FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 10, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #916 of 2,001

When the Sana and Coby first came out, how were the UIs then?

No clue because i was probably still using CDs at the time.  I know people still do not like Sansa's UI as it is now and Rockbox them.  I never did that because it did what i wanted/needed it to do.  The M3 cannot, therefore I moved on.  It may or may not improve, but FiiO hasn't chimed in to let anyone know.  I'll stick to what works for me.  If you like it, then enjoy it.  I'm only expressing my experience with device, your's might be different and that's ok.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #917 of 2,001

Can't you make playlists that include tracks not in the library?

Yes you can, which I guess would be a workaround for smaller libraries, but for me that would be extremely time consuming and I haven't figured out how to make more playlists over the two default blanks they give us.

EDIT: I guess you can load up some .m3u's or something.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #918 of 2,001

The M3 will simply stop scanning songs after a certain point. Like on my card, I nearly filled out the whole 64 GB, but the library stops at T (viewing the library alphabetically by artist). I believe someone in the thread said that the limit was at around 3700 songs or so.

EDIT: Yes, you can use the songs on the microSD card that do not show up on the library but you have to access them through the file browser instead. This limits some playback functionality if you're like me and like to shuffle through an artist's discography at once but have their albums in subdirectories.

Yes you can, which I guess would be a workaround for smaller libraries, but for me that would be extremely time consuming and I haven't figured out how to make more playlists over the two default blanks they give us.

EDIT: I guess you can load up some .m3u's or something.

I have heard that the M3 doesn't support m3u files.

If the 64gb card is full, and the id3tag library is capped at 3773 songs (or whatever), then it may well be impossible to 'Shuffle All' at this time, all you will get is a Shuffle of all 'Songs' up to 3773, whatever comes after won't be included.

The Hidizs AP100 was similar (albeit a larger file limit), the user couldn't shuffle all, the workaround instead was to create a m3u file (which the AP100 recognizes) and use that. Luckily I believe the latest firmware addresses this issue on the AP100 and the file limit is lifted.

But back to the M3, if yer sd card is organised as Root>Artist>Album>Tracks then I don't see how you will be able to Shuffle All. You will have to have yer sd card as a mess being Root>Tracks and then you will be able to Shuffle All.

So... does the M3 actually allow a user to create their own playlist on the fly? I also was led to believe this feature was omitted.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #919 of 2,001

I have heard that the M3 doesn't support m3u files.

If the 64gb card is full, and the id3tag library is capped at 3773 songs (or whatever), then it may well be impossible to 'Shuffle All' at this time, all you will get is a Shuffle of all 'Songs' up to 3773, whatever comes after won't be included.

The Hidizs AP100 was similar (albeit a larger file limit), the user couldn't shuffle all, the workaround instead was to create a m3u file (which the AP100 recognizes) and use that. Luckily I believe the latest firmware addresses this issue on the AP100 and the file limit is lifted.

But back to the M3, if yer sd card is organised as Root>Artist>Album>Tracks then I don't see how you will be able to Shuffle All. You will have to have yer sd card as a mess being Root>Tracks and then you will be able to Shuffle All.

So... does the M3 actually allow a user to create their own playlist on the fly? I also was led to believe this feature was omitted.

I can shuffle songs that are scanned in the library even if the files are Root>Artist>Album>Tracks but the library stops at a cap and it stops at a point in whatever order the files are listed (originally it was random or date created, but I used the drivesort utility to put them in alphabetical order and it stopped at artists starting with T). So the "shuffle all" would really just be whatever is in the library but using folder view, it's just shuffles whatever is in that folder.

I don't think you can make your own playlists. I can only find the option to put tracks onto favorites, playlist 1, or playlist 2. Nothing to create a new one though.

I really hope later firmware updates fix these issues. This release has been lackluster.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #920 of 2,001

I can shuffle songs that are scanned in the library even if the files are Root>Artist>Album>Tracks but the library stops at a cap and it stops at a point in whatever order the files are listed (originally it was random or date created, but I used the drivesort utility to put them in alphabetical order and it stopped at artists starting with T). So the "shuffle all" would really just be whatever is in the library but using folder view, it's just shuffles whatever is in that folder.

I don't think you can make your own playlists. I can only find the option to put tracks onto favorites, playlist 1, or playlist 2. Nothing to create a new one though.

I really hope later firmware updates fix these issues. This release has been lackluster.

I foresaw this, It's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. 64gb card supported with limited usability lol, well done Fiio <slow clap>

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #922 of 2,001

I foresaw this, It's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. 64gb card supported with limited usability lol, well done Fiio <slow clap>

Gee Bruce, you are like the great Carnac
eek.gif
I wonder how many times you would have to charge the battery to get through 3773 tracks? This is a grab-n-go device like our user wanting something to listen to for a 30 minute lunch break or quick walk to the corner store, surely you have better and higher priced DAP's to utilize all the options you desire or to just show people how much music you have in your hip pocket. All the negative feedback in here is worrying FiiO to death I'm sure (NOT), they will work some of these things out like they always do but as a grab-n-go player with top notch SQ they will have a market and make it just fine. I am 100% sure they never advertised this little $55 player to be the be all, end of DAP's. We can all read and realize you guys just want to
deadhorse.gif

Glad you were wise enough to save your$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #923 of 2,001
  I think Fiio know their markets better than we do.  Their biggest one is China, and their expectations may be a lot different than ours.

I actually think teens and young adults probably ARE the target audience (price, size and features).  Like you said - people with more money are more likely to buy something more fully featured.

My 12yo and 14yo both have part time jobs.  A lot of kids their age do.  I think they are the modern consumer in this bracket.

Anyway - pointless debating - it's only taking us away from discussion about the M3.  Sorry it didn't work out for you.  I'll talk to Sunny and see how they are tracking with updates.

Yes China is the biggest market but it is also the most crowded. For every DAP you can buy outside of Asia there are 4 in Asia.  Do you really think DAP makers can survive and grow by ignoring half of the world's population as a potential market?  Why has Fiio been able to grow in size relative to most other Asian DAP makers?  Because they have been able to penetrate and get a solid reputation and retail distribution outside of Asia.  If they are going to continue to grow then they can't ignore half the potential market.

How big do you think the market is for any buggy product inside and outside of Asia with competition being as stiff as it is?  

Lots of Asian audio manufacturer are getting into the DAP market including Pioneer, Onkyo etc...  with much deeper pockets and years of expertise in making audio equipment.  Now is the time Fiio can least afford to release a bug laden product like the M3.  That is basic economics no matter market you are in.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #924 of 2,001

Yes China is the biggest market but it is also the most crowded. For every DAP you can buy outside of Asia there are 4 in Asia.  Do you really think DAP makers can survive and grow by ignoring half of the world's population as a potential market?  Why has Fiio been able to grow in size relative to most other Asian DAP makers?  Because they have been able to penetrate and get a solid reputation and retail distribution outside of Asia.  If they are going to continue to grow then they can't ignore half the potential market.

How big do you think the market is for any buggy product inside and outside of Asia with competition being as stiff as it is?  

Lots of Asian audio manufacturer are getting into the DAP market including Pioneer, Onkyo etc...  with much deeper pockets and years of expertise in making audio equipment.  Now is the time Fiio can least afford to release a bug laden product like the M3.  That is basic economics no matter market you are in.

Now with that said how many of the population are going to be as picky as a Head-Fier on a $55 DAP, moreover how many of these up and coming old school manufacturers will be making a $55 DAP the size of an M3. IMHO mine was worth it for the SQ and build quality alone
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #925 of 2,001
The limit at the moment appears to be 4000 files.  At least that is what it caps out at for me.

So far there is no support for m3u files - mind you, that wasn't ever listed as a feature anyway.  Pity though - ability to load own playlists would be great

There are 3 user definable playlists you can add to (song at a time) - "favourites", "playlist #1" and "playlist #2".  Very manual, and not exactly intuitive (I haven't worked out how to remove tracks from there yet).  The only was so far is to mount the drive and delete the playlist files.

Still testing features - so will advise more once found.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #926 of 2,001
I like Fiio as much as the next guy and I have owned several of their products since they opened up shop.  But I am sorry Fiio has shot themselves in the foot with the M3.  It is admirable how strongly a lot of you support Fiio and their products but Head-fier's make up a tiny part of the potential DAP market.  Most people outside of this forum who buy the Fiio will likely return it.  Even if Fiio eventually addresses most of these issues the damage will be done.  Once someone returns a product they don't go back and buy it again no matter how many bugs get fixed.  They will move onto another product. 

At a time when DAPs are getting more and more expensive it was great Fiio tried to buck the trend and release the M3.  When I saw how much Sony is jacking up the prices on their A20 series vs the previous A10 series I saw the writing on the wall.  Eventually DAP makers will come to their senses and realize they are starting to price themselves out of the market.  In the meantime we need companies like Fiio who believe in producing good products at reasonable prices and I will continue to be a Fiio customer just not with the M3.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #927 of 2,001

Now with that said how many of the population are going to be as picky as a Head-Fier on a $55 DAP, moreover how many of these up and coming old school manufacturers will be making a $55 DAP the size of an M3. IMHO mine was worth it for the SQ and build quality alone
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

You just supported my point, who outside of a Head-fier will buy and be happy with an M3 in its current state at any price?  Do you really think Fiio will sell enough of the M3 if only people like you who are willing to ignore its shortcomings are its potential market?   Somehow I don't believe Fiio was thinking hey even if we release an inexpensive buggy product at least Podster and a few other Head-fier's will buy it. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #928 of 2,001

Isn't that a question to ask Fiio?  And you are making assumptions without knowing any demographics.  It doesn't matter what you or I think - and like I suggested earlier, we simply both have different preferences and needs..

For instance -
  1. With a DAP this small - I have around 2200 tracks on it, and that is more than enough for me
  2. I mostly browse by folder
  3. If I shuffle - I usually shuffle my entire library, but I can still choose artist, and shuffle all albums from that artist (tagged browsing).  Both work on the M3 with my library size.
  4. I typically don't use playlists - but m3u support would be a nice option
  5. Personally I've found the navigation ludicrously simply
  6. The size, SQ and battery life are the big draw cards for me

What I'd personally like to see
  1. Gapless added
  2. A 10 band EQ (realise this won't happen)
  3. Support for m3u in case I ever want it

Those are wants - not needs.

For my personal requirements, the M3 already pretty much does what I need it to do.

I get that it doesn't do what YOU want.  

Not all consumers want what you'd prefer, not all will be satisfied with what I prefer.  But it remains a winner for me personally - even in its current state. Hopefully they'll add features and fix bugs (IME they usually do).  In the meantime - I think you've made your point.  It's not to your taste.  Got it 
wink.gif

Lets see how others get on with it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #929 of 2,001
You just supported my point, who outside of a Head-fier will buy and be happy with an M3 in its current state at any price?  Do you really think Fiio will sell enough of the M3 if only people like you who are willing to ignore its shortcomings are its potential market?   Somehow I don't believe Fiio was thinking hey even if we release an inexpensive buggy product at least Podster and a few other Head-fier's will buy it. 

I'm guessing you haven't had a lot of experience with other DAPs - especially from the Chinese market?  Right now you seem to be comparing with Cowon, Sony, Apple, and Sansa.  Start comparing with some of the mass produced Chinese options.  Your viewpoint may change. Apples with apples ......

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #930 of 2,001

Isn't that a question to ask Fiio?  And you are making assumptions without knowing any demographics.  It doesn't matter what you or I think - and like I suggested earlier, we simply both have different preferences and needs..

For instance -
  1. With a DAP this small - I have around 2200 tracks on it, and that is more than enough for me
  2. I mostly browse by folder
  3. If I shuffle - I usually shuffle my entire library, but I can still choose artist, and shuffle all albums from that artist (tagged browsing).  Both work on the M3 with my library size.
  4. I typically don't use playlists - but m3u support would be a nice option
  5. Personally I've found the navigation ludicrously simply
  6. The size, SQ and battery life are the big draw cards for me

What I'd personally like to see
  1. Gapless added
  2. A 10 band EQ (realise this won't happen)
  3. Support for m3u in case I ever want it

Those are wants - not needs.

For my personal requirements, the M3 already pretty much does what I need it to do.

I get that it doesn't do what YOU want.  

Not all consumers want what you'd prefer, not all will be satisfied with what I prefer.  But it remains a winner for me personally - even in its current state. Hopefully they'll add features and fix bugs (IME they usually do).  In the meantime - I think you've made your point.  It's not to your taste.  Got it 
wink.gif

Lets see how others get on with it.

Right...

popcorn.gif

Still waiting for FiiO to chime in here and address everyone's concerns.  They were real active in this discussion until this thing released...just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back