[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,221 of 3,610
Im starting to see your point and Im waiting till the M11 is actually released in the states for some Dap sound comparison reviews.Only reason I would buy a big DAP like the M11 is if It presented all my music in an upgraded manner and I heard things I have never heard before in a wide soundstage. If the M11 sound quality is very similar to the M6, that will be what I go for. The M6 has enough options for me. Its all about the sound quality. Money I save I can put into a new set of headphones.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #2,222 of 3,610
The whole point of the M6 form factor gets lost with the very large M11. If I wanted a large DAP my Samsung S9 plus phone sounds very good. Not as good as the M series but with good IEMs pretty good. But it is too large for me and the whole point of the M6 is that I could put it into a shirt pocket, walk around, and listen to a fantastic sound. I think for home use the M11 will be great, but for walking around on a sunny day, or working out at the gym the M11 will not be half as good as the M6. Horses for courses. Viva la M6....if it works.

I couldn't agree more, portability, tons of features, great sound vs not perfect performance is still a winner for me. I use it mostly at home with big amps/speakers and it's still a winner because of the other factor: PRICE.
Horses for courses: for u$s 500 I can buy a great LG V30 or another very good smartphone (in fact I need a phone). So it makes no sense to me.

I'll eventually wait for the next in line, M8? M10? to succeed the M6 ,maybe for.. u$s 200? u$s 230? with a better processor/RAM. But at this price and factor, M6 is a sweet delight.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #2,223 of 3,610
Me too. In all honesty there will be better sounding DAPs than the M6 for a lot more dosh. But the M6 cost me about £120.00 sterling. What an amazing value player. I too play it through my HiFi....actually in various ways using WiFi, LDAC, APTX-HD or, rarely, wired. With nice IEMs it sounds great. With the FiiO BTR3 it sounds great. I can stream Spotify with it. I understand there are serious quality control issues with it but for whoever gets a good one it's unbeatable. I am 100% satisfied with it. I am addicted to it and do not stop listening to it. The M11 sounds a great bit of kit but if FiiO stuck another GB or so of RAM in the M6 and a faster processor it would become the No.1 DAP in the known universe.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,224 of 3,610
With nice IEMs it sounds great. With the FiiO BTR3 it sounds great. I can stream Spotify with it. I understand there are serious quality control issues with it but for whoever gets a good one it's unbeatable. I am 100% satisfied with it. I am addicted to it and do not stop listening to it.

IEMs! At this very moment waiting for some KZ ZSN Pro, eager is an understament :) Quite inexpensive but with good reviews. This is my area, "hifi bang for the buck". Before this recent "wave" (FiiO has quite been the lead here I think) of course you could get all those beautiful Sonys and others, but.. totally out of my reach.

And BTR3 must surely be addictive, I use my BTR1K with my crappy sounding phone and it's stellar to my ears with my PX100II, I am always looking forward to be on the bus to use them lol

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #2,225 of 3,610
IEMs! At this very moment waiting for some KZ ZSN Pro, eager is an understament :) Quite inexpensive but with good reviews. This is my area, "hifi bang for the buck". Before this recent "wave" (FiiO has quite been the lead here I think) of course you could get all those beautiful Sonys and others, but.. totally out of my reach.

And BTR3 must surely be addictive, I use my BTR1K with my crappy sounding phone and it's stellar to my ears with my PX100II, I am always looking forward to be on the bus to use them lol

I have got a pair of KZ ES4s. I recabled them with a spare cable and they sound as good as the IEMs I have costing more. The KZ ZSN pro has brilliant reviews, so keep us posted on how they sound. I'm like you I can't afford the expensive gear and haven't even had the opportunity to listen to the best gear, but I've always had the HiFi itch and I've been lucky enough to make satisfying choices. Enjoy.
Steve

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,226 of 3,610
I have got a pair of KZ ES4s. I recabled them with a spare cable and they sound as good as the IEMs I have costing more. The KZ ZSN pro has brilliant reviews, so keep us posted on how they sound. I'm like you I can't afford the expensive gear and haven't even had the opportunity to listen to the best gear, but I've always had the HiFi itch and I've been lucky enough to make satisfying choices. Enjoy.
Steve

Yeah I read reviews comparing the es4 with the non pro version of kz zsn and they said es4 were better. There's also zst.. Geez they never stop releasing new models :) I'll let you know how it goes!

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,228 of 3,610
hi @FiiO when are you releasing a new firmware for the M6? Last I read through, a post confirmed that it will be released sometime in April?

I can confidently assume that the audio skipping is caused by the instability of the music app. the audio skip or "glitch" happens when the player tries to play the song immediately as soon as you move to the next track. it seems like the player tries to be gapless in its playback, but stutters as a result

When I restart the app by exiting the app and then opening it up again, the music app plays the songs without hurrying (there is a very normal brief gap that is uninterrupted by audio, as it should be). I assume that after prolonged use, the glitch will appear again, and the player will try to hurry to play the next track that you are skipping to, resulting in the audio stuttering.

(The app restart doesn't seem to fix the issue every single time, so it's unreliable as a fix for the time being)

While editing this post, i have gone through the restart cycle a few times after every encounter with the audio glitch. Even the restart does not solve it immediately.

Also, turning off gapless playback does not solve this issue. the issue appears after skipping through a few songs

@FiiO , please, can you look up this issue? I am no software engineer, but it does seem like some sort of instability within the music app. Alternatively, it also has to do with the app cycling through various music file format, and changing from one format to the other in quick succession causes the glitch.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #2,230 of 3,610
My M6 is being delivered this week.
What memory cards (brand / size) do you guys recommend for it?

Actually having used a Sandisk Ulta 128 GB and a Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB if you don't mind spending a little more get the Samsung. I find it alleviates alot of the minor issues with the M6/M7. For me it scans my new tracks faster than the Sandisk and it seems to scan it on first try. With the Sandisk it usually took 3 attempts to get it to scan new tracks. I am also not experiencing microgaps gaps and cut ins from track to track with the Samsung as I did with the Sandisk. When in doubt go for the fastest card you can afford, speed is always a plus.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,231 of 3,610
I couldn't agree more, portability, tons of features, great sound vs not perfect performance is still a winner for me. I use it mostly at home with big amps/speakers and it's still a winner because of the other factor: PRICE.
Horses for courses: for u$s 500 I can buy a great LG V30 or another very good smartphone (in fact I need a phone). So it makes no sense to me.

I'll eventually wait for the next in line, M8? M10? to succeed the M6 ,maybe for.. u$s 200? u$s 230? with a better processor/RAM. But at this price and factor, M6 is a sweet delight.

Yep, I have the V30, and its sound quality and versatility make it my absolute go to choice for music. Look at the plus points:

Sound is on par with my X7ii to my ears
It can drive comfortably my 600ohm T1's - magic!
It locks on and holds 990kbs LDAC (which my Note 8 is hopeless at) - means it's a super pairing with the BTR3
I can use Cloudplayer perfectly with it to access my dropbox with all my flac albums uploaded; and download for offline use with UAPP or other advanced player for best sound.
Screen is much better than any DAP
It's light
Its a phone
It's now cheap (ive seen it at 350chf)

The M0 (or M5 when it comes) + M6 + V30 really are all one would need for all iterations of portable music; total budget perhaps 600 usd + cards? Fab.

For those that seek minutae of sound differences, then of course the sky's the limit as regards daps and dacs, but for sensible normal good quality daily use these gadgets are brill.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,232 of 3,610
Actually having used a Sandisk Ulta 128 GB and a Samsung EVO Plus 256 GB if you don't mind spending a little more get the Samsung. I find it alleviates alot of the minor issues with the M6/M7. For me it scans my new tracks faster than the Sandisk and it seems to scan it on first try. With the Sandisk it usually took 3 attempts to get it to scan new tracks. I am also not experiencing microgaps gaps and cut ins from track to track with the Samsung as I did with the Sandisk. When in doubt go for the fastest card you can afford, speed is always a plus.

as much as I want to agree with this, it is arguable because a relatively modern class 10 microsd card SHOULD suffice for stable use. otherwise there should be an official statement from fiio advising which cards to get or which cards might be problematic to use with, because it could potentially ruin the entire experience.

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,234 of 3,610
Hi all !
I've had a talk with a french reseller, and they mentioned that Fiio stopped production of the M6 because of a known issue with faulty screens, and had some new production batch incoming for the beginning of May. Is this claim true? I've just bought it from Amazon, and am waiting on confirmation before opening/sending it back.
I haven't been able to find any mention of this on the web, and am waiting for confirmation from Fiio themselves. If anybody has any info, it'd be great !
Hey @FiiO , any info on this? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back