[FiiO M6] Portable High-Resolution Lossless Music Player,Embracing A Wireless Future
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #1,546 of 3,610
Just did something very impulsive, hope I don't regret it.

So I took my destroyed M6 to UPS and they agreed without argument that the damage was their fault and I will get the $100.00 insurance. It will take a week to 10 days but I will get my money back so all is not lost. Now flush with that good news I went to avgearshop.com. Their site showed they had the M6 in stock but to make sure I called them. Apparently they just sold the last M6 but, they have a display model M7 available for the same price at $220.00 CDN, vs $270 new. The unit still comes with a full manufacturers warranty and the same 30 day return policy. He assured me it will come with all the accessories and that it is damage free. I kind of had to pull the trigger on something as the buyer for my M0 wasn't going to wait much longer and the M6 is a complete unknown right now on availability.

I had to actually purchase it through amazon.ca to get the display model. On the plus side avgearshop is driving distance from me so if need be I can take the M7 back to the store instead of having to ship it somewhere. I have purchased several display and refurbished audio products over the years and saved alot of money. The great thing about buying a display model vs buying one from an individual is you get the full warranty and it is usually covered under the same return policy as a new unit as this unit will be. Also since it has been used I know it works.

I checked out every review I could find and youtube video and from what I read and saw the M7 looks like a really nice unit. Will I like it as much as the M6? who knows but since I don't need wifi and streaming I am happy to trade those features on the M6 for the much better battery life on the M7. To be honest I think I prefer the look of the M7 vs the M6 which looks like a pint sized smartphone. Thanks to a firmware update it has my coveted replaygain and all the other features I want. I lose some power with the M7 that is true but my B&W P5S2's are very efficient and only 22 ohms so very easy to drive, the M7 power will be plenty. I would never have paid $270.00 for the M7 but $220.00 is easier to swallow. With the uncertainty of the availability of the M6 at least I will have something I can use now instead of waiting.

Worst case the M7 gets me by until something else comes along, maybe even the M6 if Fiio gets the inventory shortage fixed.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,547 of 3,610
Just did something very impulsive, hope I don't regret it.

So I took my destroyed M6 to UPS and they agreed without argument that the damage was their fault and I will get the $100.00 insurance. It will take a week to 10 days but I will get my money back so all is not lost. Now flush with that good news I went to avgearshop.com. Their site showed they had the M6 in stock but to make sure I called them. Apparently they just sold the last M6 but, they have a display model M7 available for the same price at $220.00 CDN, vs $270 new. The unit still comes with a full manufacturers warranty and the same 30 day return policy. He assured me it will come with all the accessories and that it is damage free. I kind of had to pull the trigger on something as the buyer for my M0 wasn't going to wait much longer and the M6 is a complete unknown right now on availability.

I had to actually purchase it through amazon.ca to get the display model. On the plus side avgearshop is driving distance from me so if need be I can take the M7 back to the store instead of having to ship it somewhere. I have purchased several display and refurbished audio products over the years and saved alot of money. The great thing about buying a display model vs buying one from an individual is you get the full warranty and it is usually covered under the same return policy as a new unit as this unit will be. Also since it has been used I know it works.

I checked out every review I could find and youtube video and from what I read and saw the M7 looks like a really nice unit. Will I like it as much as the M6? who knows but since I don't need wifi and streaming I am happy to trade those features on the M6 for the much better battery life on the M7. To be honest I think I prefer the look of the M7 vs the M6 which looks like a pint sized smartphone. Thanks to a firmware update it has my coveted replaygain and all the other features I want. I lose some power with the M7 that is true but my B&W P5S2's are very efficient and only 22 ohms so very easy to drive, the M7 power will be plenty. I would never have paid $270.00 for the M7 but $220.00 is easier to swallow. With the uncertainty of the availability of the M6 at least I will have something I can use now instead of waiting.

Worst case the M7 gets me by until something else comes along, maybe even the M6 if Fiio gets the inventory shortage fixed.

Just don't forget that the M7 doesn't not have WiFi and thus no no 3rd party apps if those matter to you. You'll get an FM radio though.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,548 of 3,610
Just don't forget that the M7 doesn't not have WiFi and thus no no 3rd party apps if those matter to you. You'll get an FM radio though.

As I said in my post I have no use for wifi and streaming and I don't need any 3rd party apps. For what I want and need, namely good sound quality, solid battery life, enough power to drive my headphones and LDAC bluetooth support the M7 fits me very well. My M0 doesn't have wifi, or support for 3rd party apps and except for the tiny screen it was a great fit for me. The M7 gives me all the same things and a bigger screen and improved battery life and the price was right thanks to the deal I am getting.

For the extremely rare occasions I may want wifi and streaming I have a smartphone for that and the M6 is more limited for that than my smartphone. Why pay for something in the M6 that my smartphone does better, I need a DAP to carry my 6000+ tracks and doesn't drain my smartphone battery and sounds much better to boot I am sure. Again trading unwanted wifi for better battery life is better for my needs.

Not a knock against the M6 as I haven't had a chance to try it but better to have something to use now than wait for the M6 some day, who knows when.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,550 of 3,610
Has anyone tried to listen to the spotify, tidal in m6 without problem by utilizing hotspot wireless streaming of iphone?
Yes i have tired Spotify and there is no problem playing.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,552 of 3,610
Hey all;

No audiophile here, just a guy who loves his life-long music library and has significantly outgrown his 16GB ipod Nano 6th (2010) and started looking for a replacement for a party I have coming up.

I felt like I had to create an account to post a big “Thanks” to all who have contributed thoughts and observations to this thread: for a guy who didn't even know what a DAP was a week ago, it has been a godsend – especially the observations of my fellow Canucks attempting to locate this device for sale!
(I mean – chewing through 80 pages of forums isn't exactly fun, but . . . helpful for sure)

It's pretty frustrating, though, that I have decided that the M6 is the device I want, but I have no way to purchase it with any certainty 8(.

1st world, I know; still . . . a sour taste out of the gate I must say.

Anyway, thanks again to those who have shared: it helped a lot (especially the direct comparisons to m0, m7, m9, and AP80)!

X.

One question though (someone asked a million pages ago but didn't get an answer):
I am still a little foggy about if the M6 will cross-fade lossy tracks though. It clearly says in a few places no “gapless” on lossy formats.
(I have never used gapless before – but I do like to leave cross-fade on on my Ipod: will I still have that option on this device?)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,554 of 3,610
Hey all;

No audiophile here, just a guy who loves his life-long music library and has significantly outgrown his 16GB ipod Nano 6th (2010) and started looking for a replacement for a party I have coming up.

I felt like I had to create an account to post a big “Thanks” to all who have contributed thoughts and observations to this thread: for a guy who didn't even know what a DAP was a week ago, it has been a godsend – especially the observations of my fellow Canucks attempting to locate this device for sale!
(I mean – chewing through 80 pages of forums isn't exactly fun, but . . . helpful for sure)

It's pretty frustrating, though, that I have decided that the M6 is the device I want, but I have no way to purchase it with any certainty 8(.

1st world, I know; still . . . a sour taste out of the gate I must say.

Anyway, thanks again to those who have shared: it helped a lot (especially the direct comparisons to m0, m7, m9, and AP80)!

X.

One question though (someone asked a million pages ago but didn't get an answer):
I am still a little foggy about if the M6 will cross-fade lossy tracks though. It clearly says in a few places no “gapless” on lossy formats.
(I have never used gapless before – but I do like to leave cross-fade on on my Ipod: will I still have that option on this device?)

No cross-fade.

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,555 of 3,610
Amazon.ca now lists the M6 as "currently unavailable"

...hope mine shows up soon.

And I hope you don’t get the same delivery person as Fish did :wink: Our post people here are dumb about shoving big packages into small mailboxes- you know so they don’t have to exit the vehicle and walk. Does havoc on hardbound books.

Anyways hope you get it ASAP.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #1,556 of 3,610
And I hope you don’t get the same delivery person as Fish did :wink: Our post people here are dumb about shoving big packages into small mailboxes- you know so they don’t have to exit the vehicle and walk. Does havoc on hardbound books.

Anyways hope you get it ASAP.

Did someone mention fish? I think from now on any time I order anything fragile I will have it delivered to my local post office and pick it up. Canada Post sucks as well, I was home today when my used new M7 was to be delivered. The driver never even attempted to actually deliver it and never left a Missed you card. The tracking said I wasn't home and that a delivery attempt card was left. Neither actually happened and I called Canada Post to complain, total waste of time. I now have to drive to the post office to get it tomorrow, what is the point of paying for priority delivery if they won't actually deliver it?

I should start my own package delivery company and show them what customer service actually means.

Mar 2, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,557 of 3,610
Amazon.ca now lists the M6 as "currently unavailable"

...hope mine shows up soon.

Yeah I hope it works out better for you than for me with your M6. I was shocked how quickly my M7 would have shown up if Canada Post had actually attempted to deliver it. It was only coming from about 25 miles away but still almost arrived next day when eta was March 8 to 18th. I am sure the weather is putting a big strain on delivery schedules though and more snow on the way apparently. Do you have the tracking information yet, do you know what delivery service it is?

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #1,558 of 3,610
Yeah I hope it works out better for you than for me with your M6. I was shocked how quickly my M7 would have shown up if Canada Post had actually attempted to deliver it. It was only coming from about 25 miles away but still almost arrived next day when eta was March 8 to 18th. I am sure the weather is putting a big strain on delivery schedules though and more snow on the way apparently. Do you have the tracking information yet, do you know what delivery service it is?

It's Canada Post. The only tracking update indicates that Canada Post has picked the package up in Mississauga. That was on the 21st and no update since. It seems like it's in limbo...I assume due to the weather in the East.

I've ordered a lot of stuff over the years and have had very few (really no) issues at all. I guess I've been lucky.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #1,559 of 3,610
It's Canada Post. The only tracking update indicates that Canada Post has picked the package up in Mississauga. That was on the 21st and no update since. It seems like it's in limbo...I assume due to the weather in the East.

I've ordered a lot of stuff over the years and have had very few (really no) issues at all. I guess I've been lucky.
Same situation here, shipped the 21st, its been in Mississauga ever since. The funny thing is, in the meantime I ordered a 6XX from Massdrop and got it within 5 days, passed through the Mississauga facility as well.

Edit: I'm 45 minutes from Mississauga

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back