experiences which seem to differ from expectancies based on advertised capabilities.

I would be very much looking forward to hear your personal experiences of the M6 after actually listening to it, and comparing it to any devices of the same class that you undoubtedly have used in your many years of hifi audio gear experience.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #716 of 3,610
My opinion is not based on advertised capabilities. I referenced independent measurements. Personally I value measurements way above subject listening reports as our ears can be tricked very easy into all sorts of things. But this is off topic here and I have made my point.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #718 of 3,610

I have the M6. I also have the M9, an X7ii, an X5iii - in fact I have about 15-20 DAPs here, and I have experience with many DACs, and amplifiers - both portable and desktop. I also have a measurement rig - which while not state of the art - is fit for purpose.

I'll measure the M6 when I post my review - but I can assure you it measures flat. FiiO's measurements are trustworthy too, and I'd suggest looking at their measurements under load - paying particular attention to the bass (https://www.fiio.com/m6_parameters)
Its flat from 20Hz to 20 kHz - the slight drop at both ends is beyond audibility (less than 0.5 dB)

So how about on my system? Real world? Here's the RE2000 IEM from HifiMan. Measured on the M6, the M9, the X5iii, and the E17K. I could have measured more but I was getting bored. The high end differs a little due to the different DAC filters + the veritas system I use isn't reliable beyond 10 kHz. But we're concentrating on the bass. After volume matching - they all match.

Have you heard anyone saying the M9 or X5iii are bass-light? Of course not - because they aren't. The green line is the one to watch - it the E17K. Its one of the most linear devices I;ve ever measured. Its essentially razor flat from 20-20. Look at the bass - there is no difference after volume matching.

re2000 m6.png

Now what about hearing (real world). I used Lorde's Royals (very good sub and mid-bass representation). Before I started, I volume matched each device to within 0.2 dB using a calibrated meter. I then had each device playing un-paused so I could switch from one to another. None of the devices (including the M6) sounded lacking in bass.

Either your device is faulty, or you have an EQ setting engaged, or you and the other few have convinced yourselves that there is a deficiency (so your brain is making you think you are hearing one - psycho-acoustics is quiet an interesting study). I checked the headphones you said you were using and the HD25 is not particularly hard to drive.

Whatever it is - unless the M6 has a fault (can happen) then its more likely to be expectation bias. The M6 handles bass quite well - as long as the headphone is within its driving target range. Most DAPs do :) I am yet to find one which is not measurably flat (apart from the actual DAC filters - affecting the high end only)

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #719 of 3,610
I have the M6. I also have the M9, an X7ii, an X5iii - in fact I have about 15-20 DAPs here, and I have experience with many DACs, and amplifiers - both portable and desktop. I also have a measurement rig - which while not state of the art - is fit for purpose.

I'll measure the M6 when I post my review - but I can assure you it measures flat. FiiO's measurements are trustworthy too, and I'd suggest looking at their measurements under load - paying particular attention to the bass (https://www.fiio.com/m6_parameters)
Its flat from 20Hz to 20 kHz - the slight drop at both ends is beyond audibility (less than 0.5 dB)

So how about on my system? Real world? Here's the RE2000 IEM from HifiMan. Measured on the M6, the M9, the X5iii, and the E17K. I could have measured more but I was getting bored. The high end differs a little due to the different DAC filters + the veritas system I use isn't reliable beyond 10 kHz. But we're concentrating on the bass. After volume matching - they all match.

Have you heard anyone saying the M9 or X5iii are bass-light? Of course not - because they aren't. The green line is the one to watch - it the E17K. Its one of the most linear devices I;ve ever measured. Its essentially razor flat from 20-20. Look at the bass - there is no difference after volume matching.

Now what about hearing (real world). I used Lorde's Royals (very good sub and mid-bass representation). Before I started, I volume matched each device to within 0.2 dB using a calibrated meter. I then had each device playing un-paused so I could switch from one to another. None of the devices (including the M6) sounded lacking in bass.

Either your device is faulty, or you have an EQ setting engaged, or you and the other few have convinced yourselves that there is a deficiency (so your brain is making you think you are hearing one - psycho-acoustics is quiet an interesting study). I checked the headphones you said you were using and the HD25 is not particularly hard to drive.

Whatever it is - unless the M6 has a fault (can happen) then its more likely to be expectation bias. The M6 handles bass quite well - as long as the headphone is within its driving target range. Most DAPs do :) I am yet to find one which is not measurably flat (apart from the actual DAC filters - affecting the high end only)
That is pretty amazing! I hope someone would make an interactive graph where you can enable disable the different measurements for specific daps/dacs/amps so that minute differences can be seen.

Not sure if I'm understanding the graph correctly though, but starting from 2k they all seem to have major differences in the treble area. Since you mentioned the E17k as being the 'flattest' does that mean that all the others temper the mids-highs?

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #720 of 3,610
That is either the DAC filters at work, or its my measurement system - it always struggles measuring DACs. I suspect its the roll-off from the filters though.

If I measure just the amp sections with RMAA - all devices pretty much measure flat.

The thing to concentrate on is the bass though. There is no deviation. The X5iii (pink) has always been described as quite warm - and that could be due to some high end roll-off due to the DAC filters. Even though i know the E17K is essentially dead flat - it always seems slightly bright to me. Perhaps because it is so flat.

The M9 and M7 are practically identical in terms of frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back