[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #3,316 of 3,610
That's over 12 hours, and sounds about right to me. I believe Fiio claim about 13 hours using Bluetooth, and a bit less using wired headphones. In normal use though, I find it won't get close to that, but i don't think the battery life is bad for such a small device.

Are you getting comparable battery life using wired headphones? I really don't think the M6 will last 13 hours playing music over bluetooth, as from my experience turning on Wifi and/or bluetooth drains the M6's battery at a fairly quick pace...

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,317 of 3,610
Are you getting comparable battery life using wired headphones? I really don't think the M6 will last 13 hours playing music over bluetooth, as from my experience turning on Wifi and/or bluetooth drains the M6's battery at a fairly quick pace...
I did a test when I first got the player and left it running playing a mix of different file types, 16 ohm iems plugged in, volume set to about 40, and got a 7% drain per hour. I never tested it on bluetooth, but Fiio do claim that's how to get the maximum run time. Maybe it's because the DAC and amp are being bypassed?

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #3,318 of 3,610
I did a test when I first got the player and left it running playing a mix of different file types, 16 ohm iems plugged in, volume set to about 40, and got a 7% drain per hour. I never tested it on bluetooth, but Fiio do claim that's how to get the maximum run time. Maybe it's because the DAC and amp are being bypassed?

Ah, ok. So a drain of 7~8% per hour is par for the course, then. I appreciate your input, thanks.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,319 of 3,610
Is everyone happy with the battery life of their M6? Probably my biggest gripe with it is the less-than-stellar battery life. Playing a continuous loop of the same burn-in MP3 track with volume set at 60 through a pair of sensitive and REALLY easy to drive earbuds (32ohms), my M6's battery drains an average of 8% per hour. Wifi and bluetooth are both off. This happens using the Fiio Music app as well as Musicolet.

It's not as good as I'd like it to be, but I went in knowing that it would be ~12 hours for music playback. And honestly now that I've owned it for a few weeks and kicked the tires, it's not that bad.....easily a full day of usage for me and that's the important thing.

The USB-C is a good counterbalance to that as I can carry a USB-C powerbrick and cable that can charge either my phone or my DAP, depending on my needs.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #3,320 of 3,610
Btw, as far as a lack of CPU power, I suppose that's a legit grievance. But given that the last time I attempted an Android DAP was the Cowon D3 this thing flies in comparison to that DAP.

I don't really use the Tidal app, although it seems to be acceptable when I kicked the tires a bit. Definitely slower than my phone. But what I care about was the main music player app and since I can now use whatever APK's I want, that's a big advantage. Currenly using Musicolet as my daily driver but when I'm in a Zune nostalgia mood, an old version of Noozy works too.

I actually removed the FiiO music application from the device.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,321 of 3,610
Btw, as far as a lack of CPU power, I suppose that's a legit grievance. But given that the last time I attempted an Android DAP was the Cowon D3 this thing flies in comparison to that DAP.

I don't really use the Tidal app, although it seems to be acceptable when I kicked the tires a bit. Definitely slower than my phone. But what I care about was the main music player app and since I can now use whatever APK's I want, that's a big advantage. Currenly using Musicolet as my daily driver but when I'm in a Zune nostalgia mood, an old version of Noozy works too.

I actually removed the FiiO music application from the device.

Yeap, wish it had more CPU power as well. It's decent as is. And yeap, Musicolet works better for me than the stock Fiio Music app. Not sure if there's any difference in SQ though...

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,322 of 3,610
so I am currently using my either of my android phones (I have a daily driver and a backup media one) and am connecting my headphones to a Chromecast audio. Keep debating getting a DAP and this is top of my list as I need it mainly for BBC Sounds. Is it worth making the switch?

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #3,323 of 3,610
so I am currently using my either of my android phones (I have a daily driver and a backup media one) and am connecting my headphones to a Chromecast audio. Keep debating getting a DAP and this is top of my list as I need it mainly for BBC Sounds. Is it worth making the switch?

Are there any shortcomings with your current setup? If yes and if it's glaring enough, then the M6 might be worth considering. Just be mindful of its shortcomings, most has been documented here in this thread. Not sure how well the BBC Sounds app works on it though. If the app is a memory hog, it might slow down the M6.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #3,324 of 3,610
Are there any shortcomings with your current setup? If yes and if it's glaring enough, then the M6 might be worth considering. Just be mindful of its shortcomings, most has been documented here in this thread. Not sure how well the BBC Sounds app works on it though. If the app is a memory hog, it might slow down the M6.

Not really, I have other dacs too. I do like a gadget though!

I like the idea of having something without as many distractions as a phone too!

Thanks for responding

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #3,325 of 3,610

I like the idea of having something without as many distractions as a phone too!

Both valid points. May I know what phone(s) are you using to play music on your Chomecast Audio setup? One thing to note is that the M6 will feel slightly sluggish if compared to most current-gen midrange phones. However, it does have a better DAC than most phones and will be able to drive most headphones quite well. Also, expandable storage for lots and lots of audio files. Battery life is okay-ish but not stellar.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3,326 of 3,610
Both valid points. May I know what phone(s) are you using to play music on your Chomecast Audio setup? One thing to note is that the M6 will feel slightly sluggish if compared to most current-gen midrange phones. However, it does have a better DAC than most phones and will be able to drive most headphones quite well. Also, expandable storage for lots and lots of audio files. Battery life is okay-ish but not stellar.

Either a Moto Power G8 or G7 Power (can you tell I like Moto's with large batteries!?)

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,327 of 3,610

Thanks for responding

I bought it specifically because I want a separate device from my phone. Couple of reasons - saving the battery on my phone has always been one, and taking a music device on a walk where I'm "off the grid" is another.

But a third reason for me is that I know phones are slowly losing their headphone jacks and storage expansion capability. With a dedicated DAP, I don't particularly care if my next phone has neither as the DAP stays the same. Opens up my options on what phone I can buy long-term.

Aug 25, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #3,328 of 3,610
While I appreciate FiiO devices, myself being a user of BTR5 and a former user of FiiO M11 Pro, this is not very original...

Screenshot_20200825-095110~01.jpg

1754310-ec9fac7b-sony-wm1a-walkman-128gb-sandisk-256mb-microsd-44-balanced-cable-and-micro-us...jpeg

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #3,329 of 3,610
Either a Moto Power G8 or G7 Power (can you tell I like Moto's with large batteries!?)

If you're a fan of big batteries & long battery life, don't expect to be particularly impressed with the M6. As I mentioned, the battery life is okay, not stellar.

I bought it specifically because I want a separate device from my phone. Couple of reasons - saving the battery on my phone has always been one, and taking a music device on a walk where I'm "off the grid" is another.

But a third reason for me is that I know phones are slowly losing their headphone jacks and storage expansion capability. With a dedicated DAP, I don't particularly care if my next phone has neither as the DAP stays the same. Opens up my options on what phone I can buy long-term.

Interesting. All valid points to consider a dedicated DAP over a phone. Although nowadays the prevalence of high quality Bluetooth transmitters such as the BTR5 and the Qudelix 5K are on the rise.

Aug 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #3,330 of 3,610

Thanks for the info. Good points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back