[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #2,237 of 3,610
hello

Any should be fine, really. It all depends on usage, but I think 64GB should be the minimum.

To be safe, and if you have the budget for it, go for those high speed ones from Sandisk or Samsung.

Actually having used a Sandisk Ulta 128 GB and a Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB if you don't mind spending a little more get the Samsung. I find it alleviates alot of the minor issues with the M6/M7. For me it scans my new tracks faster than the Sandisk and it seems to scan it on first try. With the Sandisk it usually took 3 attempts to get it to scan new tracks. I am also not experiencing microgaps gaps and cut ins from track to track with the Samsung as I did with the Sandisk. When in doubt go for the fastest card you can afford, speed is always a plus.

as much as I want to agree with this, it is arguable because a relatively modern class 10 microsd card SHOULD suffice for stable use. otherwise there should be an official statement from fiio advising which cards to get or which cards might be problematic to use with, because it could potentially ruin the entire experience.

So this should be a good start?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XFX9N84/

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,238 of 3,610
I don't know about the UK but Amazon here (US) has had a major problem lately with fake Sandisk and Samsung cards, many customers have checked the card speeds and found out they were fakes.

And the fake cards exhibit symptoms such as slower times and gaps and small stutters because of the slow speeds. It was so bad I bought my last card from Best buy, and actually it was almost as cheap, just a FYI.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #2,239 of 3,610
Fiio Facebook Community Manager told me that I could safely enjoy my M6, so I guess the reseller did had a mishap.
Discovering the device right now, it's pretty great. Spotify app runs great, but Deezer is laggy as hell. Some UI elements of the device aren't user-friendly, but pretty satisfied right now.
A few things that I don't like though :
- Can't skip/get back songs without using the device, there is no physical button to do so, and unless I'm mistaken the play button doesn't do it by pressing twice.
- Is there really no way to act as an Airplay emitter? Pretty disappointed in this.
- Battery seems to run dry pretty quickly with wifi activated.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,240 of 3,610
Yep, I have the V30, and its sound quality and versatility make it my absolute go to choice for music. Look at the plus points:

Sound is on par with my X7ii to my ears
It can drive comfortably my 600ohm T1's - magic!
It locks on and holds 990kbs LDAC (which my Note 8 is hopeless at) - means it's a super pairing with the BTR3
I can use Cloudplayer perfectly with it to access my dropbox with all my flac albums uploaded; and download for offline use with UAPP or other advanced player for best sound.
Screen is much better than any DAP
It's light
Its a phone
It's now cheap (ive seen it at 350chf)

The M0 (or M5 when it comes) + M6 + V30 really are all one would need for all iterations of portable music; total budget perhaps 600 usd + cards? Fab.

For those that seek minutae of sound differences, then of course the sky's the limit as regards daps and dacs, but for sensible normal good quality daily use these gadgets are brill.

Awesome comment, yeah I think it's really a great strategy. V30, I hope I get it someday :) Now the X line? (I think it's X4?) seems to come with a great DAC too.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,241 of 3,610
I don't know about the UK but Amazon here (US) has had a major problem lately with fake Sandisk and Samsung cards, many customers have checked the card speeds and found out they were fakes.

And the fake cards exhibit symptoms such as slower times and gaps and small stutters because of the slow speeds. It was so bad I bought my last card from Best buy, and actually it was almost as cheap, just a FYI.

Yeah that's a real concern and a good tip. Kingston for example I guess has more fakes than authentic ones :D

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,242 of 3,610
Fiio Facebook Community Manager told me that I could safely enjoy my M6, so I guess the reseller did had a mishap.
Discovering the device right now, it's pretty great. Spotify app runs great, but Deezer is laggy as hell. Some UI elements of the device aren't user-friendly, but pretty satisfied right now.
A few things that I don't like though :
- Can't skip/get back songs without using the device, there is no physical button to do so, and unless I'm mistaken the play button doesn't do it by pressing twice.
- Is there really no way to act as an Airplay emitter? Pretty disappointed in this.
- Battery seems to run dry pretty quickly with wifi activated.

Didn't test Deezer but yeah Spotify works fine (heck, Spotify is quite slow anywhere - hope they put some more effort on the Spotify Lite app..). And Tidal perhaps even better.
If I understood correctly, for the next/prev song controls you might use the volume up/down holding it down (down goes forward, and up goes back: yes I know, odd :D )

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #2,243 of 3,610
About the cards, I'd love a 128GB though couldn't afford it yet, but at the same time I'm a little .. concerned about it.
So much info in a single card (put eggs in different baskets? lol) and obviously with more data you need more performance to scan through it.

So, what I mean, is if you go for something bigger than 64gb it makes sense that it's a faster one.

Me, I would be amazed to have so many records at my disposal offline, but I'm still a Spotify avid user so..

EDIT: I hadn't seen the prices! 128gb for about 20 u$s is quite good!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,244 of 3,610
Didn't test Deezer but yeah Spotify works fine (heck, Spotify is quite slow anywhere - hope they put some more effort on the Spotify Lite app..). And Tidal perhaps even better.
If I understood correctly, for the next/prev song controls you might use the volume up/down holding it down (down goes forward, and up goes back: yes I know, odd :D )
Thanks, will check the skip commands. Pretty weird, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any way, so that's great.
It's good to also finally have some decent BT Codecs to pair with a BT Headphone.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,245 of 3,610
About the cards, I'd love a 128GB though couldn't afford it yet, but at the same time I'm a little .. concerned about it.
So much info in a single card (put eggs in different baskets? lol) and obviously with more data you need more performance to scan through it.

So, what I mean, is if you go for something bigger than 64gb it makes sense that it's a faster one.

Me, I would be amazed to have so many records at my disposal offline, but I'm still a Spotify avid user so..

EDIT: I hadn't seen the prices! 128gb for about 20 u$s is quite good!
You're missing out, bro. 128GB, and even 256GB microSDXC cards are consistently dropping prices right now. You could even buy a 80MB/s Sandisk 128GB for around 15 USD right now, and around 20 USD for the 100MB/s ones.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #2,246 of 3,610
You're missing out, bro. 128GB, and even 256GB microSDXC cards are consistently dropping prices right now. You could even buy a 80MB/s Sandisk 128GB for around 15 USD right now, and around 20 USD for the 100MB/s ones.

Yeah defintely I'll put this on my wish list :) Thing is, down here every dollar is pretty expensive, rate is going sky high day by day. And I bought me some cans, so no more goodies for a while lol. Darn inflation :D

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #2,247 of 3,610
Hi all,

regarding to "glitch" problem at the start of the song I also experienced the same issue. I have a 128 GB Kingston - Class U3 UHS-I V30 A1 which is quite fast and on PC I can achieve a declared speeds (not on M6 of course).
On fio forum I saw a thread about format type of card and tried to format it to FAT32 instead of exFAT and I have to say it helps.
4 hours of listening and so far no glitch. I don't mind about 4GB file limit unless there won't be any interruptions during play so it's worth trying.

Maybe it is good to mention that before I also did a factory reset because of big battery drain in idle (bluetooth, wifi turn off, no applications running, all third-party apps uninstalled, gallery and file manager apps disabled).
It was cca 1% per two minutes and device was hot on touch (CPU?). It happend 2x after 2-3 days when M6 was running without rebooting/shutting off.
Probably some kernel issue. For now I solved it by turning M6 off when I don't use it for a longer time.

Despite the problems I still like the device (I chose it also by recommendation from this forum) but missing some features from my previous Cowon D2:
- after 12 years of almost daily used it has still better battery life than M6 :)
- fast forward/rewind via physical buttons when screen is off
- shuffle mode for all songs in all subfolders (Fiio app has play through folder feature but it plays folders one by one so after it plays all songs in one folder then it goes to another)

However M6 has tons of better/new features for which I decided to give it a chance.

I tried Pulsar music player on M6 but I would not say it is for daily use (at least the latest version from playstore). Maybe it has better search function, more options for replaygain, play queue, no problem with some characters in id3tag which Fiio app shows in chinese...,
but it failes in basic function - playing a music. There are so many "glitches" while playing a songs so it is not acceptable for me. Fiio music player has no such issues - better optimization? All with bluetooth headphones, I didn't check it with wired ones.

So I am looking forward for new firmware as most of the problems could be solved by software update, I hope.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,248 of 3,610
(Fiio app has play through folder feature but it plays folders one by one so after it plays all songs in one folder then it goes to another)
So you are saying that random play on the M6 for all songs involves full play of each folder thus if each folder is a cd, All music in each cd plays out and then it moves onto next cd? That is a major deal breaker for me since I wish to play all music in random from every cd I have loaded into player and not random through each cd. Wonder if that can and will be fixed in firmware. I have the M3K and all music random play goes everywhere on the card and I never hear the same artist in succession.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #2,249 of 3,610
So you are saying that random play on the M6 for all songs involves full play of each folder thus if each folder is a cd, All music in each cd plays out and then it moves onto next cd? That is a major deal breaker for me since I wish to play all music in random from every cd I have loaded into player and not random through each cd. Wonder if that can and will be fixed in firmware. I have the M3K and all music random play goes everywhere on the card and I never hear the same artist in succession.

No you can select all music and shuffle.

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #2,250 of 3,610
Hi all,

regarding to "glitch" problem at the start of the song I also experienced the same issue. I have a 128 GB Kingston - Class U3 UHS-I V30 A1 which is quite fast and on PC I can achieve a declared speeds (not on M6 of course).
On fio forum I saw a thread about format type of card and tried to format it to FAT32 instead of exFAT and I have to say it helps.
4 hours of listening and so far no glitch. I don't mind about 4GB file limit unless there won't be any interruptions during play so it's worth trying.

Maybe it is good to mention that before I also did a factory reset because of big battery drain in idle (bluetooth, wifi turn off, no applications running, all third-party apps uninstalled, gallery and file manager apps disabled).
It was cca 1% per two minutes and device was hot on touch (CPU?). It happend 2x after 2-3 days when M6 was running without rebooting/shutting off.
Probably some kernel issue. For now I solved it by turning M6 off when I don't use it for a longer time.

Despite the problems I still like the device (I chose it also by recommendation from this forum) but missing some features from my previous Cowon D2:
- after 12 years of almost daily used it has still better battery life than M6 :)
- fast forward/rewind via physical buttons when screen is off
- shuffle mode for all songs in all subfolders (Fiio app has play through folder feature but it plays folders one by one so after it plays all songs in one folder then it goes to another)

However M6 has tons of better/new features for which I decided to give it a chance.

I tried Pulsar music player on M6 but I would not say it is for daily use (at least the latest version from playstore). Maybe it has better search function, more options for replaygain, play queue, no problem with some characters in id3tag which Fiio app shows in chinese...,
but it failes in basic function - playing a music. There are so many "glitches" while playing a songs so it is not acceptable for me. Fiio music player has no such issues - better optimization? All with bluetooth headphones, I didn't check it with wired ones.

So I am looking forward for new firmware as most of the problems could be solved by software update, I hope.

So I tried this, and to my disappointment, the stutter is still there. it does feel like it's a tad more stable, but it didn't solve the issue for me. I have actually done a factory reset to go with the card formatting.

Just for the hell of it, I went to try the read and write speeds for the sd card, and I found an average of 80MB/s read and 60MB/s write speed. So, memory card quality and format seem to be out of the equation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back