FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #946 of 2,001

Whoa whoa! ease up little man! lol. I was poking fun at Fiio whilst addressing why I personally have not bought the M3 because I had strong suspicions it wouldn't tick my boxes. I have said here or elsewhere that people use music differently and some features are deal breakers for some and others not.
I already own a 40g player (i9+) so I wasn't about to rush out and replace this with a DAP that despite it's 64gb advertising claims is basically being a bit fraudulent. What use is 64gb if the id3tag library pisses itself at 3700-4000 tracks, my 32gb i9 holds the same amount of tracks (with arguably more features, better sound quality, DSPs, battery life etc etc). I guess it's hand for those 3000 FLAC files perhaps... but anyway I digress..

I am fully aware of how varying people interact differently with their devices, I mean I also own an Alien Shozy for petes sake! I am sure the M3 is very satisfactory to many, and that's fine, it's just not for me (as I feel I have that 40g category covered well enough). I also believe that some of those issues will be ironed out in future firmware updates, and have said to many a buyer to perhaps just hold onto it for now if slightly miffed as Fiio have a good track record of coming through with the fixes. If and when that happens I may also jump on the band wagon also xD Until them my $79AUD is reserved in my bank account or towards another toy should one emerge that piques my interest.

What I do find interesting tho is how Fiio (and other companies) are pretty much treating customers as R&D. I mean it's perhaps forgiveable on the first DAP release from a company but i mean c'mon now... how many DAPs have Fiio pushed out? Isn't this there 4th lol? Why the hell do they release another one that they know isn't going to meet many users criteria, suffer the same issues as their previous nerfed models before they got the updates.... ahhh... I know... it's because it's Christmas round the corner lol. They rushed this for xmas sales and also perhaps to see how many customers actually care about certain bugs/limitations and features at the $55 price point. Who knows... maybe it will never see any fixes or future firmware updates as it's just a $55 DAP.

Give me the Alien :) 

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #947 of 2,001
  M3 could probably push these, but the X1 would be able to do it better.

Hmm maybe, I don't own an X1 to say but I can tell you the M3 drives both my Havi B3's and AKG553's just fine
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #948 of 2,001
Well 5 or 6 days in and I'm delighted with my purchase of the M3. And that takes account of paying the UK price of £49 !

I was looking for a grab & go device - and it truly meets the bill. Yes there are a few small quirks and glitches, but nothing in my view to make the device unusable. The build quality is very good and the sound quality is excellent. I am even quite impressed with the supplied earbuds.

I do not profess to be an expert on DAP's - but I own or have owned a number of different makes including Sansa, Sony & Apple. Each of these devices have had their quirks and drawbacks such as "Refreshing Your Media"; Difficulty mounting sd cards; Losing album art; Requiring bespoke and buggy software to load files; Needing to covert to specific file types to load music etc etc. Other people may have different experiences to mine.

I certainly have no regrets about my purchase and regard the M3 as excellent value for money. I am also cautiously optimistic that Fiio will issue future firmware updates that will improve the user experience.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #949 of 2,001
I actually had a minor yet annoying problem while testing it at a local audio shop, there were some bopping sounds at some part of the track I was playing, it wasn't the problem with my iem as I tried using others but the problem was still there.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #951 of 2,001
It read my 128 Gb Sansa fine.  There is the 4000 file limit issue though (for the tagged database) - so be aware of that.

I'm just using a 64Gb card with Flac files - about 200 albums, and around 2200 tracks.  Works perfectly :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #952 of 2,001
I dont understand why they have file restrictions on these player, not just Fiio, but any player. The reason i want a player that can hold 64+ gigs is i have close to 10,000 songs

I still think i'll give the M3 a shot but i might end up with a 128gig card and make 2 copies of my database to set them a couple different ways and use it on the X2 or just find another clip plus 

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #953 of 2,001
I managed to test the Fiio M3 at my local store, for the price of it, the sounds came out quite decently. The interface is quite alright, but it may take some time to learn how to access all the functionalities. I find it quite interesting that it refuse to play some of my MP3 files and the player got frozen when trying to play some of my purchased AAC files. Apple lossless is fine so far. There are some background hissing as the SE535 LTD is quite revealing, which is alright for me, but at some point of playback I heard some irritating buzzing, which is very unacceptable.

Almost purchased it but the hissing and some files limitation just held me back.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #957 of 2,001
  Apple lossless is fine so far.

Unless they've recently changed the firmware, ALAC does not play.  Tested on my unit.  Does not work.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #960 of 2,001
I got my M3 Thursday. Have not much listening yet, but first impression is almost positive. Device is small, light, sound is very good for the price. I pair M3 with my NA Savant's and results is not bad at all. Sound is clear, no hiss, no sibilant, decent amount of details. Generally I see sound as middle focused. That is not mean absence of highs or lows, but middle band seems to me more dominant, which could be for some a bit tiring. When I connect on M3 my Senn HD598, I had to increase volume from 21 to 30, but sound was still very good. Frankly speaking not that good as X3 II, but why should be, right? I like to compare M3 sound to sound of small bookshelf speaker like Heco Onyx 10 for example. Sound is great and impressive, but sooner or later you will realize, that small speaker have it's limitation. Despite of that fact you can fully enjoy M3 sound a will have a lot of fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back