[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Jun 8, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2,402 of 3,610
Hi, I'm thinking about acquiring a dap for my F9 pro and this fiio m6 was recommended to me a lot, I have doubts if it's worth or not worth buying because I do not see that they are very happy with it. I read complaints that are slow and that they do not update as they promise, is that true? How slow is the software?

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #2,403 of 3,610
The software is fine. Responsiveness is good. Startup from cold is about 30 seconds. Startup from sleep is instantaneous : if you plan on using it daily, then leaving it in 'sleep' makes sense. It only loses a few percent a day.

There is talk of a major update (which keeps getting pushed back month after month), but the things it ought to improve don't affect me. So i'm a happy camper. Find out if you would be affected.

I did strike an odd bug that i've seen others have : It claims to be updating to v1.02 and then you find you've only got v1.01. There is only a v1.01.

Speedwise, its great. It even indexes quicker than other Fiio devices i've owned (11,000 songs in a couple of minutes).

Only one answer to a question you didn't ask : good battery life with low impedance headphones (like the F9 pro).

Last thought : the people who are having no trouble, or are even delighted with the M6 are not on here spending the time telling the community. And yes, i've seen people with seriously annoying (and fixable) bugs. They just haven't affected me.

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #2,404 of 3,610
Hi, I'm thinking about acquiring a dap for my F9 pro and this fiio m6 was recommended to me a lot, I have doubts if it's worth or not worth buying because I do not see that they are very happy with it. I read complaints that are slow and that they do not update as they promise, is that true? How slow is the software?

Boot time of my M6 stopwatched at 37 seconds. I mainly use Spotify with either IEMs or to a Bluetooth Aptx Hd receiver connected to my HiFi. Also use it with the Fiio BTR3 LDAC receiver with IEMs or with the BTR3 connected to my HiFi through the headphones out. All of this works well. The M6 is not instantaneous but not too slow, but don't expect smartphone response a little patience is needed. It sounds great whichever way you use it. If you want to use the M6 to play local files wirelessly to a HiFi using WiFi rather than Bluetooth you will have to be creative. It's possible but the M6 cannot cast directly because of the lack of white listed software. All in all the M6 works well in most regards. For me the FiiO music app leaves a bit to be desired. Would I recommend the M6. Definite yes.

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,405 of 3,610
The software is fine. Responsiveness is good. Startup from cold is about 30 seconds. Startup from sleep is instantaneous : if you plan on using it daily, then leaving it in 'sleep' makes sense. It only loses a few percent a day.

There is talk of a major update (which keeps getting pushed back month after month), but the things it ought to improve don't affect me. So i'm a happy camper. Find out if you would be affected.

I did strike an odd bug that i've seen others have : It claims to be updating to v1.02 and then you find you've only got v1.01. There is only a v1.01.

Speedwise, its great. It even indexes quicker than other Fiio devices i've owned (11,000 songs in a couple of minutes).

Only one answer to a question you didn't ask : good battery life with low impedance headphones (like the F9 pro).

Last thought : the people who are having no trouble, or are even delighted with the M6 are not on here spending the time telling the community. And yes, i've seen people with seriously annoying (and fixable) bugs. They just haven't affected me.
Hello, thank you both for your answers. I have the music downloaded to FLAC so I would not use streaming (although it is possible that I will in the future). What I want most is a lot of drums, good software and good sound. Then the device works fine but could improve with future updates even more. Seeing more devices I found the m7, so I see is equal to the m6 with more battery and bigger, is that right? Is m7 worth more than m6 or would it be two devices to choose from in size?

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,406 of 3,610
I had the M7 and did not like the sound at all. Sent it back got M6 which sounds much better to me.

Jun 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #2,407 of 3,610

Great assessment. The last paragraph specially; I always think about that with reviews. Forums and such see people with problems, those happy don't post that much.

But yeah there's always issues or disagreements. Not every player is for everyone. Count me very happy. For this price, it's a steal for me, features wise. Performance is good! Maybe Spotify is slow BUT it is slow everywhere (God, guys, improve that app). Tidal is more snappy.
And having Wifi (and BT) made all the difference for me. I mostly use it at home connected to my home amp, mind you but it's great in the road, as many have indicated: quite the perfect form factor/size.

To name one, the M11 seems like the device you'd go to when you want full speed and every apk you can think of. But it's too much for me: bigger, and 3 times more expensive. Certainly FiiO is offering an alternative of course (several indeed). Which is great, if I could I'd have them all :)

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #2,408 of 3,610
Great assessment. The last paragraph specially; I always think about that with reviews. Forums and such see people with problems, those happy don't post that much.

But yeah there's always issues or disagreements. Not every player is for everyone. Count me very happy. For this price, it's a steal for me, features wise. Performance is good! Maybe Spotify is slow BUT it is slow everywhere (God, guys, improve that app). Tidal is more snappy.
And having Wifi (and BT) made all the difference for me. I mostly use it at home connected to my home amp, mind you but it's great in the road, as many have indicated: quite the perfect form factor/size.

To name one, the M11 seems like the device you'd go to when you want full speed and every apk you can think of. But it's too much for me: bigger, and 3 times more expensive. Certainly FiiO is offering an alternative of course (several indeed). Which is great, if I could I'd have them all :)
Exactly that thought, to me that I like smartphones one says that a certain phone does not work or is not recommended for some features that some do not care or being too fussy.
For example the iPhones, they are good but many people think and say that they are bad for the simple fact that the Operating System is quite closed and because in terms of audio quality they are garbage.

I wish, I could buy the Fiio M11 but I can not afford it and I do not have headphones of crazy value to get all the juice out of it.

Jun 10, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #2,409 of 3,610
Exactly that thought, to me that I like smartphones one says that a certain phone does not work or is not recommended for some features that some do not care or being too fussy.
For example the iPhones, they are good but many people think and say that they are bad for the simple fact that the Operating System is quite closed and because in terms of audio quality they are garbage.

I wish, I could buy the Fiio M11 but I can not afford it and I do not have headphones of crazy value to get all the juice out of it.

I have the Samsung S9 plus. It's audio is not bad. BUT it is too bloody big. So the M11 would be too big for me. I downsized to the FiiO M6 and I am really happy I did. In terms of ergonomics, function and cost it is perfect. I can live with it's drawbacks. The sound is great, it has quality codecs, and enough power for all my considerable headphone collection. It streams Spotify et al., and it controls my HiFi .....AND importantly it sits in my shirt pocket out in the Sun. Sooner or later FiiO or some other company will have to realise that the M6 is the perfect size and ergonomic format and just upgrade the processor and RAM. Then the world will be perfect.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,410 of 3,610
Sorry for the noob question here, but I just got my M6 and I am trying to figure out how to connect it to my Modi 1 which has a USB micro input. Any advice would be appreciated it.

Jun 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #2,412 of 3,610
Sorry for the noob question here, but I just got my M6 and I am trying to figure out how to connect it to my Modi 1 which has a USB micro input. Any advice would be appreciated it.
A USB C to Micro USB cable should work for you. I just tried my M6 to my DAC via USB using this type of cable and it works perfectly. HERE is a nice one from Amazon.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #2,413 of 3,610
A USB C to Micro USB cable should work for you.

Thank you although I seem to have discovered another problem that the M6 isn't compatible with a Modi 3. I did get music to play connecting C to micro but the volume sliders were still working on the Fiio. I assume this means I am not getting a true digital out? My iPhone connect and the volume does not change. Any ideas before I return it for a V30 or something that can work with the Modi?

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2,414 of 3,610
Thank you although I seem to have discovered another problem that the M6 isn't compatible with a Modi 3. I did get music to play connecting C to micro but the volume sliders were still working on the Fiio. I assume this means I am not getting a true digital out? My iPhone connect and the volume does not change. Any ideas before I return it for a V30 or something that can work with the Modi?

I believe that is normal for the M6. If it wasn't pure digital, you would hear nothing. I will try it with mine and see if my volume control works.

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,415 of 3,610
I believe that is normal for the M6. If it wasn't pure digital, you would hear nothing. I will try it with mine and see if my volume control works.
I see. It's weird because on my iPhone over lighting with CCK the volume is fixed at all times. I noticed the volume at max was lower than the iPhone as well which made me think something wasn't right with this setup. A few posts suggest it only works as a pure USB-DAC when connected to a computer with proper drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back