FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 10, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #931 of 2,001
It is a creditable product... now wat i want is titanium casing :)

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #932 of 2,001
Hey guys,

All I am doing is trying to come at this with a different point of view.  I could live without certain features in a $55.00 DAP that isn't the point. I don't care about gapless playback and I can live without playlist support at this price point.  I have other options if I want to hear playlists.  All I am saying is that this product was released prematurely and Fiio should have done more testing prior to its release.  No one would be happier than me to see the M3 be a great product and sell like crazy. That way Fiio would continue produce products at this price range which is a win for a lot of people.  And I would be happy to buy one if and when issues are addressed.  But I do have other options at the moment so I choose to wait and see.

Head-fier's are Head-fier's and we can sometimes see the audio world through rose colored glasses.  I am trying to present a more real world view of how things can play out in the audio market and the reality of audio from the sales side.

I am coming from the point of view from someone who sold audio equipment for many years and have seen several brands rise and fall in that time.  I do have a pretty good understanding of how the audio product market works in North America where I live and that is the point of view I am coming from.  I have a pretty good handle on what it takes for a product to succeed and why they fail.  Products like the M3 with operational quirks and bugs don't tend to fare well in the market based on my experience.  Low margin products like the M3 need to sell a lot to be successful financially.

As for your assertions that I am not familiar with other Asian brands,  I am familiar with Astell & Kern (iRiver), Ibasso, Calyx,  HiFiMan Oppo Digital, US brand Microsoft when they still sold DAP's, Sansa, Creative Labs, Acoustic Research and probably a few more that escape me at the moment.  Pretty much every brand I can walk into a store in Toronto and audition.  I also sold many of them at some point.  Personally I don't care at all about the Asian market as I don't live in Asia.  I care about the North American market where I live.

My greatest hope is that Fiio reads this forum and takes some of these comments to heart to improve the M3.  I am just presenting a different point of view for them to consider.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #933 of 2,001
Right...

:popcorn:
Still waiting for FiiO to chime in here and address everyone's concerns.  They were real active in this discussion until this thing released...just saying.
i

I'm getting on with mine just fine, without the whine:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now my honest guess is the delay is because they are reading and addressing as many fixes as they can so all "The want it all's" can be apeased. I have seen FiiO do this for other products in these threads. And if not maybe they are waiting for the entire attack mob to move on to what makes them happy! They could always just start their own M3 complaints thread:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:beers:

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #934 of 2,001
i

I'm getting on with mine just fine, without the whine:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now my honest guess is the delay is because they are reading and addressing as many fixes as they can so all "The want it all's" can be apeased. I have seen FiiO do this for other products in these threads. And if not maybe they are waiting for the entire attack mob to move on to what makes them happy! They could always just start their own M3 complaints thread:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I sincerely hope that you are right and you probably are, only time will tell.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #935 of 2,001
i

I'm sure you're right also.  I really don't have any interest other than  seeing if FiiO pulls through fixes the bugs, quirks, issues, or whatever.  My M3 is on it's way back to New York and I have no intention of getting another one (whether they fix what's wrong or not).  I can continue to use my X1/X3II or Sansa's like I have been.  I'd be surprised as to what they can do with the M3 based on the limitations of the internals.  I've gone back through the thread and there was some discussion on this so I'm not to optimistic, but I hope I am wrong.  Now I will refrain from comment and just monitor things.  I'm following the K1 thread and I'm pretty set on getting myself one for Christmas if Santa doesn't bring me one.

beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #936 of 2,001
I have been reading this thread with great interest and have to agree with the sentiments voiced by fish1050, and lets not forget, they are HIS opinions so don't get your panties in a wad and jump all over the guy just because he doesn't voice the "popular" opinion. I happen to agree with a lot that he has said and it appears he seems to know a fair bit about "consumer electronics" and isn't some raving loony.
I have also expressed some unpopular opinions about certain products and practises on this forum and copped a lot of flack, but you know what, this is what forums are all about...PEOPLES OPINIONS, popular or not. That being said, lets be respectful of differing opinions even if we may think they are bloody idiots who know bugger all!
I may cop some flack over this post, but you know what, I don't give a continental! It's my opinion and I have a right as a forum member to express it as long as it is not a personal attack, which it isn't.
So, lets be realistic and not be a bunch of "blind mice" led by some manufacturers marketing hype and use our common sense when it comes to expressing views and opinions about products.
No, I will not be answering any counter opinions with regard to this post so blast away all you like, I will not waste my time with a counter argument as I have better things to do.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #937 of 2,001
This dap with a slight warmish sound, pairs well with the Havi...

And also gave the new t40rp mk3 a good push...
One song in my testtracks was like...woahhh, wasnt tat out of my head!

I would keep this in my pocket...to test out hdfones:)
Or an X1...tsktsk...hvnt place my bets.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #938 of 2,001
  I have been reading this thread with great interest and have to agree with the sentiments voiced by fish1050, and lets not forget, they are HIS opinions so don't get your panties in a wad and jump all over the guy just because he doesn't voice the "popular" opinion. I happen to agree with a lot that he has said and it appears he seems to know a fair bit about "consumer electronics" and isn't some raving loony.
I have also expressed some unpopular opinions about certain products and practises on this forum and copped a lot of flack, but you know what, this is what forums are all about...PEOPLES OPINIONS, popular or not. That being said, lets be respectful of differing opinions even if we may think they are bloody idiots who know bugger all!
I may cop some flack over this post, but you know what, I don't give a continental! It's my opinion and I have a right as a forum member to express it as long as it is not a personal attack, which it isn't.
So, lets be realistic and not be a bunch of "blind mice" led by some manufacturers marketing hype and use our common sense when it comes to expressing views and opinions about products.
No, I will not be answering any counter opinions with regard to this post so blast away all you like, I will not waste my time with a counter argument as I have better things to do.

Thanks for the support,

It is always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #939 of 2,001
Just finished opening mine up right now, and I have to say I'm impressed with the build quality. Has a nice weight to it, and it feels pretty damn solid.

Letting it charge, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but wow. It makes my Clip feel like a cheap toy in comparison.

I wish there was a clear case or something available. I don't like using my electronics...naked, for lack of a better term.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #940 of 2,001

Gee Bruce, you are like the great Carnac
eek.gif
I wonder how many times you would have to charge the battery to get through 3773 tracks? This is a grab-n-go device like our user wanting something to listen to for a 30 minute lunch break or quick walk to the corner store, surely you have better and higher priced DAP's to utilize all the options you desire or to just show people how much music you have in your hip pocket. All the negative feedback in here is worrying FiiO to death I'm sure (NOT), they will work some of these things out like they always do but as a grab-n-go player with top notch SQ they will have a market and make it just fine. I am 100% sure they never advertised this little $55 player to be the be all, end of DAP's. We can all read and realize you guys just want to
deadhorse.gif

Glad you were wise enough to save your$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
beerchug.gif

Whoa whoa! ease up little man! lol. I was poking fun at Fiio whilst addressing why I personally have not bought the M3 because I had strong suspicions it wouldn't tick my boxes. I have said here or elsewhere that people use music differently and some features are deal breakers for some and others not.
I already own a 40g player (i9+) so I wasn't about to rush out and replace this with a DAP that despite it's 64gb advertising claims is basically being a bit fraudulent. What use is 64gb if the id3tag library pisses itself at 3700-4000 tracks, my 32gb i9 holds the same amount of tracks (with arguably more features, better sound quality, DSPs, battery life etc etc). I guess it's hand for those 3000 FLAC files perhaps... but anyway I digress..

I am fully aware of how varying people interact differently with their devices, I mean I also own an Alien Shozy for petes sake! I am sure the M3 is very satisfactory to many, and that's fine, it's just not for me (as I feel I have that 40g category covered well enough). I also believe that some of those issues will be ironed out in future firmware updates, and have said to many a buyer to perhaps just hold onto it for now if slightly miffed as Fiio have a good track record of coming through with the fixes. If and when that happens I may also jump on the band wagon also xD Until them my $79AUD is reserved in my bank account or towards another toy should one emerge that piques my interest.

What I do find interesting tho is how Fiio (and other companies) are pretty much treating customers as R&D. I mean it's perhaps forgiveable on the first DAP release from a company but i mean c'mon now... how many DAPs have Fiio pushed out? Isn't this there 4th lol? Why the hell do they release another one that they know isn't going to meet many users criteria, suffer the same issues as their previous nerfed models before they got the updates.... ahhh... I know... it's because it's Christmas round the corner lol. They rushed this for xmas sales and also perhaps to see how many customers actually care about certain bugs/limitations and features at the $55 price point. Who knows... maybe it will never see any fixes or future firmware updates as it's just a $55 DAP.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #941 of 2,001
Hi, I'm currently rocking an ATH-IM50 and ATH-M50x. Is M3 enough to power this two or should I go with X1? Are the difference big? And it's my first DAP in case I buy one. Will the SQ make a difference vs my Note 3? Thanks a lot! 

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #942 of 2,001
So I've spent a few hours with it, and I'm happy with my purchase. The sound and build quality are excellent at this price point, and although a little tricky at first, I've gotten used to navigating the UI. There were a few things I've noticed, however that I hope can be addressed in a firmware update.

1. There is a graphical glitch on the song time/ progress bar whenever I switch tracks
  2. If I change the volume/switch tracks with the screen off, the M3 will stay locked on that function, and I won't be able to do anything else until I unlock the device.
  3. Some albums won't have their entire name displayed on the album screen
  4. There's a beep that plays whenever a track repeats if set to repeat. Probably intended, but I don't like it and can't find a way to disable it. (EDIT) This doesn't always happen, but it does more often than not

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #943 of 2,001
Hi,
Am really excited for the M3, but it isn't in stock anywhere in my country..
Where can I get it for <70 euros, shipping included to the netherlands?
Tinbel doesn't ship to my country, ea audio uk is 80 euros... (shipping included)

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #944 of 2,001
  Hi,
Am really excited for the M3, but it isn't in stock anywhere in my country..
Where can I get it for <70 euros, shipping included to the netherlands?
Tinbel doesn't ship to my country, ea audio uk is 80 euros... (shipping included)

You could try here: http://headphoniaks.com/es/reproductor-auriculares/234-fiio-m3.html, including shipping to Netherlands would be 75€

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #945 of 2,001
  Hi, I'm currently rocking an ATH-IM50 and ATH-M50x. Is M3 enough to power this two or should I go with X1? Are the difference big? And it's my first DAP in case I buy one. Will the SQ make a difference vs my Note 3? Thanks a lot! 

M3 could probably push these, but the X1 would be able to do it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back